Are CRTs dead?

/shrug

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/ctx/

Ever since I switched to my Dell FPW2005, I’d rather stab myself in the eye with a knitting needle than go back to a CRT. My old Trinitron sits in shame in my hardware junk closet looking like the ugly worthless brick that it is.

That is definitely a lot cheaper than my monitor. But it’s also 4" smaller, has a much lower maximum resolution, a lower contrast ratio, and is unable to display 32-bit color.

My issue w/ my LCD is that I noticed a ton of tearing w/o vsync on, that did not happen on my CRT. Couldnt stand it, so went back to the CRT at 135hz or whatever the fuck it does, which somehow equals no tearing w/o vsync.

(I have 1 LCD monitor and 1 CRT, games are played on the CRT though I tried to play them on the LCD)

My old Trinitron is getting up in the years but Im not sure I will enjoy an LCD - how much blurriness is there nowadays on that Dell 20"? I primarily play FPS games so Id really rather have none at all. And the native resolution thing strikes me as a pain when it comes to playing games in the future. And yes I know LCDs rock for general purpose I use one at work.

So no one has an answer to the question?

People answered it but I guess you dont like what they said.

Yes, CRTs are dead. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something. Probably CRTs.

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend. You also probabvly won’t find a good CRT in retail stores, which have all but given up on selling them.

Well, people answered with “CRTs suck!” and “No they don’t!” but none of the no-they-don’ts really gave me anything concrete as far as what I should check out.

If someone from the LCD camp wanted to comfort me a little more, they could show me some articles explaining how crappy Apple’s LCD monitors are and how much better another brand is.

On the cheap end, I’ve had a lot of luck with Viewsonic’s monitors, which you can order direct from Viewsonic (shop around for deals first, but their direct prices are usually pretty good). On the higher end, I like Mitsubishi’s Diamondtron monitors (enough so that I bought one).

Thanks.

Well, I don’t know if you’re shopping for one for home or for work, so I don’t know how good of a CRT you want. At the entry-/mid-range I’ve generally had good luck with Samsung monitors - my current gaming monitor is a 950p - though I understand others have been less fortunate; quality control problems perhaps - or maybe just a rough ride over the Pacific - because individual units can vary considerably. At the higher end, I’ve always liked the Mitsubishi Diamond monitors I’ve used: my 17" Diamondtron served me well `til it went belly up. I seem to recall Iiyama used to make pretty good CRTs, back in the day, but I don’t know if they still do.

Yes, CRTs have fallen out of favor. But they’re not completely dead yet, either. You still find vacuum tube amps and phonograph turntables, too. :-)

I believe I mentioned it already, but if you want specifics the Dell FPW2005 is by far the best monitor I’ve ever had, for work and gaming. Everything looks fantastic on it.

I work in traditional print publishing, and here, CRTs are an article of religious faith. If you published cartoons that mocked CRTs, hordes of angry prepress professionals would burn down the LCD embassy.

Seriously, folks. In this business they still think that Apple Macs are something intrinsically different to normal PCs, and you hear phrases like “cleaner signals” in the context of video card output.

In the print industry, eyelids twitch when one unplugs a “Mac” monitor and plugs it into a normal PC. Here, empires of the soul collapsed when mactel was announced. Inner lives flared up in bonfires of cognitive dissonance when Adobe admitted Windows was the larger market for Photoshop. But CRTs will rule forever, their flaws transmuted to virtues, joining the “richness of vinyl records” and the “warmth of amplifier valves” in the pantheon of technological separation anxiety.

If you are talking about color reproduction or update speed, I agree. CRTs are where it’s at.

If you are talking about the crispness and solidity of image, readability of onscreen text, then CRTs don’t hold a candle to LCDs. I have a Dell 1905FP, which at this moment is $313 USD. It’s not the cheapest in the world, but the quality is good.

And considering I stare at text all day long, I absolutely cannot go back to CRTs. And like I said, after getting used to the solid (ie: non flickering) image on LCDs, I can’t go back to CRTs. 100hz on a CRT nowadays feels like 60hz did back in the day. Twenty minutes and I have a nice solid headache with any CRT.

edit: Also, something that hasn’t been mentioned, is how completely tweak free LCDs are (unless you are anal about color reproduction). But I like the fact that out of the box, lines on an LCD are straight, crisp, and clear. No needing to browse through horrible menus for two hours just to get an image that looks straight and even, and that seems to be relatively focused.

Eh, when it came time to buy a new monitor-- oh 6 months ago— strickly for gaming, hands down CRT all the way.

My 19" ViewSonic with that little “superbrite” button thingy… I love it. I should be upgrading soon and assume Dell will be tossing in a 17 or 19 lcd… that goes to the wife- I am definitely keeping my CRT.

I look at a $800 CRT, and see a larger size, more vibrant colors, but a larger size compared to an equal $800 LCD. Bang for the buck, CRT is still top for image quality, and that’s all that really matters to me. Smaller size is nice, I love carrying around my LCD. But I still use my (old) CRT for all things gaming.

I dare you to use that LCD for a month, and see if you can actually make the switch back.

EIZO/Nanao no longer sells CRTs.

The CRT is dead.