Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

I’ve noticed a lot of games with save corruption problems on PS4. Is that just because I’ve been paying attention, or is there something weird about their process?

Here you go:

Thumbs down. I also put the link in the front page post so future historians have an easier time.

@tomchick, you misspelled “ride” in the first sentence. Please let the editor at Gameroni know. (j/k).

Edit: Updated the link with a better archive from an older date.

Maybe we shouldn’t hit Paul with this right now, so soon after the IGN Prey review!

I was under the impression that the save corruption bug happened only on PC version. Shame to hear you are having issues.

Oh I think I see what Paul was getting at now. The “unplayable” quote is dishonest. But I guess if you look at it from the fact some savegames wont load, you can lose hours of game time, so in a technicality that could throw it into the unplayable segment. This really is a fantastic game though. Ironically if I had all these bugs on PC I would have been totally fine with it because developing for a billion combinations of PC is incredibly hard.

On the bright side, Xbox One version of Prey has a Metacritic score of 88. I guess the Xbox One version doesn’t have the save corruption of PC and the input lag of the PS4?

What’s great is that Tom wrote about this issue in that review!

[quote]
So where does a review go from here? Wait for the patch? Assume the error will be fixed? Take a guess at how the game might have turned out? It’s a tough call, but if you accept that a review is an expression of one person’s experience at a specific moment in time, then you write the damning review I’m writing now. My intent isn’t to suggest the same thing will happen to you. Odds are, it won’t. Odds are you’ll only have to deal with the lesser problems like physics glitches, occasional crashes, broken dialogue trees, erratic scripting, or corrupted saved games. You’ll probably be able to work around these and have a grand time in New Vegas.

But I can’t review that game, because it not the one I experienced. So this review, and the letter grade that follows, are based on my experience, over the course of forty hours, with a game so broken I literally cannot finish it. A game where a quarter of my time has been spent dealing with crashes, including one final fatal freeze. The game has slammed shut with a recurring black screen that may as well read “You shall not pass”.[/quote]

I missed that part of the review. All I saw was the letter F!!

Well now here we go…

A new update for Prey v1.2 (previously v0.5 beta update) is now available via Steam – see below for instructions.

The Steam update v1.2 includes:
​Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.

My busy schedule has benefited me , as I haven’t even played 1 minute of the game, and some of the most serious issues are now patched!

When reviews were primarily in print, the problem of timing was different. When I did a review of a game, it was understood that it was a snapshot of the game when I played it, which, given the delay between me writing it and a print copy of the magazine being in someone’s hands, could well have been quite a while ago. It was generally known, I think, among core gamers that you had to be vigilant and see if any of the bugs a review identified had been patched yet. Most mags also had some sort of recent patch list or coverage too.

Today, the questions is more complex I think. We’re used to not only getting our reviews the day the game comes out, but getting patches constantly starting the moment the game comes out. It’s hard for a user to perhaps understand that the reviewing publication, even on the web, can’t constantly issue updated scores and revised reviews.

So I don’t really have an answer for those who are upset with stuff like the IGN review.

That’s a good call on t he auto stacking. Except I think my experience is a little different: sometimes things auto stack but sometimes it seems like they don’t. I see it with spare parts and I am pretty sure typhon organs. I think I’ve seen it on suit repair kits. . I’m not clear what’s causing it to get skipped. Still it’s a minor annoyance. One of the nice touches is how the recycle UI basically grafts into the basic UI. So you can get there and realize “I have stragglers” and quickly autosort, then Hold F to transfer all of your recyclables.

I really love all the side quests in this game. And also that apparently every single crew member can be accounted for. I’m playing on Hard and have recently hit another low resource period (for me Minerals are, by far, the biggest limiter although I picked up Necropsy awhile ago so even though I’ve made a lot of neuromods - probably 15+ - I have a ton of exotic mats).

Sounds like the same experience. Unevenly was meant to convey it was inconsistent. Some things stack, something’s don’t. Most does.

Thank God, the temptation was killing me! I actually stopped playing, telling myself it was to avoid savegame corruption. But really, it is my soul that is corrupted.

Good to hear they fixed the audio mix too. The friendly robots were hella-loud.

Cool tip I just discovered. Got an area blocked by heavy stuff and you don’t want to spend neuromods on lifting? A recycler charge will clear out that heavy stuff! Had no idea!

Yeah, its pretty awesome that you have options! Its not just a matter of the right skills to do stuff in an area - you can actually get creative in quite a few ways.

Oh for F sake, 41 hours and I never realized that.

I did.
Maybe I am more Scorpious than John Chripton.

I mean, how I could not fail to a power of two progression?

John Crichton: [after creating the wormhole weapon and taunting Staleek and Grayza over the comm] Unbelievable, no one has anything to say.
Rygel XVI: [the wormhole expands again] How big is that thing gonna get?
John Crichton: Big.
John Crichton: [the wormhole keeps expanding] OK, boy and girls, here are the rules. Find a penny, pick it up. Double it, you got two pennies. Double it again, four. Double it twenty-seven times and you’ve got a million dollars and the IRS… all over your ass. Round and round and round it goes. Where it stops no one knows. But it all adds up… quick!

John Crichton: Wormhole weapons do not make peace. Wormhole weapons don’t even make war. They make total destruction. Annihilation. Armageddon. People make peace.

Heh, I managed to kill my first big bad (those who have played know what I mean). Set up a trap of 3 turrets by a flight of stairs in the lobby and led him into them. That part didn’t go so well, he wrecked all three turrets with one attack, but they stalled him and I got off a couple of shotgun blasts, before he advanced on me. As we moved up the stairs I managed to stay ahead and hit him with some further blasts but always out of reach for his attacks. Then I led him into an office and managed to get off a couple of further blasts leading him around corners (they don’t seem to handle these well - works on phantoms also), and then hit him with another right before he was going to kill me so it was close. But very triumphant feel when it was done!

If AI mobs ever learn to handle corners, FPS players are d0med.