Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

Where is your base, Fozz? I am on the northern shore of the SW island. I hope to play a lot this weekend for sure.

I started over and got to level 66 yesterday. I got a 3x3x2 wood building with a 3 high fence surrounding it. Died once early on to an Andrewsarchus and narrowly avoided dying to cold the first night. Other than that, been mostly smooth sailing so far. Got a forge and smithy up and a set of metal tools and weapons and working on tames. Got a couple Ptera, trikes, one raptor and one parasaur. They helped me fight off the next few predators that came by. My problem now is an alpha Carno that has been hanging around, but I believe I managed to lure it far enough away for now.

I really wish I would have smashed open those crates in the shallow water right away. Those can contain a nice early surprise for a new adventurer!

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question, I have never used an incubator before. I never got that far along and have only used the S+ hatchery before.

I parked in this area. It seemed kind of in the middle, and it is a little slab of land between two river islets with some cute bridges leading to it. It is also close to the sea, which I wanted for more water exploration.

I’ve never used the incubator. The one time I looked into it, the drawbacks seemed annoying, like not being able to hatch great variance in egg types within it due to it keeping one temperature, etc.

The S+ hatchery, on the other hand, automatically picks up eggs (not sure if the incubator does,) and I’m a lazy Ark player, so that’s right up my alley. The combo of the hatchery and nanny is a good goal early on and I guess I’ve done it so many times it’s kind of stuck as part of the process at this point.

Good deal! I am right across the water just west of the mountain range… for now anyway until I can find a more permanent base location (if I do).

It is so nice to have everyone on the server again! Boy, I bet we have room for one or two more? =)

(insert evil grin here)

Question for you experienced types:

I grew some species X, and was going to pick em up and place them around the base, but I can’t place the thing it just says “no ground or snap point” even though all I did was select it?

Any thoughts what I did wrong?

Semi-related to what started it all for some of us, and probably a lot of the devs as well, my wife and I went to see the original Jurrasic Park last night. It holds up quite well for a 19 year old film.

But more than that, it’s pretty awesome to watch when the local symphony plays the John Williams score along with the movie!

There were tons of people dressed up as characters from the movie, a few of the restored Jeeps from the movie out in front, etc. What a great time! My wife ribbed me every time I mumbled a dino name.

Downloading as we speak you evil bastards.

OK, that is pretty sweet @Skipper ! Much better entertainment then the latest movie too =)

It was sweet. This is the second one of these we’ve seen, the first was The Empire Strikes Back. It’s kind of strange watching the movie but feeling the music live. I’m sure we’ll plan to do more of these.

Thinking of jumping in, and doing a fresh start thing. How do Omnicular and Super Spyglass compare to Awesome Spyglass, in terms of showing dino stats?

Super Spyglass:

Omnicular:

They display quite a bit differently. Super Spyglass is more of a stat showing, good for breeding, etc. Omnicular is more of a wide view, multi-target spotter with different levels of zoom, fantastic for hunting.

Never used Awesome Spyglass, I don’t know too much about it.

I’m faffing about in SP at the moment, and even solo have gotten some cough value out of this

Two thumbs up, would recommend for your servers.

I mostly use Awesome Spyglass for the on-screen GPS coords :)

Far as I can tell, it does all the same things Super Spyglass does, but adds color info, buff info, taming info (that’s another big one), plus the GPS info, and it highlights nearby critters sorta like the tek helmet. It’s kind of an OP tool out the box, but most of that can be switched off in the ini.

Looks like the other two mods haven’t even updated since AS originally released. That kind of says it all. Though Awesome Spyglass is also way overdue for an update.

Would someone be willing to explain the Soul features you all were talking about yesterday? I am still waiting for electricity and cryopods and it sounds like that isn’t what I should be doing. Is it these Soul Trap, Terminal, Gun and Finder things from a mod we have? Do I want to figure out how to use all of these?

Kel,
I don’t think the terminal even takes power, just some electronics, metal, etc. pretty easy stuff really. So you want to 1st build yourself a terminal. Next, within the terminal you build the little soul gun, and some pokeballs (soul traps). Then, if you want to store your dinos, you just shoot them with the gun and they become pokeballs. Or, you can just put one of the pokeballs in your hand, and use it on the dino and that will capture them just like a crypod. Put your soul traps (pokeballs) into the terminal just like inventory.

Your dinos are now digitally stored inside your terminal! Looks like this:

Good deal! Thanks! Will try it out after work.

I forgot to check, is everyone here aware of the new teleport feature? While on foot hold down R on PC (Square or X on controller) to upen up the teleportation wheel.

I had no idea!

Do you have to craft a special item for that or go to a special teleport location to travel to another?

Innate ability!

In the mod version, you had to use special currency and do it on a special room, but they opened it up after release because reasons.