Are you fan enough for Crusader Kings 2?

Paradox has launched a new site for Crusader kings 2.

I wonder what was wrong with the old site?:)

ravenight, do you own the entire British islands yet?

Just resumed my Tamil/Pandya game. It’s the first game I’ve played since I bought Charlemange (on sale, of course).

I’m very, very, very, very disappointed by the chronicle.

I expected it to be a list of all of the births, deaths, marriages and fun events that happens to anyone in your family*. Instead it’s just a giant list of every battle the player wins and all of the begging and end dates for worse. It’s entirely pointless, especially as the average war involves millions of insignificant battles.

• The game itself is terrible about keeping you in touch with your family. I want to know when anyone in my dynasty has a baby, but I can’t get that information in a pop-up without also getting every other character in the world to make a pop-up when they have a baby. I wasn’t even informed that my father (who owns land) married a new woman and had two male children with her. This was important because my female ruler was now effectively disinherited from lands her mother (or was it the grandfather?) worked hard to get her father! She was all set up to rule…

Thankfully she still is after some swift executions. Though, and I don’t understand this at all, my ruler’s own son ended up taking the heir spot in that duchy after the two babies died. (I was definitely the heir at one point…)

edit: ALSO, I can’t believe I still make rookie mistakes whereby I usurp a kingdom only to find out it’s still bloody gavelkind. ARGhhhhhhhhhhh. The game really should warn you about that. (It should also allow you to access the crown laws screen for any title, so you can see who’s in line. GRIPE GRIPE GRIPE. Still a fun game :))

That sucks. Well, guess that’s another reason for me to never buy Charlemagne.

No, though I haven’t played that much (my genius ruler just turned 18). Building up the piety and cash to create the kingdom of Wales has been a pain in the butt (I had -4 piety when I took over as a kid and you don’t get ambition or focus until you are 16) and I just managed to consolidate my lands again. Since you can’t do any plotting during a regency, I had to wait to revoke the counties. Then I had to spend all the money from the jews to defend against a danish invasion, so now I get the fun of trying to win back England from the vikings.

Man am I enjoying this, though. Just before the genius son took over, I had gotten a claim on a neighboring county that belonged to the guy who had just kicked my butt in a war. So I really wanted to try to press that claim for my older brother, since he would automatically become a vassal and love me (and since it would be lost if he died), but I just didn’t have the forces to beat both Deheubarth and Mercia, who were allied. I used some bastard siblings to create alliances with East Anglia, Kent, and some Irish chieftain, giving me about 2.5k troops I could potentially call in. Deheubarth had about 1.1k, but Mercia had like 2.5k on its own. So first, I went to the king of Deheubarth and figured out how much each of the allies liked him vs. me. Then I made sure that not only did my allies like me at least 20 points or so more than him, but I really buttered up the king of Mercia. I sent my chancellor in to improve relations, then gave him a big gift and asked him to educate my sister (which required a little more buttering up of the regent uncle). Once he was up to 75 opinion of me, I figured I was good to go, so I pressed my claim, called my banners (turns out one of my allies couldn’t join because he had his own war - mental note, need to check that first, next time), rounded up the troops my allies sent, and won a 1.5k vs 1k battle, then hunted down and destroyed his forces, and was able to carve off the province.

So combine crazy politics like that with the ability to use your ruler’s focus to shape future events with my new understanding of things like using matrilineal marriages to bring in better councilors, using marriages to minor court members to acquire good teachers (and what it means to be a good teacher thanks to those youtube tutorials), and how to expand your kingdom despite what used to seem like a daunting system of constraints, and I finally feel like this game is what I’ve always wanted it to be.

I’ve resorted to building an extensive list of “important characters” and then culling people out as I manage to deal with them or whatever. All my vassals and important relatives, allies, or enemies, I click that star on, and I get much richer info about them (plus it’s a lot easier to navigate to their page).

If you go to the page for a title by clicking on it, you can get the list of all claimants to the title (a great way to find people to help you usurp it…) - I suppose it doesn’t directly show you who the heir is, but I believe you can find him or her in that list.

The issue with usurping a gavelkind title is that it will almost NEVER be synced to your other title’s succession laws, and so will nearly always be lost, so it would have been better to have simply not taken it in the first place. And you also cannot destroy a gavelkind title.

Another sale on GamersGate! At this point the only dlc I don’t have is Way of Life. Should I get it? I’ve heard mixed things.

Who’s saying mixed things about WOL? It along with Old Gods are probably the most well received ones, and add in LoR to complete the “most needed” list.

Some people upthread said the seduction options are overpowered and… weird?

They have steadily nerfed seduction. The latest patch on 8th of April did so even more.

Looks like the next Crusader Kings 2 expansion deals with the Mongols.

Wait for it… https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=643&v=szxPar0BcMo The Mongols!

Horse Lords today.

It’s almost a shame because I had a nice Irish ironman game going. I worry that the new mechanics will throw sone wrenches in the works, plus that’s going to be an older save file.

Bright side is that the Nomad mechanics do look pretty cool.

Tom M

I think you can still play your prior Irish Ironman game if you load up the game under the prior patch, if you right click game in steam, go properties -> betas -> then the drop down box. It just means no Horse Lords. PDS have been pretty good about keeping ironman games going like that.

I actually did know about that. But, I like to have the most current version. Paradox has been really good about using the Beta properties to help users stay at the version they want.

That’s a good reminder and good point, thanks.

Tom M

Holy shit the nerfs to archers and horse archers. And strangely to light infantry too (they’re even worse now!)

Finally started to learn how to play this today. Had run every other time when I started up the game at the sheer amount of tabs. Working through the learning scenario and things seem manageable for now.

I started fresh after the update. I picked the Charlemaigne start date and found the little two province Mongol start. I was able to absorb the horde I was next to and after learning how and why to split clans -learning the hard way with minor clan uprisings- I’ve almost got clan titles and relationships figured out. That’s almost there’s still a lot of missteps and misunderstandings there. All in all I like what I’ve seen.

Even with a totally vanilla set up and a new ironman game I did hit a few rude CTDs. Oh well that’s a new but of DLC for you.

Tom M

Courtesy of the ck2 subreddit.

Haha. Very funny.

Crusader Kings 2 has a nifty little tutorial now that is very, very helpful. I say “now” but I don’t really know how long it has been around. All I know is that I just noticed it for the first time last month and it made me unafraid of the game.

That’s all a roundabout way of saying that I get the joke. I just can’t figure out why my sons want their fiefs so badly. Just let me die in peace.