Are you The One?

Didn’t even look at the screen; I reacted to the audio only. I consistently had a .166 - .169 response time.

Any difference if you go left vs. right handed?

Right-handed (which I normally am), I couldn’t get below .16, and was usually around .165-.18. Left-handed, I was able to fairly regularly get down to around .154.

I had 0.165 -0.174 or so. The worst was 0.22 when the gun fired almost immediately.

Best time of 0.134, but most consistently registering in the 0.142-0.145 range. The audio cue helps tremendously.

• Alan

so far my best is .133

That’s one of the more exciting flash games I’ve seen.

Shows you that any ping under 100 is fine enough in FPS and that you shouldn’t complain.

Other than that I suck with 1.9 as best. But haven’t took more than one game though.

-Shiroko

I somehow managed a 0.081 but uh…a total fluke :)

Isn’t there a physical limit as to how fast you can possibly react to something like this?

I remember reading about the time it takes from your brain to register something and send a command to the part of the body in queston varies depending on how far the nerves have to travel…

Brain to feet (Sudden need to brake while driving) was like 0.1 seconds, so brain to finger is…0.04?

Interesting fact: In athletics events that involve a starting gun, such as sprinting, the false start threshold continues until 0.100 of a second after the gun fires.

This is calculated to include the propogation of the sound wave from the starter’s gun to the wide lane (5 meters, or 0.015 seconds) and 0.085 for the reaction time of the listener.

So, anyone who claims to get less that is a liar! Unfortunately, there appear to be no liars here.

There is also USB latency, and, I assume, PS2 latency. Your browser and operating system is also doing much else besides waiting for you to click. For example, OS X Flash is notoriously slow: I wonder if I will “improve” when I get to me A64 PC at home?

Reaction Times and Sprint False Starts says 120-160 mS is what the world’s best athletes actually get.

While the official IAAF rules set a limit of 0.100 seconds, it’s likely that anyone reacting in less than 0.120 seconds has anticipated the gun.

Athletes have had runs as low as 101 mS, naturally – false starts happen every race, and sooner or later someone gets lucky! But it looks like all the world record-achieving sprints were around the 120 mS mark, unless I missed one.

I think there must be a big difference between computers I was getting .4 something at work but it’s .153 at home.

For those of you getting lower scores: the trick is not to try and relax & concentrate. On the contrary, you should try to be as agitated and tense as possible. If the gun sound manages to actually startle you, you’ll get a dramatically better time, based on how human reflexes work.

.133 with an average around .16

i’m left handed though, and my trigger finger this morning is my right thumb on my big trackball. i wonder what i could do with a proper lefty device?

I tried to go by the movement and not by the sound, since I presumed it would be faster to do so. I will try it again later only by sound.

True, true! It’s easy to try to slip into a state of soporific, pseudo-zen ninja alertness. This only works in comic books. If you want to do really good at this, sink 500 mG of psuedoephedrine and someone punch you in the face.

Note: Don’t do any of the above.