ARGH! Chrome bookmarks reverted to some old set of bookmarks!

I booted up Chrome today and my bookmarks bar looked funny - I realized it is what my bookmark bar looked like about 6 months or so ago. I looked at my bookmark folders and those are also out of date (including my podcast info and alternate login link!)

Help! How do I get the bookmarks back from yesterday???

OK, System Restore simply doesn’t work. I see a lot of articles on turning off virus software,etc,. but that doesn’t work. Apparently the WindowsApp folder is the issue and even after doing some weird stuff, I can’t get system restore to work. Sigh…

So a couple of questions:

1. How do I do a full backup of my Chrome profile (extensions, bookmarks, everything) so that if I have an issue I can simple restore that backup? Apparently when Chrome updates and screws everything up it also synchs that screwed up set of settings.

2. Speaking of Sync - how do I set the “parent” Chrome device so that everything syncs to it? I.e. I want my iPad Chrome to take the settings and bookmarks from my laptop and not have my laptop settings change my computer.

Pretty low tech, but every now and again when I get paranoid about losing my bookmarks, I export them to a file. Go to the bookmark manager in Chrome, and do an export to HTML. For backing up the whole profile, I think you have to mess with the registry. There isn’t any obvious way to do it in Chrome.

I didn’t even realize there could be a “master” device. I make a change on one device and it propagates out to all of my computers and devices. I have a vague memory that you must opt into this behavior, but I don’t know the details.

That’s messed up Jeff. I’m sorry that happened. I live by my bookmarks. Maybe there is a copy in one of your other browsers? Every so often I use a browser other than Chrome and the first thing those browsers do is ask me to import book marks. Sometimes I do the import, which makes a copy.

On the “Master” - my iPad was not synched lately so it has an old set of bookmarks in Chrome. My hope is that everything is just synched to the latest synch, but with the luck I’ve had with Chrome, the iPad will sync its settings to the Google cloud and then my notebook Chrome will end up with those settings!

I’ve had this happen more than once: Chrome upgrades and suddenly I’ve got an old set of bookmarks. In one case I was lucky and it just completely rearranged my bookmarks and folders.

Oh, and to add insult to injury: I ran a program that was recommended in a couple of places called Adware Removal Tool. I’d run a previous version and it helped me get rid of a hijaak. I ran it and it found about 7 things that Malwarebytes had not, and then I rebooted - and ALL of my Chrome extensions were gone!

I think I need to just not use my computer for a while, LOL!

Oh and I don’t know if this would work, but I made a copy of the Default folder in the Chrome folder as an attempt to back up the profile.

I use Xmarks. Never had any problems, fwiw.

Hi,

I am now experiencing the same issue. Were you ever able to restore your most recent bookmarks bar?