Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

I doubt that’s the case. I think people will be put off by the simulated play experience aspect.

That’s not a position I hold, mind. I loved the ending, and I think it’s sort of an interesting evolution of certain ideas from other cherished games. On one level, it’s true that nothing matters in a given playthrough except ticking enough boxes to quality for whatever ending. In my playthrough I never got the proof for the russian Gal/ex, e.g. Among quite a few other undone threads. But it has the exact opposite effect on me, because of what the game is about. I deeply regretted the things I didn’t do or failed to do, even though I got the good ending. And this hit me much moreso than something like this might in a typical RPG playthrough. Ultimately all that really matters is the journey, and this something of a blank slate new being you’ve become is based entirely on what you do and don’t do. It reminds me of Torment, where it was ultimately about becoming who you really could be. Except you aren’t wandering through the wreckage of your past selves. To me it wasn’t really anything like the typical trope stuff, e.g. the Dallas psych out.

I saw some complaints regarding combat from the console players. Enemies tend to teleport around and move erratically which I imagine could be a problem for gamepad users, especially on higher difficulties.

What a game, unbelievable. Stuff like this comes around maybe once every 15 years.

@tomchick are you playing this? I’d love to hear what you have to say about it, considering Deus Ex isn’t among your favorite titles. And I forgot what your stance on Bioshock is, lol.

Tom posted his thoughts on the ending of Bioshock and other issues he had with it here.

And he made a thread about it and discussed it extensively here.

Interesting, thanks. After reading that I think he’d really like Prey, but probably have issues with part of it, just like Bioshock.

Tom actually gave a few opinions during his stream.

Dammit Arkane! Prey’s latest patch adds PS4 Pro support, but introduces severe framerate pacing and major stuttering.

Digital Foundry:

Unfortunately, a new problem has been introduced across both PlayStation consoles - a problem that first appeared in version 1.02 and compromises what was one of the game’s most impressive aspects, its consistency and fluidity in motion. On the plus side, input latency has been fixed - the game is much more responsive now - but the knock-on effect is that, put simply, the game is a stuttering mess in motion. We’ve often reported on bad frame-pacing in the past, but nothing could prepare us for the severity of the problem in Prey.

This is, without a doubt, the worst instance of irregular frame delivery we’ve encountered, giving the illusion of a much lower frame-rate. In addition, as the game uses an adaptive v-sync solution, there is now a plethora of torn frames present in each and every scene along the top portion of the image. Taken as a whole, Prey no longer feels smooth to play. Clearly, the fix for input latency is to blame for this problem. Whichever settings have been adjusted, the results are poor.

I’m only a couple of hours in, but at least so far this is really impressive.

Some podcastI listened to in the last few weeks mentioned that there’s an early game side mission (something that becomes available in the first 20% or so) that basically reveals the ending of the game, and the podcast hosts wished they’d not done it immediately when it became available but much later.

But I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the mission. Anyone have any idea on which mission they were talking about? Do you agree that it’d be something worth avoiding until late in the game?

It might be “Who Is December?”, which leads you to the game’s false ending. It doesn’t reveal much, but is a strong hint.

The name sounds familiar, so it’s probably that one. Thanks!

No need to avoid the mission, just don’t do the thing that will give you the ending. It’s pretty obvious when you get to that point, though I can be more explicit if you like.

I think I must be approaching this game wrong, because I am consistently getting my ass handed to me even on Easy. I’m not very far in (just found a second neuromod), but whenever there’s more than two enemies, I just get mauled.

I know I’m not a great gamer, but I can generally make it through shooters and the like on at least Normal just fine, so I don’t know what it is about this that’s giving me so much trouble.

It is not a shooter. At least in the early parts without upgraded weapons and skills. Later on its no problem but in the beginning they will eat you.

I mean, I’m not going in guns blazing or anything. I’m trying to be stealthy and avoid conflict, but I don’t have a good sense yet how effective that is, either. I keep ending up in situations with three or four mimics, and they seem too nimble for me to land blows with the wrench before I’m taken down. I get the feeling I’m intended to use the GLOO gun to slow them down first, but I haven’t had much success there, either.

Well. Only being careful really helps. But yes, these situations are hard unless you are upgraded. Stealth is very viable but some save/load will be required from time to time if you stumble into a trap. If you pay attention mimics can often be seen and heard very often just when they morph. I always looked for two of the same thing close to each other. There is gear you can find that makes detecting mimics easier as well. In general I avoided conflicts for a long time. Oh and carried turrets. They made life so much easier.

I decided to switch from my 360 controller to mouse and keyboard to see if that would help, but there’s no mouse cursor when in the menus or while navigating my inventory–is that as designed?

I used 360 controller, on normal. It’s a game about sneaking, scrounging, and using environmental hazards.

The early game took a lot of save scumming to get through, as I’d reload whenever I lost significant health to an enemy. Which was often. ;)

But I got through it!

I literally know nothing about this game, save what I gleaned in the thread title here.

Someone must have recommended Prey pretty strongly to me, because I put it on my wishlist.

So, without spoilers or anything…is this game good? Bad? To what degree of either?

It falls into that strange middle-ground of being way, way too overrated by the people who like it enough to recommend it, and a little underrated by those who would complain about it.

It’s a solid $29 game.