Are you good enough at Twilight Struggle to enter a tournament?

BTW, my Playdek name is I_Borges.

We’ve got @DWAnderson, @Thraeg, @Borges, @rho21, @Grunden, and maybe @CraigM and @roguefrog since the last update, so we have 19 potential players? With 5 more, that’s six groups of four. Perfect!

I’ll throw my hat into the ring. The people I play will probably appreciate the free win. My Playdek name is SadleyBradley.

Add me …

dstone112 / dstone112

Don.

Sure, the mighty ocean will wave again!

greatatlantic here and on playdek.

I’m in! :)

We are up to 22 players now! (Not counting @CraigM and @roguefrog as I haven’t heard back from them definitively.)

I bought the game, and am learning it for the explicit and express purpose of joining the tournament @Syzygy

I’m in. Playdek name: millertime059

Great, adding you!

So I have come to a realization, one I had been curious of, but dismissed.

I am going to get killed.

I know @Brooski has said that to really play Twilight Struggle, you need to know what events are out there. I thought ‘sure, that makes sense’, not realizing how many ways you can use each card. So I will apologize now for any who do not have the fortune of facing me ;)

Now where was that 400 page guide, gotta download that to my phone for reading material when I… have my only uninterupted time during the day.

I think Brooski was referring to twilightstrategy.com, which is a great learning resource.

I’d recommend trying a game or two where you reference your hand with http://twistrug.jjt.io/#/ so that you can look at various twilightstrategy blurbs on your cards and then plan your hand prior to your first card play.

In my experience, annotated games are also very helpful, but I also enjoy reading through that sort of thing.

So how much longer do I have to practice up (i.e. beat up the computer to learn card combos) before meeting my doom against @Brian_Reynolds or @Brooski?

Because, guys, I’m gonna tell you, my confidence levels are not super high on my odds here. If I can get out of this with more than a single win, I’ll consider it a success. ;)

I’ve been trying to round up a couple of other players to round out the 24. In a couple of posts I’ve told people they will have until Tuesday evening, so I’ll close participation on this Tuesday evening.

In the meantime, I’d love to have feedback on the detailed tournament rules which I’ll post below.

Twilight Tournament Second Round rules version 0.3

Game Setup

1. Random sides
  2. +1 influence to US
  3. Optional cards included (thus +1 to US)
  4. Game time of 7 days per side.
  5. You can choose to use the Turn Zero expansion if both sides agree. In that case use no influence handicap to either side.
  6. You can choose NOT to use the optional cards if both sides agree. In that case give the US a +2 handicap.

Tournament format

1. Five rounds of Swiss – each player plays five games
  2. Participants in the last tournament will be seeded by the round reached
  3. In case of an odd number of players, byes will be given in round 1 to the 1st seed, round 2 to the 2nd seed, and so on
  4. Additional championship rounds will be added if necessary

Result reporting
Winners report results and game scores

Versioning
0.1: Initial version
0.2: Updated for five rounds of Swiss
0.3: Added option for no optional cards if both players agree

Calling @Dave_Perkins! I know you’ve run a lot of Ascension tournaments. Any feedback on the brackets and how to do the tiebreakers? Any good tools for seeding?

If we don’t end up with a nice number like 24, another option would be to use a guaranteed three game bracket like this one (specifically for 23).

http://www.printyourbrackets.com/3-game-guarantee/23-team-3-game-guarantee-tournament-bracket.html

This might also be more robust if we have someone drop out. Not sure how that would be handled.

I’m starting to think we should go in this direction. Thoughts?

Man, I’d enter, but I’ve only played it one and a half times this last Christmas, and I’d be little more than cannon fodder. Dug the game, but this is clearly a game with hidden depths. There’s a couple of old dudes on BGG who’ve played the game together like 150 times.

It’s a great opportunity to learn in a structured way.

I can’t wrap my head around all this at all, but wanted to thank you for setting this up.

For seeding purposes, here is my understanding of participants in the first tournament that were eliminated in round 2 or later (and will be seeded in this tournament if participating). The number to the participant’s left is the elimination round.

Winner: Berbatov

5 jeromeymartin

4 Brian_Reynolds
4 Syzygy

3 east83raider
3 CF_Kane
3 rho21
3 gumers

2 Greatatlantic
2 Courteous_D
2 B4cchus
2 dstone112
2 moss_icon
2 tgb123
2 bmarinari
2 Mark_L

If we go with the 23 person 3-game guaranteed format, there are nine first round byes. Those would go to participants in the first tournament who advanced to the third round or better, and any remaining byes would go to a random participants who made it to round 2.

Based on the above, here is the randomized, seeded list of the current 23 participants.

Berbatov / Berbatov
jeromeymartin / Habbaku
Brian_Reynolds / Cattlesquat
Syzygy / Syzygy
rho21 / rho21
gumers / Gumers
dstone112 / dstone112
tgb123 / tgb
Thraeg / Thraeg
CraigM / millertime059
Chappers / Chappers
Brooski / spacerumsfeld