Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinos and Leveling Survival Game

I also have one set up on this island as well. MY base is just a click or two south from here. Watch the yutis if youre out and about up there.

I think four of us have oil rigs going now. I have not just one now but two and they are nearly on top of each other. We’re set on oil I think. Once you get near those red drops, that seems to be a common one. :)

I’ve left my base in the SE islands and moved up NNE in the redwoods along the edge, approx 25 lat, 35 long. I had to move though, too many resources required flying 1/3 of the map. I’m now near just about all the basics except pearls and I haven’t gone diving in the nearby water but willing to bet there is some there. I also need bigger/better dinos and you have to go where they are. There are argents and Rex near me now, along with ankys, etc. Tomorrow is trap day, I need to get some traps going for flyers and whatnot.

Speaking of empty bases, I have a ton I’ve left along the way and I really should go destroy them or something. Generally I leave most stuff unlocked. If you need to borrow shelter or otherwise, have at it.

Crystal Isles is full of “you can’t get there from here” areas that make it hard to find a serviceable meet-up location for other non-flying players. The best I could find was this landmark in the NW spawn:

It’s a super chill area (I saw no carnivores after running around for several minutes), which isn’t where we’d want to stay, but it’s the only reliable place I could find to meet up after scouring all of the newbie-usable (i.e. not freezing) spawn points, eventually hitting all of them 5+ times to try and find a commonly reachable spot.

There’s also a lot of metal nearby – noted for future use :-)

Noted, that’s a little south of me now. What’s crazy is the temperature across the map. I’ve gone from ice cube to full flame over the course of a short distance.

Which brings up a great tip. @Grembel mentioned that Tents give both hot and cold protection of a high amount. Knowing that it’s a good thing to pack on your flyer when scouting.

Server went down about 15 minutes ago and is not showing up in the session list now.

Not sure what happened there? The every-other-day reboot happened about an hour ago so I don’t see what specifically happened 5 hours ago.

Thanks for fixing that, @Skipper. All’s well.

Now that I have access to most resources (polymer is still a problem, even though I have a good obsidian spot), its probably time to start thinking about Wyvern eggs. And by that I mean, I need a braver soul than I to brave the nests for me. ;)

I think @Grembel mentioned Wyverns as well. The issue so far is we don’t have the capability to kill any, yet? I don’t have an Argent yet but I will note, when we get to the egg part, I did see a Griffon the other day, it was in a craggy valley towards the central part of the map. But I’ve not seen a wyvern trench or anything similar yet, so … not sure where the eggs will be.

Fortunately beaver dams are scattered around the map and obsidian isn’t terribly rare either. I’m catching up on mid-tier stuff. I’ve also found organic poly if needed, it’s in that bay between the redwoods and arctic area up north. There are multiple islands, many of them with penguins. There are also penguins on the shore of the arctic side of the bay.

I have seen a few just past the volcano. Didn’t stick around long enough to really get a good look. Argents will be far to slow to go Wyvern hunting will need griffons for sure.

Pteras work great for egg stealing, but only if they’re high level and have lots of health and stamina (barrel roll is key), and when they’re ridden by a decent pilot. I’m not especially skilled, but I’ve done it when forced to.

But yeah, Griffins (or Snow Owls, which aren’t on this map) would be ideal.

I wonder if they’ve fixed the glitchy/hitchy Griffon animations from the last map I played them on (I forget which is was now).

It was my turn for a @Grembel adventure yesterday!

I was going to try to make my way more toward the middle of the map and look for more utility dinos so I made a raft and packed it up with enough to throw down a quick 4x4 wood building with plenty of various materials, a forge, mortar & pestle, and smithy. What I didn’t plan on running into was a Basilisk blocking my path not far from where I started! I only had a ptera parked on the raft and appear to have only lost that and temporarily my life (I was able to fly back and recover my belongings on me). The raft and storage containers appeared to be intact, but I gave up for the day. So, if you see an abandoned raft in the middle of nowhere, it was probably mine!

Edit to add I did make it to level 65+ this time before my first death there! That may be a record!

That is no small feat!

I’ve considered rafting a few dinos from my old base over near my new one. I still may, I’m just terrified of losing them during an attack on a raft.

I figured rafting over was safer, haha. Nope! I had never encountered a basilisk before. Those were added after I mostly quit playing, I believe. Well, I did play Aberration for a little while, but never encountered them and didn’t progress very far that time.

Use cryopods! They unlock at 51 and the mats for them are fairly cheap. (You can craft them at drops and obelisks.)

Scouted for spinos today, and couldn’t find any aside from the one 90 male close to my settlement, even after busting out the resource map. So 90 male is!

I just remembered a viable strategy for Wyvern eggs. Deploy a couple dozen Plant Species X in an area with a protected bed and storage box. Then kite Wyverns over and let the plants take care of them. Nests ought to be clear after doing that several times.

They are nasty but thank god usually stay in a small area and rebury themselves. The problem is not seeing them and walking nearby. I have flashbacks of one in the newbie zone on Aberration. Ugg.

Crap. Why didn’t I even think of that. I drove my Spino across half the map just to get him moved. I’ll use this for the rest of them. Thanks for the tip I should have remembered.

Also, I think Ragan’s method for Wyvern farming was a Paracer with platform and minigun turrets. Dunno how well that did but he and Grembel took part in farming them on Scorched Earth. But the turret is level 94, way out of scope for now.

I’ve never hatched/raised a wyvern. It’ll be a new thing for me. I’ve also not gotten a (true) griffon tame either, only those off a modded dino expansion we ran for a while. Taming worked a little differently for that so it’ll be a new experience for vanilla.

Just got home and tried to log on, but don’t see the server. Not worried, but just wanted to mention it. Maybe is another update…

Figured I would log right back in and see 2 people in, heh. Worked!

There be wild griffins at ~77/46 in a desert biome! A 150, isolated from prey after an Argent battle, is circling endlessly in the air and is up for grabs (I got mine).

Turrets work very well. Its a ton of crafting bullets. You also need a fast mount to train the wyverns in circles to keep them from killing your paracer.

Any chance we can get the servers updated @skipper ? Looks like the game updated to the summer theme at some point today. Showing crystalisle server as the only one up atm but its running the older ark date.