Are you good enough at Twilight Struggle to enter a tournament?

Any results? Has been 21 days :)

Currently US +8 in turn 6 AR2. Not seen @Berbatov for a few days now.

I have about 17 days on my clock Syzygy has about 4 :) - I think he must be having a hard summer!

*Sent from the wild frontier of mobile games :-)

Yes, indeed. Super busy time with work and family. :(

My apologies - been very busy, and been forgetting to check this. I’ll speed play or concede soon :)

Looks as though both games have been held up in the same way, so no harm done.

And less than half an hour after my last post, the game finished rather abruptly. Berbatov picked up an appalling turn 6 hand as USSR: Voice of America, Ussuri River Skirmish, CIA created, Grain Sales, Puppet Governments, OAS founded, Kitchen Debates, Asia (6 points against) and the saving grace, SALT Negotiations.

And then I headlined Purge, just to make things worse. SALT allowed a big realignment of West Germany (my only remaining European battleground) in AR1. This was rather scary, but the purge ensured I would be able to win any influence wars there. Next up, Grain Sales drew Asia scoring, which I chose to activate anyway, as I didn’t want to have to fight to hold onto those 6 points and I didn’t want to allow an extra held card. The extra DEFCON levels from SALT also defanged CIA, but that in turn showed that there was no defence to me taking complete control of Central America and scoring it to reach +20.

rho21 (US) beat Berbatov by scoring track on Turn 6 AR6

Well played!

Brian Reynolds (Cattlesquat) over Syzygy by a mere 2 points in final scoring, in an utter squeaker. I played US (as I seem almost always to) and discovered to my dismay that I couldn’t play China on AR7 or I’d lose my recently Taiwan-inspired Asia Domination. So it came down to playing Daniel Ortega (good thing I never went to Cuba in spite of being INCITED TO repeatedly) and going for miracle -1 realignments of Venezuela (full soviet control of whole region). I had two 17% chances to succeed, or else lose, and the Miracle Of Realignment came through for me. Down to the last two die rolls, always a sign of a painfully close game.

Okay, rho21… I await your pleasure! I don’t think we’ve faced each other before, so you can find me as Cattlesquat. If you prefer to keep with the slower time control that’s fine/preferable, as my summer schedule is different-from-normal. (And we could even get the NEXT tournament going while we play so that people aren’t waiting around for us any more).

GG again Syzygy and thanks so much for running the tourney!

Brian

Invitation sent. I’ve left it at 21 days, but if our time difference isn’t too bad I hope we can finish much sooner than that. May the most super superpower win!

Indeed! Looks like I got Soviets, which it turns out I need some more plays of on my youtube, so if you don’t mind I might record this and possibly post the commentary, since it IS a tournament finals!

Brian

Go ahead, I’ll be interested to hear your side of it. I’ll try to take some notes from my side too.

Okay, “episode 1” of the tournament finals is up, covering turns 1 and 2! (We’re currently way off in the midwar somewhere, so my worthy opponent is completely welcome to view, etc!)

You can all now commence laughing at our mistakes! I think I had the better of turn 1 but made a substantial goof on turn 2…

(Oh and I forgot to put the title in there reminding you to manually click the gear in the lower right and set manually to 1080p if the map is blurry)

The tournament is complete! Below is the result in spoiler-text, for those who want to know. I’ll continue to serialize pairs of turns weekly, with further commentary, continuing a week from today!

Rho21(US) over Cattlesquat(Soviet) on turn 8, by NUCLEAR WAR! Score track stood at 15 points for Soviets.

GG and good tournament, everyone! When’s the next one start?

Brian

Congrats to everybody for making it through such an epic tournament! [edited] your prize is any game from Legion Wargames. Go to www.legionwargames.com and choose, then see your PMs for the email of Randy Lein, who runs Legion. He will take your order and then charge me for it.

Again, thanks to the players and to @Syzygy for running it. So, when does the next one start?

I edited the winner’s name out of my original post. Sorry!

Thanks for the game, @Brian_Reynolds, it certainly didn’t play out like most games of TS I’ve played. A pleasure to play against you, though I’m not sure I fit the tag of expert that your video suggests.

I must also offer my apologies for the extremely slow turn pace (by my standard, anyway) and lack of chat. The game caught me at a busy period. I have plenty of notes on the game, I’ll try to write up my thoughts in response to each of your videos on the other thread.

Thanks also to @Syzygy and everyone I played against for a memorable tournament.

Congrats to rho21.

I’m ready to take my lumps again.

Spoilers!!! >:O

Congrats to [redacted]!

Is there someone else who is willing to volunteer to run the next tournament? I don’t think I can even participate as I am not sure I can make my moves on a timely enough basis. The dev team I’m on recently launched a mobile game so things are very busy.

Just launched a mobile game? You’re so doomed! ;-) Live operations are no fun at all…

I’m hoping someone else is having a long slow summer and is excited to run the next tournament. But if nobody steps up then I could probably figure something out.

Brian