Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

I may have a couple screen shots of our first couple crab take downs let me look.

I forgot to check back in with you guys. @Ragan and @Grembel did the server change allow you to now build near the protected game structures like the Obelisks?

Skrug and I are going into the blue zone more and more. It’s a matter of time before we start trying to plan a strategy for our first drake egg theft run. We need a crab or 3 though.

One crab and a mated pair of nice spinos will get it done.

@Skipper, Yes, I can build near the obelisks now.

My next problem is avoiding the enraged megatheriums that I seem to find all the time. Those things are brutal. I may just have to move megatheriums to the top of my “kill on sight” list, replacing pegomastax’s.

Good to know on the building restrictions.

Enraged megatherium? I didn’t know those things even aggroed. I’ve spent most of the day building an outpost base right between the green and blue zones. That should help with wandering down in there.

When megatherium’s eat any type insect, then enter an enraged mode. It lasts for two minutes and it attacks everything during that time. The enraged mode also boosts it’s damage by 250% and decreases incoming damage by at least 66%, maybe as high as 75%.

So, even a low level mega will go from an easy kill to GAH!!!ITS KILLING EVERYTHING!!

So, even after 4100+ hours in Ark, I still can screw a tame up so bad.

I saw a rare yellow daedon (pig) wandering near the blue obelisk on Scorched Earth. It was only lvl 155, low for a rare, but better than anything else. I setup my temp taming pen, use my argent to carry and drop the pig into the pen and tranq it. Life’s good. Check the taming calculator and see that I need 71 primes to tame. Ok, that’s a lot, but doable.

I take my rexes out for a quick tour to gather up some primes. By the time I had gotten back to my base with the primes, the pig had woken up. I pretty much expected that. So I tranq the pig again (twice now) and this is where things start to go sideways.

As I went to check on the KO’ed pig, my jerboa decided that he needed to protect me so it attacks and hits the pig (yes, shoulder mounted pets will attack and damage stuff you are fighting while they are on your shoulder). Great, there goes the taming effectiveness. I harvest up a bunch of stimberries and force feed the pig to get it to wake up sooner.

Once it was up, I start to tranq it again, but just as it KO’s (for the third time) I fire an extra tranq arrow, which ruins the taming effectiveness even more than the jerboa did. Daedon’s have that healing arua, but it uses a lot of food, even on a wild one. With all the healing/KO’ed time, the pig’s food was now at zero and it was starving to death. I harvested up more stimberries and force feed it the berries and meat so that it didn’t die on me.

When it was up (for the 4th time), I tranqed it again, taking extra care that my jerboa was on passive, no other dinos were nearby, and that I didn’t hit it with any extra tranq arrows, I KO’ed it. At this point I was actually getting concerned that the 90+ primes I had gathered were going to spoil. But there was just enough time left on them that the pig tamed up.

In honor of my worst successful tame, I named the daedon “Comedy of Errors”

Good work, man. By chance was it one of the Rare Sightings spawns?

Being honest here, I don’t think I’ve even woken a tame back up. I just roll with the level loss when it comes to that. And speaking of that, I’m doing a lot of that on Aberration because for the life of me I don’t know how you’re supposed to get some of the kibble needed.

I’m not as good a breeder as Skrug though. He would probably have tried to keep it perfect. He persistently bred baryonyx for HP/melee and even some stam/weight and a few color variations he bred in. As an example he’s now breeding our ravagers, spinos and even bulbdogs to nice successes.

I attempted a few generations of Rex’s on the Island but it gets tiring, and space hungry. I lose a lot of interest once I see a nice primary stat and have one fully imprinted to me.

You made me curious on the mention of time played. I’m at 420 hours at this point, rapidly approaching my highest time listed on Steam for a game, but not counting other non-Steam titles.

Yes, it was one of the Rare Sighting spawns. Anything over lvl 150 on Scorched Earth (except wyverns, they can go up to 190 I believe) is a Rare sighting spawn.

I’ve done the “wake up and re-tranq” quite often for the max level stuff. If I’m taming like a 130 or lower, I’ll pretty much roll with the punches. But when for the 145/150 stuff, I generally use those for breeding, so I want the absolute most bang for my dino buck.

I’ve got a spreadsheet that I put down all the stats of the dinos that I’ll be breeding. My first goal of breeding is get all the max stats (usually health/stamina/melee/weight) breed into a mated pair. From there, I can breed them together and be guaranteed a dino with max stats. When new offspring is born, I check to make sure it inherited more maxxed stats than either of the parents have individually. If not, I usually kill the offspring. After I get my max stat mated pair, the offspring from them is fully imprinted.

As for the hours played, Ark went EA on June 2, 2015. I bought it on June 20, 2015. For the next 2+ years, Ark was the only game I played. I probably averaged about 2 to 4 hours a day, with more on the weekends. So I’ve had awhile to rack up play time.

I’m really surprised some enterprising mod maker hasn’t created a mod that added tracking of original tame stats and some notifications for bred/hatched stats when they are good.

I probably had similar time played in several MMOs. It adds up quickly.

So, I thought the Omnicular Spyglass was supposed to show torpor on wild dinos, it does not. The magnifying glass does, but only when right next to things.

I did notice another mod that does:
793605978 - Super Spyglass

I had copied the original mod list from the servers you guys had, any reason for Omnicular versus Super Spyglass? The latter is by the author of Structures Plus, seems more useful:

@Skipper It does, you have to press “N” to turn the torpor mode on for the Omnicular.

Well damn, I feel like a goof. Thank you for that info!

Ragan is crazy-good with the taming and breeding stuff. He talked me down from the ledge of rage-quit frustration a few times on original QT3 Ragnarok server. Sometimes, when I couldn’t hit a bullet with the broadside of a barn, he’d take pity and knock out the poor beast for me.

Also ruthless. The euthanasia spam still haunts me!

Are you still playing, Calelari? We have a server cluster you can join in on if you’re interested.

I shared Ragan’s taming story with Skrug the other day and we were laughing about all the bad times we’ve had so far. They were full of what I’m guessing are typical stories.

Ark is all about those crazy moments when it all goes to hell. I love those moments. “What the hell ate half the base?!?” “Hey, where did all our dinos go?”

I haven’t been. I bounced off Abberation pretty hard. The Ragnarok server apparently fell over. I had kind of set Ark aside for the time being.

On the other hand, I read about a neat mod called “Zoology” that peaked my interest. I rather enjoyed just watching the dinos on occasion and it sounds like it ups the fun factor of that quite a bit.

On the gripping hand, my little one is interested in PixArk, so I may be setting up a small private server and diving into that for a while.

Most of the mods on the cluster servers are ease-of-use oriented. The same for most of the server settings. But if you do change your mind it’s:
The Island
Ragnarok
Aberration
Scorched Earth

You can freely (obelisk or beacon) bounce between them. Aberration is the only one with dino transfer-in restrictions.

The map wasn’t big enough to handle the baby rejects from my breeding programs. It got so bad a friend and I took to calling ourselves Dr. Moreau.

On several occasions, when I finally bred the dinos I wanted, I would take the leftovers and go find a giga or titan and see if 30 to 40 therizin/rex/allo could kill it. Sometimes yes, most of the time no. But it was entertaining and it reduced the dino head count of the server.

@Ragan @Grembel I’m checking in on you guys. I have a ticket open with the hosting provider because our Aberration server rebooted with no save data (no characters, no structures, etc.)

I don’t have a character on Scorched Earth, so just wondering if that server is okay. It looks okay based on the “days” uptime, but let me know if not, I’ll add it to the ticket.

Aberration was back up within 30 minutes. Great response by the hosting team. He suggested a corrupt save due to a mod, but didn’t know for sure. Please let me know if you guys see any strangeness.

Will check havent been on this weekend much.