Are we breeding civil, substantive racists and misogynists?

I think we need to move away from the very idea that it’s about hardship at all in the first place. It’s largely based on a assumptions many assumptions are stacked against other groups and for the one.

I mean back to the original topic here, racists are trying win their war not by trying to prove they’re not racist but by arguing in circles that racism is just made up. They’re getting away with it because people allow them to redefine pretty much anything they want as long as they say it politely or at the are end or start with “just asking.”

Do you fear that a cop is going to shoot you when he pulls you over?

15 years ago? No. Today? Absolutely. The police have become a paramilitary force in America that use force first and cover up later. See Daniel Shaver incident, amomg others. Minorities do not have the exclusive privledge of being shot in this country by scumbag cowardly police.

That’s totally true, but do you really great they are going to shoot you every time you encounter cops?

I don’t.

As an Englishman through and through never underestimate the ability of the English as a people not give a rats arse about what went before, and particularly if it comitted in 'foreign climes, except in the woolliest possible terms - for example everybody knows Rorkes Drift from Zulu but very few that we created concentration camps in the Boer War. Most peoples view of India is Mowgli, Kipling and possibly Clive and the black hole of Calcutta.

It drives the neighbours nuts. Cromwell is a bloke with a funny hat and possibly the new model army. There’s no understanding of the impact he had on Ireland. The potato famine is a vague concern but as it’s got ‘potato’ in the title the standard reaction is that they had to miss they could eat something that wasn’t potato not that a million people died.

The Scots, while complicit in some of the extremes of empire, equally get forgotten and things like the Highland Clearances are the vaguest of our thoughts.

We’re like a drunk gets into a fight but wakes the following morning and claims to not remember it.

I don’t think that a recipe for anybody to follow.

This is a great analogy.

That’s not the same thing as saying they don’t get treated poorly. These are areas where racism keeps showing up, and it’s not about being poor. The very poor typically don’t buy houses.

I like the statement but I’ve seen the response to that. The benefits are invisible in action most of the time while there are some highly visible disadvantages especially in getting government contract (a big deal to some of the people I know in skilled trades) and college admissions/scholarships.

Thanks for the laugh. I’m not sure any politics from long ago is a seriously good model to follow!

Whether an advantage is visible or invisible doesn’t really change that it is an advantage – it only changes whether you’re perceiving it or not. And that’s why we point it out.

I’d never heard of government contracts being an area where white folks are disadvantaged. The college admission thing comes up fairly often as an example of clear-cut discrimination, but that skips over the context that society is doing its best to course-correct literally centuries of disadvantage. The head designer of Magic the Gathering has a great illustration of this using the trading card game as a metaphor:

Chris and Pat are each building a Commander deck. Each week they’re allowed to visit the game store and buy cards. Chris gets to buy ten cards a week and can get any rarity. Pat only gets to buy two cards a week and can only buy commons and uncommons.

In ten weeks, Chris has a deck. It takes Pat fifty weeks. When they play, Chris beats Pat the vast majority of the time because Chris’s deck is just significantly stronger.

Now let’s say we recognize that this is unfair and want to correct it to make the two decks play evenly against one another. We could make a new rule. Both players can buy five cards and two can be a rare or mythic rare.

That’s fair, right? Each now has the same restrictions. It’s “equal”. But it’s not. Chris got a huge advantage for a long time. If the goal is to help Pat’s deck have a chance against Chris’s, you have to give Pat a period where Pat gets access to more and better cards than Chris otherwise Pat will never catch up.

That is why equality is not the answer to a shortage of diversity.

What he doesn’t really talk about, though, is the effect on Chris. Chris is going to feel really bad once they start helping Pat catch up. From Chris’s point of view, even if he acknowledges the inequality and understands why the correction is happening, he’s still going to feel like he’s being punished for something he didn’t do and had no control over. I think white folks who get passed over at college probably feel the same way.

So what’s right? Do we give everyone equal footing, even though it’ll mean that disadvantaged populations stay disadvantaged? Or do we course-correct, even though it’ll mean that we have to intentionally skew things in one direction for a while?

True. I’m not supporting the argument about invisible advantages and highly visible disadvantages. Nor am I trying to use it as some sort of devil’s advocate. I’m describing what I’ve heard both online and in person where a guy gives Timex’s argument and someone else follows up with a line similar to your line about privilege.

I don’t like or trust everything that comes out of education research but there is fairly clear evidence that pure repetition doesn’t do much at all for long term change. It works well for some people if there is active engagement, a level of trust and respect, and motivation. But if someone isn’t engaged, doesn’t have at least a basic level of trust and respect for the other person, and hasn’t been presented with any real motivation to change it just bounces off.

That’s why the hard one on one that Arrendek mentioned is critical - it can help to provide the engagement and trust/respect at time. In a sense I think that is why some of the gender identity attitudes might be changing faster because it has become clear that most everyone knows someone under the LBGTQ+ umbrella so there is more motivation to change and accept. To you and me the Magic the Gathering story is a pretty good analogy.

I know many people who would lose all engagement at the words Magic the Gathering because they really don’t know anything about it. Even worse is the fact that the story just leads right back to the original argument. So lets go to Tim, the person I’ve just given a name to who is thinking based on the thought that Timex brought up.

That’s just wealth. Chris is the boss man and Pat is the worker. Of course Chris can by more. All this liberal talk about privilege is just BS; I have no idea how much Bill Gates makes in a week but even if you give me that amount I’ll never catch up because of his head start.

tl:dr Even good analogies work best with people who are engaged, motivated, and have a feeling of mutual respect.

Well they are. It is pretty complicated but this explains the gist of it.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/government-contracting-for-small-and-minority-owned-businesses/

Federal law mandates that the government allocate 23 percent of its contracting work to small businesses. Of this portion, 5 percent is meant for businesses with economically or socially disadvantaged owners. These are essentially minority-owned businesses.
It isn’t chump change. Total federal contracting in its 2011 fiscal year (ending September 30, 2011) was $477 billion, so 5 percent works out to $23.85 billion.

There is an additional set aside 5% for women-owned small business, 3% for historically under utilized business zones (AKA poor areas) and 3% for service-disabled-veteran-owned small business. A contract can get counted towards more than one goal: an award to an SDB in a HUBZone that is owned by a service-disabled minority woman veteran would be counted towards all the goals. My friend owns an asphalt pavement company as a women she wins a fair number of federal contracts because there aren’t other women-owned companies. So all told a non-veteran white male business owner is only competing for 84% of the business.

Interesting, but you are missing 5% and the last statement seems to contradict. Shouldn’t that figure be somewhere between 89-95% based on how much category overlap there is?

Ah sorry, missed the initial 5% in the quote…so, between 84-95%.

5% minority
5% women
3% poor areas
3% disable vet
16% total. I am not totally sure how folk who qualify for multiple categories affect the bidding process. I think you maybe right they’d reduce the total.

Yeah, sorry, overlooked the initial percentage in the quote.

@wumpus I thought of you when this came past my attention yesterday. You have probably already seen it.

I think there are many bits in the essay, and probably more in the book, that speak to the fact that if the goal is to change people’s minds then the progressives are going about it the wrong way. Somewhat independently the essay reminded me that earlier you said that I should relate some things that had happened to me because, as you said, you had related your personal story. So I will.

Why I am still writing
You are pedantic, verbose, and extremely passionate about issues surrounding mobile hardware because you have spent your career designing and improving software to run on this hardware. I have spent my career guiding people’s minds as they move from strongly held misconceptions or prior beliefs to what is considered the truth of how the universe works at this time.I’m as pedantic, verbose, and passionate about changing peoples misconceptions as you are about getting people to see the evil of Qualcomm.

I know that isn’t every progressives goal. Some are focused on political power because they can use the power of the state to both protect from wrong actions and to compel correct actions. I’ll gladly get out of their way and let the people good at politics do their thing while I support them as best I can. It’s a different goal and currently it rightly gets more attention and resources but it isn’t the only valid goal.

Diversity of Opinion
I mentioned this already. My most direct personal influence has been the shear diversity of ideas and opinions concerning racism and ethnic bigotry from my minority students when talking to each other. In Fall of 2014 my schedule changed and suddenly I had seniors in my room before school for about 20 minutes most day with freedom to talk other than some moderation on slurs, personal attacks, and if it got too heated (I only had to invoke that once) . Lots of high school issues of course but also a lot of serious talk on serious issues.

Cop violence is the one thing that brings them together. Otherwise I’ve heard every possible progressive or conservative view on immigration (legal, illegal, and refugee), the meaning and validity of privilege, whether affirmative action in colleges, college aid, and overall is a good thing, is race or poverty a more important problem, American’s role in the world, and even if racism is still an issue. Most were anti-Trump but there very a few notable exceptions in the last two years who felt America needed to be stronger.

18 year olds are people with all the differences of opinion that people hold. But it did surprise me because it hadn’t been that long since the idea of privilege, in the racism sense as opposed to the older “wealthy” meaning, had appeared and made perfect sense to me. I was a convert with all the zeal of a convert to the idea that colorblindness was just a different form of racism. But the students showed me that nothing is clear cut.

Without really talking to me they reminded me that paternalism is also bigotry. That everyone has different priorities because we all have different experiences. And that any fight against bigotry is going to have to be a bunch of little one on one conversions because of these different priorities.

Relevant

Qualcomm is little more than an unfortunate (but definitely regressive) footnote in computing history. The difference is that I am literally building the world I want to see. You are using that software right now. It is completely free, open source, and part of the daily experience of hundreds of thousands of people per day — and growing.

I’m out here building stuff, and I still have no idea what you are talking about other than generic generalities.

Yet another cute graphic. As I said before - I agree with Scalzi. I agree (with one unimportant quibble) with the cartoon about the “self made man”. I agree with the graphic you just posted. In fact that graphic is a great visual representation of my “Play by the rules and Play fair. They are not the same.” Play by the rules means don’t cut the fence down or go steal someone else’s box. Play fair means

We are in complete agreement that inequality based on previous active racism is a big huge deal. We’ve been in this agreement since you started the thread.

We have identified a problem! Which leads to two further questions in my mind. Where does it rank in terms of other problems we also face? How do we solve it?

Your story was that you had an epiphany when one lady told you her opinion. I’ve had a different response. Unlike you by 2012 or 2013 I was a convert to the idea that the older version of colorblindness being the solution to racism was not enough. Maybe I’d seen the graphic you just posted. Almost certainly I’d read Scalzi’s essay. It doesn’t matter what the source I was a convert.

But in 2014 and basically every year since then I’ve been privy to a fairly unfiltered gripe session about what is wrong with the world by 200+ minority 18 year olds. They have no consensus that this built in over time racism is a big deal. Some do. Some think its a small thing that is less important then other problems. Others think it isn’t an issue to at.

My epiphany was that just because I passionate believed something was a serious problem it was not my place to force anyone else to view it as the biggest problem. Solving the problem of institutionalized racism is a big, worth, and important goal. But it isn’t everyone’s goal and assuming that we know best is also a form of bigotry.

Final we come to how are we going to solve the issue. So far your idea seems to be make online forums echo chambers. There is value it in.

Reading from both directly stated and implied statements in many of the threads we see some people are going with the idea of pointing out the issue. I tend to also lump this group in with the people who are pointing out the more immediate racist political issue. I’m mixing two points and that might be where I’m losing you but I mix them because both of them are fundamentally attempting to change the minds of people from a misconception (institutionalized racism and hidden racism found in nationalism are OK or at least minor) to a hopefully better conception (institutionalized racism is a big deal, there is a form of racism even in some actions that seem motivated by things other than race).

Interestingly enough since I am professionally involved in changing conceptions I am interested in changing conceptions. But that involves a lot of discussion because just pointing out the issue or, even worse, yelling about the issue is only going to change the conceptions in a few people (if you want to talk about real change not just repeating s rote phrase). It’s going to take being willing to talk about what motivates some of the people who hold differing opinions. It’s going to take figuring out ways to engage them without making them instantly close their mind,

At one point years ago I was naive and though we could wait them out but the most negative result of listening to my students is that Dr. Haidt (interesting that you posted a Medium article that mentioned him - I linked to his work earlier in the thread) seems to be right and a conservative mindset might just be something that is a constant in some portion of humankind throughout different cultures. It’s not just old white guys so letting people die off isn’t going to swing the needle far enough.

Looking at politics I’d say we have very roughly 50% of the US that is very likely not to agree with you and I on institutionalized, built up over time racism and the need for fairness not just equality. Do you have any ideas to solve it or do you just want to keep posting things I’ve seen before?

I don’t normally link to TED talks because I prefer other mediums but Haidt has one that I suspect I saw ages ago. Certainly the MFT has been floating around in my mind for a good while and feels important to me.

In pulling up that video I noticed that he had a more recent TED video that I’d never seen. I think it is incredible on target. He’s more famous so I guess I have to say I agree with him not he agrees with me. :>

One of the key quotes is

And basically, the more people feel that they are the same, the more they trust each other, the more they can have a redistributionist welfare state.

By polarizing the debate and further policing that polarization out of a sole concern for the Caring foundation we divide people and make it harder to solve the issue that is structural racism built up over time. Or, as I said a long while ago but clearly did not communicate.

When the world knows beauty as beauty, ugliness arises
When it knows good as good, evil arises

I still have no clue what point you are making, if there is one at all? I cannot discern it. Are you just typing random words into a box on the Internet at this point?

As far as actual change, it’s all voting in the USA. If younger kids don’t vote, life expectancy keeps growing, and older people vote more often … plus much lower birth rates … then yeah, we are in for dark times.

Old people are statistically regressive by definition.