Arkane Austin's System Shock-Inspired Prey (2017) Reboot

User made lighting mod:

I scrolled past that story and thought they were talking about the original Prey. Haha!

It looks like there’s DLC in the works for Prey. This was proposed before launch but hadn’t been mentioned since back in July, which made some consider the possibility it had been canned following subpar sales.

https://twitter.com/PreyGame/status/969702812912320514

The Prey Twitter account dropped the surprise tweet above. It’s either asking a philosophical question about space travel, or we’re headed for the moon.

As sharp-minded Prey players may recall, there’s actually a reference in the game to a Pytheas facility that “sits deep in a crater on the Lunar pole, permanently shadowed and surrounded by kilometers of ice.” Sounds like the perfect place to set a creepy expansion.

Both Reddit and ResetEra have found a few clues, including a possible ARG twitter account that some of the Arkane devs have retweeted.

https://twitter.com/KasmaCorp/status/969337471170465793

I just started this game last week. I tend to wait until a game has come well down in price these days before I buy, but I’m loving this and it’s not the type of game I usually play. If that DLC rumor is true I’ll jump on that at full price.

OMG, I’m in! But I’d bet they’re going to do the standalone expansion route for this, not straight DLC.

Prey is a great game, really sad if it didn’t sell well.

Yep… It was a late discovery for me. Doubt my purchase on some sale 6 months after release really helped them.

Its just I was convinced this was some schlocky horror game that wouldn’t interest me. The marketing didn’t reach me at all and I suspect many others are in the same situation and will (hopefully?) discover it at some stage.

And yeah, they are better off selling this as a standalone expansion like “Death of the Outsider” (for the underperforming Dishonored 2).

When it released in May, Prey didn’t make the month’s top 10 downloads on the PS Store, and it was beaten by Zelda, Mario Kart, and GTA V, titles that were either ports or released months earlier, in the May NPD.

When the studio co-founder and game director left Arkane in late July, Prey had sold 300K on Steam. By late November, following a permanent price drop and multiple sales, it crossed the half a million mark, and now, according to Steamspy, the game’s just about to reach 600k. For comparison, Kingdom Come is at 565k sales at full price on Steam less than four weeks after launch and with the troubled Deep Silver handling the marketing.

The marketing was really bad, which is weird because Bethesda did an incredible job introducing Dishonored to the public. Remember Blur’s badass CG reveal or the Drunken Whaler gameplay trailer? That got my attention straight away, and they created these great videos showing off the various ways players could tackle challenges. For Prey, they just highlighted fighting gooey aliens and turning into a mug, which wasn’t a super exciting pitch. I guess the lackluster marketing coupled with the bizarre name choice (it’s called Prey but has nothing to do with the old Prey, but it’s still using the high level concept of being an FPS where you fight aliens in a space ship, and every interview, profile, and feature mentions the original Prey, adding to the confusion), and their crazy review policy created a perfect storm for the game to be overlooked.

Maybe with a standalone mini-moon campaign, the game will get a second wind?

$17.59 at Direct2Drive, for members, whatever they are.

Despite the praise and some good impressions from the trial version, I’m hesitating to pick this up. It looked to me very much like it was set in a hotel or some offices. What’s inviting about that? Space offices are still offices.

It isn’t - its set on a space station. I am pretty sure you will love it.

Except for going out into space in a space suit and traversing outside the station.

Nah. @Alistair is right. It is mostly set in a giant office building/hotel. It’s floating in space, but other than the sci-fi bits, the environments mostly have that same art-deco office lobby look to them that kind of blended together after awhile.

Huh? Thats like complaining Bioshock is just set in corridors and rooms. After the first few hours, it was pretty diverse. Tunnels, offices, security stations, outside in space, laboratories, cargo spaces, dining areas, private areas and so on.

Maybe the fact that it was all inside makes you feel like its all the same lobby?

Sure. That and the aesthetics. I think the art design may have been too strong for me. Everything in the station, like every single thing, looks like it all came out of the same art-deco industrial design firm. It was pretty, but after awhile it all felt like being cooped up in a closed office park or resort hotel.

I didn’t have the same complaint about the Dishonored or Bioshock games because the levels felt varied despite having a strong unified art direction. You went from poor areas to luxury brothels and flooded slums and high-rise apartments, etc. In this, it’s just one big continuous structure.

So true. I count it a rare gift that I got to experience that the way Arkane meant it to be experienced. The publisher’s job is to sell the game, even if it means compromising the game design or story telling. Which is why I make it a habit of ignoring publishers. It’s a minor miracle that I played Prey as late as I did and still got to experience that moment.

-Tom

I played until the end, what was the “holy shit” moment?

Well now I want to play it.

I did as well - there was a lot of fun little reveals in the first hour of the game, starting with the flight to the second building where the experiments took place. It had a very Half Life vibe going on I really enjoyed. Then things just keep escalating for the next few reveals and it’s kind of awesome, really easy to get into. It’s a great game. I should really play it a second time at some point here.

I remember once when I was walking down a hotel hallway and the gravity turned off and shit started exploding all around me as my worst nightmares tried to consume me.

Pretty boring.

Turn off the gravity in ancient Egypt and we’re talking.