Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

Well, I expect an update on the score in a few days. If they don’t do it, then it’s time to complain.

So what skills were good and what skills were worthless?

Is hard to say, and I am not the best person to say…

The worthless ones…

Hacking and repairing are sort of worthless. The one to drag stuff around is useful but you can live withouth level 2 and level 3 using explosive canister and others.

The good ones…

• Theres one that make movement much better. If you are like me, your brain makes speed=fun.
  • Improvements to stealth turns the tables. You are the one stalking
  • Psychoblast is worth much more than 1 point, is very useful and game changing.
  • So is the mimic skills. Game changing.
  • I have only tried one of the alien nukes, the one that create a area of fire, it murders everything. I think.

No idea:

I have yet to try the blink one. I suspect it will be weak. I have not tested many of the aliens ones that seems to be pure damage skills.

Many skills seems 90% useful on level 1, and level 2 and level 3 exist only if you really like them and want to build your character around them.

Finished.

41 hours, did every sidemission and explored everything.

Definitely one of the best immersive sims ever and one of my favourite scifi games ever, alongside SOMA and Alien Isolation. Just loved all of it.

And (ending spoilers) that ending. I chose Alex’s way, and when done I was a bit afraid that this 30 second cutscene is all, because that would be very unsatisfying. Credits already started playing, but at least with awesome music (I am weird, but credits music is important to me and the ending impression game leaves). But then there is that aftercredits scene, which cemented Prey as one of my alltime favourites.

Glad to say Harvey Smith was in fact NOT lying :p

Why? The experience the reviewer had is the experience the reviewer had.

So my issue is I invested in the turrets early on, and have been using them heavily, warts and all. My understanding is if I invest even 1 point in any psy skills they will be hostile to me. I am assuming I can hack them, but god do I hate the hacking mini game on the keyboard & mouse.

I am loving the game. Using the weapon upgrades and the last skill weapon damage upgrade did in fact make a large difference in power. Also I should have taken the slow time skill a lot earlier, I didn’t realize I could leave it mapped to the right click 90% of the time for emergencies.

You know, for those pants shitting moments the game likes to inflict on a regular basis. Just had another one last night when a phantom teleported right on top of me from 150+ feet away. I was sitting there thinking about how to deal with him when bam! In my face. Glad my bladder was empty.

Stealth is nice, but sneak attack is not something you can rely on to take down baddies, just a nice softener every once in awhile.

This game doesn’t need any significant UI updates. The UI is pretty amazing as is. The only problem I had with it was not realizing you could right-click on stuff in the inventory (because most games don’t bother), and misreading something on the gun upgrade kits and thinking I had to find a special station to use them (so I wandered around for 8 hours looking for one).

The game auto searches containers, which is one of the single greatest UI mechanics I’ve ever seen (I can’t think of any non mahmorpigah games that did this off hand). The Quick Use Wheel is super awesome, and you can easily set up hot keys from it for convenience. Using powers is terrific. All guns give clear feedback on where they stand in terms of remaining clip/total rounds present (although you have to parse the stun gun a bit). The inventory autosorts like a boss. You can auto-sell junk (by “sell”, I mean recycle), which is actually an important part of the game (you do a lot of crafting at the printing stations).

You’ll know if you have a keycode for a given pad before you even use the pad to go enter the code. Likewise the keycard readers will indicate you have the card present in your inventory. Bulky items clearly indicate what level of upgrade you need to manipulate them. When you are in zero-g you get a helpful reminder of what all the controls are.

You know what I would add to the UI? If you’re full up and see a container that has 3 items in it, and the first item is not in your inventory you have to maneuver a bit to loot any subsequent items that might stack. I wish the loot key just auto looted everything it could. I don’t care that you press loot on each individual item in the container because auto-search is way more amazing than loot all.

This is probably the best UI I’ve seen in a game of it’s kind.

I have not had (yet) any bugs, though the shifting between mouse2 as firing psi abilities and mouse2 closing windows, depending on what mode/state you are in, is UI issue I find mildly annoying, having psi-blasted myself once or twice.

I actually am digging the story, which I usually don’t get into that much in these sorts of games. And the voice acting is pretty solid, mostly. Inventory management is middle of the road, neither bad nor particularly stellar or noteworthy. The ancillary readings scattered about are pretty enjoyable, in setting the context for the game, particularly the alternative historical timeline.

1 point dont make turrets angry, but you dont get the achievement.

Actually, I dont know the threesold where turrets consider you alien enough.

Because a past experience doesn’t reflect a current experience. If he dinged it because a game breaking bug it was fixed already, do you believe the review would be useful for someone who will read it next month, for example? That’s a review of a product that literally doesn’t exist anymore.

It’s been pretty good once I figured it out. I did pretty much the same thing with the weapon upgrades, that could have been much clearer.

My only real issue left is the unevenly parsed auto stacking rules. The typhon tumors don’t autostack unless you manually combine them or you can use the excellent autosort as well. This gets annoying when you have a full inventory and can’t pick one up until you have at least one free space.

Right. So you’re coming at this from a consumer product test style review, while I prefer my reviews to be snapshots in time reflecting a person’s experience with the game.

I’m not opposed to the site adding a note explaining that a later patch fixed whatever issue the reviewer had, and if Arkane were to do a very large update of the game, I wouldn’t mind a second look, but I dislike the trend of reviews being akin to wikis - changing with each update.

Look at fucking metacritic right now:

IGN gives it there 4 and the snippet chosen reads:

If the PC version of Prey hadn’t become completely unplayable from crashes and save-game corruption just as it was hitting its stride, I’d have called it a very good or perhaps even great game. Its strange alternate-history universe, sidequests, hidden threats, and detailed environmental storytelling make Talos I a joy to explore, one that’s well worth slogging through combat that doesn’t feel fresh enough to sustain it throughout a long game.

This is false. Misleading. If anyone in the future ever checks the game out on MC and sees this, they might very well pass on it, after all, the PC version is “completely unplayable”, right ?
No mention that this was a rare bug that happened to minority, no mention that it has been fixed hours after the review was posted.

UNPLAYABLE.

Didn’t Tom sing New Vegas for a game-breaking bug? I can’t remember.

Conceptually I prefer personal experience reviews. But this also shows how useless they are in an amusing way. It really is reviewing a product that doesn’t exist now.

We need existentialist thinkers to chew on this.

I guess I still receive the amusement of experiencing his slice of time. When I say “useless” I’m probably thinking in terms of product review without even realizing it.

I found that.

Sadly, gameroni is no longer with us.

IIRC, it was this issue that plagued Tom.

Funnily enough, the Geek.com story links back to… Wait for it… Fidgit!

I’ve run into all these bugs and more and it has been super frustrating experience at times. Start the game and the intro audio nearly destroys my speakers it’s so loud. Then after that you can barely hear half the game. Save file corruptions, items that are supposed to be fixable that have no hotspot to repair, broken quests and missing people, sliding all over the place like you’re on an air hockey table with no input from me (which also means I fall off pipes all the time if I let go of the controller). If IGN and other reviewers had been given beta code weeks in advance and told these issues would be resolved, I bet IGN would have given the game a 8.5 or better because they would have forgiven the glitches.

I don’t believe any of this is Arkane’s fault. The fault lies squarely at the feet of Bethesda who didn’t give them the time to fix the obvious, glaring bugs, or maybe they didn’t assign nearly enough testers to find the faults, etc. or maybe they just have abysmal QA. I love the game itself, but the number of issues I have on PS4 is insane. I mean, how can you screw up the first 5 seconds of the game - the splash screens? And I had to turn on subtitles because face-to-face voices are loud, but none of the other voice work is audible including the enemies mutterings. I had to restart my game after 3 hours when I realized I’d missed a lot of information because I’d never heard it. I think IGN is an abysmal game site, but I agree Bethesda needs to be reprimanded for the sorry state the game shipped in.

Huh? I have this on PS4 so I don’t think we’re a tiny minority and last I checked we had no fixes for it. Or did they just release console patches in last hour? I want to reiterate I love the game itself. The story is fantastic, the setting, the gameplay. My first impression of the game was wanting to throw my controller at Bethesda’s face. So it’s been an uphill climb for the love to settle in.