Are you fan enough for Crusader Kings 2?

I don’t know what resolution or screen size you are playing at, but I’m at 1080 on a 24" screen. I can’t imagine playing this or EU4 on 4K. I really hope paradox don’t saddle Imperator with the interface scaling and font issues of CK2.

Their newer titles have had some interface scaling ability.

I’m on 1680x1050 - I actually looked into UI scaling mods but the ones I found require 1920x1080 as minimum, so I’m not sure if I can even go any bigger with my screen size.

Flagged by Paradox as ‘experimental’, ‘unsupported’, and still broken*… :P

*main issue I notice is that tooltips in the lower part of the screen don’t appear when using the scaling.

Ahh! I haven’t noticed any problems on my machine, but I did notice the Experimental flag. That certainly explains it. :)

I’ve been itching for a medieval game that isn’t EU4, and I thought, maybe CK2? I haven’t played in a couple years, since I really have a love/hate relationship with it. It’s like the game messes with you on purpose … this kinda sums it up (although it references DLC events that I don’t own.)

Never land your heir man.
They are ungrateful little shits. Even if they are loyal once the AI gets its hands on a ruler, shit will always hit the fan.

• He hires a shit doctor who maims/kills him
  • His wife dies so he remarries on his own… to a garbage ugly imbecile
  • He will piss off his sub vassals so they rebel and when he personally leads troops to put the rebellion down he will be maimed/killed in battle
  • He will be a dumbass man whore and cuck your most powerful vassals so they hate you when he takes over
  • He will bang disease ridden Sally from down the street and pick up lovers pox
  • He will get more events which means more time for him to ruin his traits with shit choices
  • He’ll make rivals with your vassals and neighbors
  • He will plot to kill some nobody, get caught and become a known murderer or worse a kinslayer if its a dynasty member
  • He will educate his kids with shit educators and make sure they turn out terrible with the freaken theology education

But then, having watched a crapton of history docs lately (the Bloody Crown was really good), history is replete with shit rulers and rando events, so I thought maybe I just need to chill and go with the flow.

Only to find out, my knowledge of the game had completely atrophied. Luckily, Youtube read my brainwaves and offered up a CK2 let’s play video. Turns out that LP is way more entertaining than actually playing:

As it happens, a major expansion is releasing early Nov. The CK2 subreddit seems really excited by it.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Holy_Fury

I’ve only bought a couple small DLCs; I’m considering buying Conclave, Way of Life and maybe Sons of Abraham and a portrait pack. I had thought maybe the Old Gods, but from reading sounds like that just results in huge blobs, which I’d rather avoid. If I start playing and it sticks, I might pony up for Holy Fury since it adds so much.

Patch notes are up.

They’re adding interface scaling in the patch it seems like.

Is this likely to be the last major patch/DLC?

As long as we keep buying… there’s no official final statement, but probably not yet.

I quietly hope this will be the last DLC. Having played CK2 recently, there’s more than enough “stuff” going on now. Surely PDS at some point have to say that’s enough and move their staff onto other projects they’ve got going.

They’ve gone all in on Glitterhoof it seems

That’s actually kind of cool. But I just wish Paradox would put some of that effort in interface improvements and a decent tutorial. I want to love this game so much but I just bang my head against the wall each time I try it. Maybe I’ll give it another go over Christmas break.

Whoa. It only took them 5 years!

I will be appreciative of this. But it irritates me off when they lied and said it wasn’t possible 4 years ago, and 3 years ago and etc… even when I showed them some mods that were able to get it about 80% right.

Of course, it’s technically possible: they could write a whole new engine that handles scaling off the bat. What developers tend to mean by not possible is not feasible. The fact that it took them 4+ years to get it in bears that out. It’s been a much-requested feature, it’s not like they haven’t wanted to put it in out of spite or something. :)

Newer games like Stellaris got it in faster, but CK2 is on an older version of the engine. The major engine upgrade happened with EU4, and the newer titles (HOI4 and Stellaris) took it from there.

Our software engineer always says, anything is possible - it’s just a matter of how much you’re willing to pay for it. :) I run some mods that make the various menus larger - I don’t have a ginormous monitor so the interface for me is fine (so long as I don’t stream it to the TV.)

I did manage to get re-addicted to the game; the largest problem I had with it, i.e., landed offspring being ruined and with no control over their marriages is largely gone - including an option to arrange marriages for ten years after granting a title. I actually want to give kids their own land now, as they tend to to stagnate if kept in court.

I’m waiting for the DLC to go on sale with the release of Holy Fury. I did buy Way of Life (totally worth the $5), Monks and Mystics and some portrait packs, but I plan on getting Conclave and the Old Gods along with Holy Fury. Entertainment dollar/per hour makes it worth it iMO.

Edit: Link to the features and patch notes for Holy Fury.

That’s great. I was worried I would have to wait for the rescale UI mod to be updated before diving back in.

So is the rescale patch live yet? And is it compatible with font mods?

Good question. It says it is, but I did not download an update. I think I’ll uninstall and reinstall from scratch just to be safe.

Oh wait, when I look at DLC it says it’s not installed.

Coincidence, that you can turn everything into animals in an expansion that could easily be misread “Holy Furry”? I think not!

Crusader Kings 2 is now finally becoming the best pawlitics simulator ever designed. Purrfect! Paradox are the true meowsters of Grand Strategy.

I’m pretty sure this is the last expansion and they’ve had this in their back pocket for a while. The horse elect was always one of the best events in the game. I loved it when that would trigger and I’d try to keep him on as long as possible. I think they planned on just a horse empire easter egg and then someone said, “Why just horses?”

Looking forward to making a cat empire. I just hope someone mods in lots of additional animal portraits to meld with the current art-style. bbbbppppptttttttt