Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

You won’t make VP with that kind of attitude. You need to pull some big numbers out of your ass and then express disappointment when it doesn’t happen.

This game is goddamn amazing. It’s like best parts of Bioshock and Dishonored meshed together, absolutely phenomenal. I love how non-linear it is, especially once you fix the lift and unlock some airlocks. And that space walk, wow! I’m playing on Nightmare and I love how I have to carefully weigh my options when engaging tougher enemies. I often opt for luring enemies to (fortified) turrets or throw gas tanks at them because the ammo isn’t exactly plentiful. And the level design, oh my god! This might be one my favorite immersive sims ever.

Right now I’m at the part where the main quest wants me to go to the crew quarters but I think I can also access the bridge, shuttle bay and cargo bay - am I going to skip anything important if I go to those areas first?

It’s fully open and you’ll likely need to back track at some point to do all the optional quests so don’t worry about it :)

It doesn’t really matter since you can go back, but I think it makes more sense to go there now when you first get access. Can’t remember but I thought you needed something from there to move on but I could be wrong.

Thanks, good to know. I’ll probably head to Crew quarters first anyway since I just got a Golden Gun quest - and I really like the base version so I’m looking forward to finally upgrading the pistol.

Eurogamer posted a video about the original Prey 2’s cool plot twist.

Just finished it, great game, good ending. By the end I had no problem with any enemy anymore but it was very enjoyable because of this.

I’ve reached this point now on Nightmare and it’s great. I can still die really really fast (still at default health values lol) if I’m not careful and that’s all I could ask for really.

At this point this game is already my favorite immersive sim of all time. Sorry Deus Ex, you had a good run, but Prey offers too many options and too good of an atmosphere.

Now that I managed to throttle a few extra septims out of my budget and was able to buy this, all I gotta say is:

Somewhere at Arkane, there is a magazine, filled with screenshots of old games, and it is called “The Best of Looking Glass”.

Some of the pages are stuck together. OK, a lot of the pages.

And I have zero issues with that. Long live System Shock 2 (2017).

Alternately, keep playing. It’s totally worthwhile.

I’ll grant him that the last act is the weakest, but I thought the plot twist was well earned, having been seeded way back in Pychotronics. Gameplay wise, I can see the criticism, depending on your build, but for me, Dahl’s droids we just another opportunity to recruit slaves for my machine army.

I kind of agree with Schreier. The final act sucked and the ending was dumb.

That said, I wouldn’t just stop playing. I like closure, so I’d need to wrap it all up just to see the end.

Wait, Alex’s Office is the start of the final act? I’m pretty sure I reached it about a third of the way into my playtime, and I still have unvisited areas…

The author is confused. He’s talking about the second time, when you back to get a certain key from Alex. Bad misleading mistake on his part.

You can get to Alex’s office as soon as you get to the Arboretum. You don’t need him to give you the code to the grav shafts, you can get to it by jumping up the rocks on the greenhouse side.

I disagree so hard. The ending certified the game from great to all time classic for me. Nothing dumb about it.

Did somebody get the evil ending?

I love the idea of all the people who played evil hating the ending, and all the good guys liking it. That’s probably not so true, but I am curious.

I bought this for PC and am excited to get some time with it soon. Quick question for the group: how is it on PS4? Any issues I should know about? I have a friend who loves this sort of game, only games on PS4, and needs a b-day/father’s day gift, so just checking. Thx.

Nope. I actually got the “good” ending.

I still thought it was kind of dumb.