Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

Also, use your weapon upgrade kits! a Boosted damage shotty with a stealth attack bonus does a nice job.

Just found a broken medical operator. Are they as awesome as I think they may be? I can use a place to heal in between encounters.

There’s a medical bot dispenser a few steps away from where you found the bot and I think it’s already active when you come across it. So no need to spend resources on that poor little guy, let him rust in peace.

Just came back to say I found something better - the dispenser that you mentioned!

Well gee, sorry if I touched a nerve or something…but not too fussed if you’re upset…

It’s pretty obvious really, even in the RPS review they were only mentioned as an annoyance in combat. You look at Bioshock, which despite its other limitations had great design, and people would rave about Big Daddy. In the context of this game they are barely mentioned, and the environment is the draw.

Just seems a strange choice by Arkane considering everything else is top notch, not sure how it came to be. I thought some people here might have wondered about it too, but apparently not. It’s beyond me how you could feel antagonised by someone disagreeing with you over the creature design.

Does the PS4 version allow inverted controls? Or is it like Dishonored 2, where only one, (can’t recall if it was the X or the Y axis) was allowed to be changed in the options menu. Old gamer here, and my brain is hard wired to play with only inverted controls, and I wasted 60 bucks on D2, only to find I can never play it.

Edit: Downloaded the demo, and it’s the same story: can only invert Y, not X. Shame some developers don’t feel the need to cater to us inverted ones. Once again, M+K trumps gamepad.

You actually read “upset” and “antagonized” in my reply? Are you new to the internet? I think I see what is going on here. I will not be replying to further posts of yours in this thread, I suspect. Not at least until you’ve played the game and have something to contribute.

Meanwhile, I’m about 16 hours in and I still have a long ways to go, according to the IGN walk through. I have quite a few objectives yet on my plate that aren’t even tied to the main story and many areas I have yet to get into and explore. I’m curious how this is all going to play out, it sounds like there are multiple endings and I wonder which one I’ll end up with. Seems like there are at least two major choices to be made.

A few things I wish I’d known earlier that I figured out from playing! Possibly slight spoilers, though I am avoiding story stuff - pure mechanics.

1 - You can use Recycle Grenades to clear out debris blocking doorways that normally requires the Leverage score. However, be aware that just as I was thinking that really reduces the usefulness of the Leverage skills, @ShivaX pointed out you can pick up heavy objects and throw them at enemies for significant damage and at no cost in resources!

2 - When you have a power that requires a target, time pauses while you hold down right-mouse button giving you all the time in the world to aim, sort of like the advanced forms of Dishonored’s blink. This makes these abilities invaluable against faster moving targets, so don’t be afraid to invest in something and play with it. I should have done so earlier, I have some really awesome abilities I wish I’d had way earlier (and I could have had way earlier).

3 - Don’t right-click and dismantle weapons if you can avoid it - they are worth precious Mineral type resource points and if you are like me that’s the one you’re really short on all the time. When you dismantle you only get spare parts, you don’t get the mineral and synthetic values and some of those items are worth a fair bit.

4 - Speaking of 3, use Recycle Grenades in small areas full of objects (I like to pick up and throw a ton of stuff into a room), toss in a grenade, profit.

There we are, that’s what I can think of off the top of my head. I also wish I’d taken the time earlier to understand the station map, now that I do it’s incredibly helpful for getting where I want to go.

I’m happy to answer questions if anyone has any, though I doubt I’m an expert I have been doing some experimenting this weekend. I’m hoping to wrap the game up by this next weekend.

Not even a teensy, weensy bit upset?

lol, I’m just yanking your chain, enjoy the game Scott.

Number one is solid gold, I didn’t discover that until I was about 20h in - after reading a post by someone else of course, because it never occurred to me that it might be possible. I’m not very smart.

One thing I’d add to your list is that turrets can be moved around - I think you might need Leverage I or II to do it though, I don’t remember. Ah, and it goes without saying that the recycler grenade trick won’t help you here :-). I set up a nice kill zone in the Talos I Lobby which was really helpful when the respawns showed up.

Also a minor spoiler - rush the main story until you get the scope. It allows you to scan the enemies so you don’t want to kill too many of them (especially rare ones) before you get that thing. You can ignore this advice if you’re doing a human only run though.

I probably wouldn’t have thought of it, but it just suddenly occurred to me in a flash while I was mowing the lawn, of all things. “I wonder…?” and so I tried it and bam, working solution. The game is full of cool mechanical interactions like that, it makes the world feel more believable, which is neat.

You actually don’t need any leverage to pick turrets (they are described in a trans log somewhere as being “delicate but powerful” so they can’t take much punishment, but you can definitely walk around with them and re-position them. I like to have one in front of a door I have never opened before I opened it. Well, first I have to hack them now, as they… uh… don’t really like me much these days. :)

A heavy (level 3) object hits for like 130-165+ damage or something.

The problem is… they have a STRONG tendency to get stuck on shit and not move right. Which is pretty annoying in a game where that can be a major way of playing. Sometimes they just sit there for literally no reason. Nothing around to get stuck on, they just clip through you. Add in the charge time and you can get fucked pretty easily and often.

That said dropping a giant thing of cargo on a phantom and seeing them get clobbered and stunned never gets old. Nor does firing an explosive canister across a room like a missile.

Sadly, you can’t seem to jump while toting a turret, at least, not nearly high enough to mantle up on stuff. You, can, though, throw the turrets pretty far with no ill effects…

I picked this up early in the sale and finished it. I liked it, but did not love it. Toward the end I was a living god. Even the nightmare was a complete joke. The only annoying thing was the combat operators at the end.

My favorite powers were the psychic shock (the one that is really good against the xenos), the AoE psi blast (great against operators and turrets), and the heal up to 25 points of health passive power.

I had stealth almost maxed but it didn’t seem all that effective. The story was alright. Overall the game was not a memorable experience. In a year or so, I will have forgotten about this game, unlike something like bioshock I. Ill remember rapture forever.

After 25 hours I wrapped this up at last, and I think I got more out of the setting (and especially the ending) than you might have, seems like. I just couldn’t get enough of these characters (and I really loved that there so many survivors to interact with) and I just loved the setting (including but not limited to the “science” of the world, from Looking Glass tech to fabrication, for example) and by the end of the game I felt like I had lived on that station, I was able to navigate it so well. I would often feel bummed at finding a body and associating a name with emails I had previously read, even.

It was kind of a great setup, feeling at the start lost and confused just like your character would have and by the end feeling like you owned the place.

@DeepT There were some really fun ways to deal with the issue you blurred out, by the end of my time with the game I found them quite the boon, actually! But also, did you know if you pile stuff in front of the observer fabrication stations they malfunction and can’t process more droids until the area is clear? :) Great way to stem the tide!

The end of the game was very impressive, just from a technical perspective if nothing else, but also the multitude of ways it can play out and all that leading up to one … I hesitate to use any sort of proper adjective here, so let’s just go with “incredible” post-credit sequence that really cleared a lot of shit up while also asking many more questions. I did some reading after I watched my ending and it seems like there are several ways the ending can go, based on your decisions in the game, which I always appreciate. I even got some achievements for how I performed.

This is definitely a GOTY contender for me, and I eagerly await the day when I have cause to jump into a new game and do it all over again.

I started this weekened Prey!
And I’m loving it! Four hours played for now, on Hard mode.

Finally, a real ‘inmmersive sim’, like Deus Ex 1 or System Shock 2. More exactly, very in the vein of System Shock 2. Bioshock 1/2 were very good games, but… something was different in them, you know? We can of course forget about Bioshock Infinite. The new Deus Ex(es) were too compromised from the start.
But this. Yep, this feels like a real one. A game where you have to carefully explore, and things are not just in front of you, like an obvious vent giving you the hidden (hah) alternative path. A game with hard decisions on your character development. A game where you have to use your resources wisely, and are rewarded if you play efficiently. A game with reasons to avoid enemies (they don’t give xp, in any case). A game that gets the feeling of isolation, even alienation. A game with a decent difficulty which makes you play carefully and efficiently as I said, it isn’t just an optional play style for the player to choose.

I don’t know you guys, but I’m not using a lot of bullets to eliminate the aliens…

(third turret is in another room, I’m sorry)

For a while, I was stymied, but recently I’ve been on a roll with this. It’s a great mix of exploration and tension, and now that I have some neuromods that really help in combat (like the slow-time at level 3), I find combat much more enjoyable. Really good architecture for the station, IMO; it feels pretty realistic and interesting as these things go.

It’s on sale for prime day (PS4 version at least). Seems generally recommended?

Oh, yeah, if you like System Shock 2 style gameplay, it’s a must-have IMO.

Does anyone know how many alien powers you can have before the turrets turn on you?