Arkham City Prequel - Golden Age DCU

Variety has learned that WBIE is expected to reteam some of the characters in some form for the next installment in Rocksteady Studios’ gritty vidgame series that began with “Batman: Arkham Asylum” and “Arkham City.”

New, highly stylized title is being developed as a prequel that revolves around Batman’s first meeting with the Joker. It’s based on the Silver Age of DC’s comicbooks from the 1950s when the Caped Crusader teamed with other heroes like Superman and founded the Justice League of America.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/07/11/silver-age-prequel-for-rocksteadys-batman-franchise-will-feature-jla/

Interesting!

So you mean silver age?

As much as I love the Joker (honestly my favourite villain of all time), they need to pick another main villain to revolve it around. Part of me says that because Hammill won’t be doing the voice, and he’s amazing as the Joker, but also because I’m just kind of tired of all Joker all the time and want to see what they can do to expand some of the other villains.

If they use it for aesthetic inspiration, okay, but if it goes full-tilt goofball Schumacher nonsense, there will be hell to pay.

Arkham City seemed to be setting up a lot of stuff for a sequel. Surprised they’re backing off of that now. Maybe saving it for next gen.

Um, yeah. Silver, Gold, it’s all heavy metal to me!

From the article:

“Green Lantern” scribes Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green are writing “The Flash” for director Greg Berlanti, while another “Green Lantern” scribe, Michael Goldenberg, has been hired to write “Wonder Woman.”

Whitta, get started on a Flash script STAT! Save my favorite hero, please.

Leery.

Have great faith in Rocksteady’s ability to deliver solid games, but previous two Batman titles were all about dark, gritty settings and characters. While prospect of playing as other super-powered comic characters definitely holds a lot of potential, unsure how bat-glue-wielding, dynamic-duo-with-Robin version of character will fit into an engine optimized for open-world exploration and multi-enemy melee combat.

I wonder if you fire the grapple but then slowly walk up the side of the building while chatting with Robin.

But will they bring in Ace the Bat-Hound???

Hmm. More Rocksteady Batman goodness sounds great, but I’m not thrilled about the setting.

I’m thinking they’re going full Animated Series with this. And by thinking I mean hoping.

Snapper Carr confirmed as playable character, Daddy-O?

(reference may be too obscure for most readers)

Now I have a vision of Window Cameos DLC.

Perfect. I wonder if they’ll do the whole thing with a half tone filter.

Hand me down the shark repellent bat spray!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bREcn8PFYk

“Vidgame”?

It’s Variety, that’s their schtick.

I have a really, really hard time believing they’d follow up two megapopular grim’n’gritty games with one set 40 years earlier, based on an era best known for four-color goofiness.

My own wild guess would be that either:

• Someone said something like, “Batman will be teaming up with other heroes, like he did back in the Silver Age” and Variety misinterpreted that as meaning it’s literally based on the Silver Age.

or:

• Rocksteady is doing a Silver Age Batman game – but it’s not going to be in the Arkham series, but rather branded as the Brave and the Bold or somesuch.

I hope they go full mid-century comic on this. In fact, I hope you can break into the Sterling Cooper offices and check out Joan while rampaging through the city.

I’d be okay with option two as long as its a bit more expansive than the ds/wii one. Something a little open world with the strong combat of the arkham games. I’m going to admit I had a blast with brave and the bold on ds. I think it’s the most fun I’ve had in a video game for a while just because of how goofy things were. Gorilla Grodd turns Batman into Bat-Ape and Aquaman rides him as they battle gorilla Grodd. It’s probably the hardest I’ve laughed at a video game in a long time.

Didn’t Arkham City end in a cliffhanger? It’d be a shame to leave things that way.