Are you religious?

Definitions of agnosticism are like assholes, or something. Even meathead #2 on The Real World last night was spreading the agnostic love, but I think he was talking about spirits living in his 40 oz. and having to understand why they were there. I’ll let Webster know.

Hey! I think atheism most definitely is a religion. It takes a huge leap of faith to say that there is no God. Thus, if religion = faith, atheism is a religion. If religion = belief in a God, then Buddhism isn’t a religion, and Hindiusm is iffy.

You only say that because you find it hard to understand that some people do not feel the need for a belief system - you may not even start to comprehend that if you have been brought up with religion as a way of life.

I think the orginal form of this argument is laid out in exacting detail by the Jesuits - and cynically enough (if I recall correctly) the actual text I read several years ago (I’m googling and searching Amazon, and will post if I can find it) states that the argument is essentially false on key logical points (most significantly the assumption of need for belief), but it carries great emotional weight and therefore makes it worthy for general use in theological debates.

This doesn’t make atheists right or wrong - but claiming that atheism is a religon like this is purely semantic slight of hand.

Does it take a huge leap of faith to say there’s no 2 foot tall unicorn hiding in the closet? Because you certainly can’t prove it’s not true. Especially if it’s a given that the unicorn also has unimaginable power and uses that to ensure his existence can neither be proven nor disproven.

I don’t want to argue whether atheism or theism is better, more logical, or right, but suggesting that those two general points of view involve comparable leaps of faith is absurd.

As a frequently quoted, but possibly misattributed since I can’t find the original reference, letter by Lovecraft states,

In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of rational evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist. The chances of theism’s truth being to my mind so microscopically small, I would be a pedant and a hypocrite to call myself anything else.

I subscribe to my own brand of fatalist atheism.

I voted “other”. I have religious sentiments but I don’t care much for the major religions, and am more-or-less agnostic.

I am the Nerevarine! Bow before me, false Tribunal! (Just as valid as any other religion, IMHO.) :roll:

You mean you aren’t sure, or is it that you’ve decided that you can’t know for certain? You might get bonus points for being a meta-agnostic, but really that’s impossible to determine.

• Alan

According to some religion test (on the interweb) I’m a Pagan - what ever the heck that is. …

:roll:

I suppose it means you dance around standing stones near Hobart dressed in bloody kangaroo skins…

What, no option for “SHIT, BONERZ!”

You mean you aren’t sure, or is it that you’ve decided that you can’t know for certain? You might get bonus points for being a meta-agnostic, but really that’s impossible to determine.[/quote]

I mean that I hope there is something more to life, and I certainly have religious impulses at times, but I don’t see how any rational person could claim to know – and I have absolutely no faith. (What is faith, other than unreasoning conviction?)