Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

Going any better in the Chalk Hills?

I picked up a Carno only to remember why they are god-awful. Their hitbox is about 6 feet in front of them and they back up slowly so a group of three Trodons took me to half health before I could run around in circles and kill them off. Worthless.

Trip gets his laptop on Thursday. We all have to get our game on before he catches up within literally two days.

Yes, life is going pretty well now.

I’ve got 3 rexes now (2 150 females, and a 145 male). Still can’t ride them though. One of them I found while out exploring, so I tamed it, then had to lead it back to my base. It wasn’t to bad, just had to avoid the allo’s and deinonychus. I have to leave the rexes outside my house because it is not big enough. They deal with the random allo/raptors that come to close.

Then just before I logged last night, I flew over a rare spawn lvl 215 Anky. So I went and got all my taming stuff and did the trap & tranq route, logged for about 45 minutes, then came back online just as it tamed up.

I’ve also got some crop plots going so I can start making some kibble because taming high level herbivores with mejoberries takes to long.

I’ve also stole a few deinonychus eggs but none of them have been very high level so far.

I need to start scouting for a better base location with some metal nearby. Or even find an argent. I did see a 150 quetzal, but I don’t have the gear to tame one of those yet.

I attempted to login lastnight but got hit with a lot of mod updates.

Then the join was crashing to menu because the new V map didn’t auto download, had to go find it.

Maybe next attempt!

I don’t have large eggs or any mushrooms yet, no big kibble for argents, so I’ll try the mutton route if I can spot a decent one.

Nice job on the rexes, taming with just meat?!? Jeez how long did that take? I’ve not seen one over level 90 yet. Also, strangely, they were all spotted closer to your area, hope you’re still alive. :)

I have the non-berry crops going, metal/obsidian/crystal locked up. No great oil sources yet and I’m too scardey cat to jump in the lake and check. Argents seemed plentiful east of me and north east of me in what appeared to be burnt forest looking landscape.

I finally had a carnivore wander near the base, I’ve gotten by without a wall until now so I guess that’s my next step.

Happened to me on first connect as well. Everything was out of date. Stick with it, the new map is beautiful, and deceptively huge.

There are a lot of ovis (sheep) near me, so I just use Raw Mutton which works nearly as well as kibble for carno type dinos.

I also made 7 stone gateways/gates. I make a taming pen with an opening, lure my target into it, place the final gateway & gate to close them in. Then I just shoot and force feed them until they love me.

Alabama style.

I need an argent. It’s time. Especially so before Trip joins in and suddenly has all the good argents.

On a different server, I just tamed a 170 Tek Quetzal using the grapple/parachute method with a high school freshman flying me around on a ptera. Fun!

The addition of high school freshman in this story makes me think you’re running for office.

Alphas have arrived, be careful out there. I’ve also stolen 3 Deino eggs so far. Those things wander way away from their nests while aggroing stuff. No idea how to hatch them, but I’ll find out at some point. Oil seems to be tough on this map. I’ve found some oil rocks way up north in the snow zones, but that’s it so far. Everything else is coming along slowly but surely.

Ragan there was a level 135 white Rex up in the Chalk Hills I flew over. He’s kind of off by himself. The issue is getting him back to wherever you’d want him, but at least he’s up there.

Your son mentioned you don’t see damage numbers, I don’t either. Did something change in the game configs or is that the map?

Yes, the ShowFloatingDamageText is set to false in the GameUserSetting.ini.

I’ve switched it to true a couple times, but it always seems to switch back to false. I wonder if that feature is disabled on Valguero?

I dont think so. I’ve seen videos with it, though I’m not sure if they were pre-live or post-live.

We’re missing a couple of mods:
Swim clear mask
Baby premium care kibble

When nobody is on tomorrow I’ll validate all the mods.

I cant think of anything else that would mess up damage numbers though. I’ll try to validate that, however.

Edit: forgot to mention I have a hatched Deino now. Meh. I also have scuba gear and found a few oil spots in the lake. Things are getting easier.

There are some oil veins in the mid latitudes – some far east and some towards the middle. They tend to be on rocky plateaus, and they are indicated by a white-ish rock with dark stripes – they look like a white walnut with chocolate drizzle.

Excellent spots, thanks for this.

In that second spot (the central one) there are actually 2 veins – one of them is underneath another big rock, which you need to break first.

Quick question since I’m getting Scorched Earth drops off of beacons. Is there a scorched earth area on this map? Any SE dinos?

Getting, “Mod mismatch,” upon connection so I’m updating the server. Stand by.

Now restarting.

And issues with the saved game state. Rolling back to most recent save.

Grrrr, still issues. Rolling back one more step.

All good now. Sorry if anything got lost there, I went back about 4 hours.