Are you good enough at Twilight Struggle to enter a tournament?

Gumers defeated Tylertoo.

Any news about the second round?

A tight game that was all sorts of entertaining unfortunately ended with a forfeit on timer by @tcgamer. We had played live for about an hour and a half on Thursday, and had plans to do so again on Friday, but alas it did not work out.

Which is a shame because though I held an edge in region scoring, it was a dead heat in points.

Thanks for the game. Slow and steady wins the race.

I ended up with a Europe scoring card when gumers had complete domination of Europe. My efforts to chip away at that domination were rebuffed each turn, and I had no choice but to play the scoring card and end the game. Ouch!

Craig, I apologize for timing out. Ended up having to work much later than expected, so I wasn’t available.

As you noted, it’s a shame, because we were tied going into the last couple of turns. Thanks for the competitive and friendly game, and good luck the rest of the way.

Cheers, Terry

Shame the final game had to end this way since it seemed like a good one.

Thanks everyone for wrapping up all your games on schedule by our target date – Feb 4!

I’ll seed the second round now! Woohoo!

Second round matchups are available at the challonge bracket.

Please read and note the following!

• Please do your best to finish round 2 games by February 22 at the latest. Earlier would be better!
  • If your game seems to be progressing slowly, talk to your opponent early about finding overlapping times to both play and make progress in the game. Particularly if you seem to be in different timezones.
  • Don’t forget that the handicap is +1 US. The invite screen should look like this:

Challenge to Habbaku issued

Well I’m doomed. Challenge to @Syzygy issued.

Thanks! I’ll accept tomorrow or Monday morning. Parents are in town this weekend.

No worries, I’ll probably be at the hospital tomorrow anyhow for a baby.

I invited @Otthegreat myself.

Invite sent to @gumers

@TwilightStruggleTournament participants, second round seeding is complete. Please check the above.

Invite sent to @tcgamer.

TC, if you’d like to coordinate some hour-long chunks where we could play at the same time, send me a PM. Good luck to us both!

Invite to DoggieMon (Romero) sent.

The Russians, controlled by rho21, defeated Brooski (spacerumsfeld) by scoring track in Turn 4 AR1. It was one of those games where almost everything landed in my favour, so it didn’t feel as though Brooski had much chance.

I opened with Suez Crisis and a coup of Iran (rolled a 6). Brooski was unable to get back into the Middle East that turn, despite trying, and had to use a lot of ops to try to keep pace in Asia. This resulted in a late Blockade play removing 5 influence from Germany, which turned into a quick Europe domination in turn 2.
I scored the Middle East for 6 points in the headline, so Turn 3 was all about the fight for Asia. I flipped Thailand early on with the China card, but then I slipped up and allowed Brooski to take enough SE Asian countries to break domination. Handily, I had just enough high ops cards to retake domination and hold onto it until Brooski had to score Asia.
That was a 16 point lead going into turn 4, and I drew Africa scoring for an immediate 8 points and the game.

Good luck for the rest of the tournament, Brooski. It certainly feels as though you should have used up all of your bad luck in this game. :)

Are the following games underway?

@Brian_Reynolds vs. @Thraeg
@Infested_terran vs. @buzznaut
@ForzaA vs. @TheRockSal
@Chappers vs. @tylertoo

Also @Berbatov vs. @dstone112