Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

Is that how? I’ve been avoiding spoilers in case I end up playing it. I figured it was something like that as most speedruns use that kind of thing to remove giant portions of the game.

RPS WOT is up, and they Recommend it!

I was kind of running cold on the game at first but I rapidly warmed to it once it opened up. I have always loved Art Deco but Prey seems to fuse it with a modern 70s vibe that I don’t find nearly as attractive as what Bioshock pulled off.

I started on normal, then after an hour restarted on hard and it’s definitely that. I really have to admire how they handled progression, and how it feels like they are not guiding you, or barely so. Several times I went my own way, only to find out that’s where they wanted me to go anyways. After the third time of that it was pretty disconcerting, very much a subtle ‘Would you kindly’ moment, the whole time thinking I had free will.

Is not just bad. When you learn more advanced levels … It don’t get easier, you get access to a longer version. They clearly did this last minute the night before release after a week without sleep.

Yeah, in the grand tradition of hacking minigames, this one sucks.

Anyone else get the No Show achievement? I was amused.

“I wonder if these helicopter blades will kill me…?” Yes, yes they will.

I didn’t say “bad”, I said “worst”! :)

Yeah, that’s what I’ve seen in videos. The first level of hacking isn’t so bad. They are only about 10 secs long, so it only takes me less than a minute to reload 4 times before I get it. I dread the longer ones and sort of wonder if I should even take hacking. It’s just far too painful. Wish I could fabricare some auto hack tools. ME Andromeda supplied you with Remnant decrption keys if you wanted to avoid their hacking mini-game which was bad enough. But this is just awful Who thought this would be fun.

I will say the best is Deus Ex because it had risk/reward and was sort of fun. You could go straight for solutions or you could try to hack other nodes for credits or XP. This version in Prey just sucks.

I did, yeah. It happened exactly as you said!

Because I literally can’t afford two games a month any more, I had to choose between this and Steel Division. Sorry, Prey, but I think that SD will have longer legs than you, nothing personal. I want to play System Shock 3 too :(

I had strangely assumed you came into this thread to explain why you picked Prey over the other game. Nice fake out?

I dropped in because once I wrap up ME:Andromeda I wanted to grab this next, but the news articles on PC save game issues is worrying - is this wide spread, or only a big deal because it happened to a reviewer? I don’t want to read to much of the thread, just in case of accidental spoilers.

What save game issue?

No, just to moan that I really want to play Prey, too, so I’m living vicariously through you lot. As long as you all don’t pull a SPOILERY MR. CHICK SPOILER IN THE TITLE thing, or something.

Is this where I put links to my review titled, “Prey: It’s You, You Were the Prey All Along, Stupid”?

I’ve been seeing it as a news headline on a few articles linked from Gamer’s Post, and when I came here and skimmed at least one person mentioned it but no one replied that I saw (with my brief glance). Sounds like some issues with the PC version being identified after several hours of playing.

And also,

Lastly, I saw a rash of posts talking about PC performance issues in a particular area of the game.

It is possible to fail the hacking minigame? Is it somehow harder with keyboard or something? I don’t think I ever failed one, even the level 4 ones, and it is over very quickly. Playing with controller.

As for bugs, I only had one where an item from my inventory disappeared randomly when moving between areas (loading screens). happened only once, and I noticed immediately because I lost my most upgraded shotgun. But when I reloaded and same thing happened again, I figured I would move it elsewhere in the inventory. That worked, on next reload, I only lost couple ammo rounds :)
hasn’t happened since. But I googled and some other people also had this issue.

I have had one crash after 13 hours.

Something seems odd with the quicksaves and autosaves. I haven’t lost anything but it saves multiple versions of them, and if you select a previous one rather than the most recent, then want to load it again, it seems to disappear. I think it may be sorting them different or trying to be smart about it, and causing me to shoot myself in the foot. I can get it working, but it’s never in the spot I think, even if I pay attention to the timestamps.

Yes, I failed my first level 2 which had a harder layout. Next try was considerably easier. The whole time I was thinking ‘I bet this would be much easier with an analog input.’

Well it’s from farther into the game than I am, so I can’t really comment. I have been issue free so far.

I dunno how often “Publisher got us a copy of the game that was supposed to fix the issue” happens with reviewers, but that made me cringe. Sounds almost like playing off of a separate branch of the game, but maybe not.

I’ve seen the same issue popping up in the Prey subreddit.

Digital Foundry

This really deserves to be played on PC.

Secondly, we noted an issue in the Prey console demo where the PlayStation 4 version of the game suffered from significant input lag. Dual Shock 4 deadzones have been tightened up for the final game, but the core latency issue doesn’t seem to have been addressed, making for a laggy experience.

Xbox One improves matters here, but PC takes response to another level - and the fact that even a £100 graphics card can deliver a decent 60fps experience bodes well for a range of older GPUs also delivering a smoother, more playable experience. From a Digital Foundry perspective, we’re really enjoying this game right now, and we’ll be back soon with a deeper analysis encompassing all three platforms.

Most games run better on PC. 60fps is a biiiig deal.