Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

All the other servers do indeed have that mod. As to why you’re crashing with it, that’s a mystery for now. More to explore tomorrow.

Only thing I could think of is the server is pulling down a different version of it than you get from subscribing through workshop. No idea for sure, though.

Yeah it is strange for sure.

@Barstein, Stargate worlds has both added graphical effects as well as added sounds to the game, something most of the other mods do not have. You might want to check your drivers for both GPU and sound. Keep occasionally trying to join one of the other cluster servers so that we’ll know.

I can’t remove Stargate on those other servers without most of us losing our Stargate points in game, so it would be nice to be able to resolve your conflict with that mod.

Figured I should update it here just in case you missed my message in game!

I finally got an argent tamed last night with a slightly upgraded xbow. Somewhere in the 150-175% to help with the problem I had with shooting the dang thing while it was running away! I also used it to bring one of my Ankys home so I should be good for now! Thanks for the offer.

Kelan I’m not that much further along than you. I’m running with only one Argent but I have a trap set up nearby. No longneck rifle or darts yet either. I did get my full set of gathering dinos and a spare for a couple of them, however.

Now that we have S+ that should speed up a little but we’ll see.

Has anyone seen Therizinos on the map or know where they are?

Good deal. Yeah no longneck rifle nor darts for me either. I will take one anky to my little metal node area and drop it off. I have a few forges set up on a platform near for remote smelting. I will start to build up my metal reserves a little now so I can make a rifle and some darts.

No idea on the Therizinos…

There are some pearls near that area that I hope to start getting on my run, but I haven’t found them yet! Having a hard time reading the map and don’t have enough pearls to make a GPS yet.

I’ve seen that before for sure, ARK included I think. Can also happen when a game client and/or server inadvertently gets more than one version of a mod. I was actually wondering if, since you all have had these mods installed for a longer period of time than I have, that might be the case here.

Yeah, I updated my drivers, @Skipper . I guess I could go hunting for beta versions, or something.

Definitely don’t ditch that stuff on my account. Not gonna be the guy who drags you guys down like that. :)

Star gate on crystal is not a super huge loss we had talked about disabling it anyway. as for the other servers I am fine if we need to remove it as well.

I’m with Grem on the Stargates too. In actuality, with given time for folks to round up anything they want and move dinos, etc, I’m also down with resets to some of our older and less used servers, albeit with a much shorter mod list like we’ve done here. The buildup of items is fun, as is the building of cool homes/bases. But once we move on to other servers the use for those drops waaaaay off.

A reset to some of them would also provide a means of giving them a fresh shot again to some who’ve not enjoyed the maps fully.

As a group, we’ve not approached a real reset on any map, beyond The Center, which got repurposed to Genesis when it came out. Map/mod resets were much more common when playing in the Minecraft days.

Sounds good. Before doing anything drastic and potentially disruptive, it might be worth glancing at the server files and double-checking that there isn’t a duplicate, older version of Stargate in there. Likewise, look for the same in your local mods folder. Seems remotely possible, to me, that duplicate mod files could explain why players who’ve had the mod installed for a while wouldn’t crash like I have been, since I’m probably the only player here who is guaranteed to only have the latest version installed.

For this particular server, there is not. For the older servers, there very much are duplicate directories of a lot of the mods, as the method of server mod installs changed over time. They are now tied to steam-update and get updated via a different server-side process.

It would make a lot more sense if you were able to connect to Crystal Isles, but not to the older servers. Instead, you couldn’t connect to either and that has me a bit baffled as to why.

Had a thought, and started browsing my own ARK mods directory (\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Content\Mods). To my surprise, I found several files/folders with old datestamps, going back a few years, even though this is my first time playing ARK on the PC in years and this computer was rebuilt with a fresh Windows install several months ago. Could be Steam cloud sync? Or perhaps when I reinstalled Windows, I restored my Steam directory manually.

At any rate, I first unsubscribed from all ARK mods in the steam workshop, then manually deleted everything in the directory above. Then I connected first to Crystal Isles, was successful, and finally tried to do the same with each of the other servers once again, but encountered the same crash to desktop issue as before (also crashed at the exact same mod #s). But at least this experiment eliminated the possibility of my own installation containing ancient and/or duplicate mods.

(By the way, now that I am sure that I have an up-to-date, cleaned up collection of mods, my current count is 29 total.)

Pick one of the other servers and see if you can let me know the approximate mod number you fail at. I’ll see what I can find out.

Also, can we all complain together of how much space this darned game takes up! Geez.

Here’s an updated list, @Skipper: The Island #18/21, Ragnarok #5/16, Extinction #7/18, Genesis #7/20, Valguero #9/28, Aberration (just errors out almost immediately with the message I pasted above), Scorched 5/24.

Crystal had been crashing to desktop at #7/9, before you pulled Stargate yesterday.

I think we just confirmed what it is. We also confirmed you load mods in the order listed on the “Active Mods” setting of gameusersettings.ini on the server.

You’re seeing the last number that loads successfully, the following mod crashes out:
The Island #19 = Stargate Worlds
Ragnarok #6 = Stargate Worlds
Extinction #8 = Stargate Worlds
Genesis #8 = Stargate Worlds
Valguero #10 = Stargate Worlds
Scorched #6 = Stargate Worlds

Aberration is the exception here, making me wonder if you have the map downloaded. At any rate, the first mod is Dino Bars, something you can run and load already on Crystal Isles.

@Grembel and @Ragan (and your boys) besides you two, Trip and me, removing that particular Stargate mod affects us the most. Trip isn’t on ARK right now, we’ve lost him to WoW again. I’m not tied to the mod as a must-have in any way but it does affect already built locations and the way they were built (to use Stargates as part of the gameplay.) I can remove it from any or all servers if you don’t care. If you do care, are there any servers you don’t mind me clearing it from?

Aberration is downloaded for sure. Don’t remove Stargate on my account, though!

I am fine with removing stargate. Ragan and I talked a bit it makes the maps to small most times. Some of my fondest adventures started by having to travel somewhere. Also I would be all for a couple map wipes. I was just telling ragan again I would love to play abberation again and scortched earth.

I’m with you in both cases. Those were some fun times. SE especially. I’ll wait on Ragan’s take, especially with his son and friend.

To be honest, I’d rather trim things up than not. The servers are a little bloated with mods in some cases. As Grem mentioned, Stargates are very useful, but also a very big crutch. They take away a good chunk of exploration and adventure over the guise of convenience. You could literally stargate from your base to Grems base, get stuff from him, stargate to an area with a lot of metal nodes and get what you need there, gate back to your base to stock up, then gate INTO a cave or to an underwater interest point, etc. We have/had gates all over the place. Not having gates forced you to build outposts and layover shacks, or protection outside of interest points, i.e. teamwork and gameplay. Don’t get me wrong, I love em, but they really do make ARK seem smaller.

Ah, I see now. I wasn’t even entirely sure what the mod was, tbh. Trying to remain blissfully ignorant. :) But yeah, with the exception of Aberration and (to some extent) Extinction, vanilla interserver travel isn’t really that much of a pain, imo. Returning from Aberration excursions is usually a guaranteed pita, heh.

Still wish I knew what specifically was causing those crashes.

I’m fine with wiping some/most of the maps.

I would be okay with trimming down the number of mods, but that should coincide with the server wipe.