Are you good enough at Twilight Struggle to enter a tournament?

When will this start?

I’d like to give a few more people a chance to sign up. We have 22 people signed up now, and I’d love to hit 32 so that we can do a 5-round single-elimination tournament. If sign ups cease, we can move forward with 22 in a different format.

No Round Robin to enter the single game elimination? If we reach 24, we can have 6 divisions, every winner advances plus 2 “wild cards” for a playoff of 8.

That felt more fair and gave players more opportunities to play games, but I defer to the posters actually doing the organization.

If we get fewer than 32 (or even if we get 32), we can explore alternative options. I will note that 32 breaks down into 8 pods of four teams, resulting in a clean break of each winner to quarterfinals, if we want to do it that way.

This being a forum game, keep in mind the inevitable dropouts.

I’m in (twitter-shamed by Brooski :) )

W00t! :)

On another topic, while I like the idea of round-robin groups, I do think we should keep in mind, as Grunden says, that this is a foum game and thus forcing weaker players to submit to multiple beatdowns might not be in the best interests of everyone. While World Cup teams have to play all their games before they get on the plane to go home, a player who has no chance of advancing might be understandably reluctant to complete a second or third game against markedly superior competition. When we played the Official Unofficial Battle of the Bulge Tournament (https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/official-qtt-shenandoah-studio-sponsored-battle-of-the-bulge-tournament/71603) we only had one dropout in a tournament of 64 players. I’d like to think that was because only one game was mandated per player.

Lastly, hi @gumers! I’m the one you defeated so conclusively who pointed you to the tournament. Glad you could join us!

Unfortunately I can only commit once I know dates/times. Would love to join though and get knocked down by what seems like far superior competition.

The prospect of a tournament is exactly the sort of motivation I need to get this game out of my backlog and learn it. I’m in if we have a little time before it actually kicks off.

I do like this implementation of the game quite a bit, but after playing
the web-adapted version of the game (by Chantry – not sure if that was a
company or a guy), I can’t help but think this one is a bit slow and
bloated. They took it down when the publisher requested it, but while it
lasted it was very impressive. Evertything was in there, and it was very
simple and crisp. You could play through a game very quickly.

I have sped up the animations to full speed, but I wish I could get rid of
them altogether. No frills, just game.

I also miss Chantry. The ability to copy out a text log of what happened in your game was also very useful. I don’t think there is anyway to export a log from the Playdek version.

Do we want to kick off sometime after this weekend (holiday long weekend in the US)?

I take advantage of the async play, so whatever works for everyone else is good for me.

Async play is going to make a tournament take forever. Well over 2 months even with shorter 7 day time limits.

Tentative sign-up, together with a couple of questions – 1) if we are playing async, it’s effectively correspondence, so I wanted to check that using external resources, e.g. strategy guides, to read up on specific plays is above-board; 2) is it possible to take part as a team, playing of a single account, of course? (there isn’t any way to enforce either of these points, but I’m not interested cheating, nor causing misunderstandings, hence I would like to clarify explicitly and in advance)

I don’t see why checking external resources would be a problem. I also don’t think there is a problem in playing as a team. In any event, as you point out, a prohibition on either would not be enforceable.

Agreed! I would actually encourage new players to at least read the general strategy tips at www.twilightstrategy.com - it makes the game’s general strategy concepts much more clear.

Certainly it’s a better experience when you don’t accidentally trigger DEFCON 1 due to not knowing the danger cards.

That’s the worst!

Any word on the tournament?

Sign me up. I have a short holiday coming up, though, so may need to withdraw if that’s incompatible with the schedule.