Arkham Horror and the Expansions

I decided to make its own thread for this, in case others have, or are trying to figure out what to use.

I now have all the expansions to date (except the RIVISED version of the Pharoah one.) I spent the last couple of days getting everything reorganized and separated into each expansions own stuff.

Now, I have all of this stuff…

For those of you that are in the know, I want to only use the base game(board) for a bit, but still want some of the expansion stuff. What should be the base line for content? Always use the King in Yellow? What about the Pharoah stuff? The Goat expansion? The Lurker expansion? What about the different components from the big box expansions? Like the injury/madness cards?

What do you use in EVERY game, no matter what expansions (boards) you use or not use?

Thanks

Chris

For those of you that are in the know, I want to only use the base game(board) for a bit, but still want some of the expansion stuff. What should be the base line for content? Always use the King in Yellow? What about the Pharoah stuff? The Goat expansion? The Lurker expansion? What about the different components from the big box expansions? Like the injury/madness cards?

It varies from person to person. Some people like to combine it all together and make it totally random, others like to prevent dilution as much as possible to preserve specific themes and/or gameplay elements. I personally prefer the latter and always play with the base game + 1 small expansion + 1 big expansion. Any more than that and it’s too much.

What I do is keep the mythos cards for small and big box expansions separate and combine them with the base expansion cards when I’m ready to play. You can do the same with the location and gate cards to create more theme, but that’s going a step too far for me.

Beyond that, I always use the injury/madness cards and those Kingsport mini cards that put clue tokens in green locations (forget what they’re called). I also always use the story cards from Innsmouth and sometimes the relationship cards from Lurker (I don’t like using them all the time because they’re another card you have to always pay attention to).

I also put red and blue meeples on monsters to identify them (red) and to know when we’re at the monster limit (blue).

Dunwich and King in Yellow are my favorite expansions. However, I’d avoid Black Goat for now until you’re ready, not only for the challenge and conditions, but because it’s kind of broken (the cult is never worth joining). One variant is to have all characters start the game as a part of the cult. Hopefully, it’ll get revised like Pharaoh did.

Lurker, contrary to what you might think, actually makes the game quite a bit easier (I think Miskatonic U. fixed that though).

I personally enjoy Kingsport, but it can be boring for some and some of its locations are never worth going to (unfortunately).

I think that’s about it. Just try not to bog the game down with too many expansions and you should be fine.

I would always have the full pool of characters and Ancient Ones unless you specifically want to play with a particular loadout. Similarly, I would always use any monsters that are not specifically tied to a particular Ancient One, game board or other piece of expansion content. Injury and Madness cards, and probably personal storylines seem like they’d always make the game better. Technically you’re not supposed to use more than 11 ally cards but I find they don’t come into play very often and it’s much less interesting to be forced to take the alternate result in the encounters where you could gain an ally just because they weren’t in the deck to begin with, so I’d leave that deck full. Whether to keep the item/skill/etc decks separate is up to you - more variety is good but they can get unwieldy. Other than that I’d probably do just one board expansion and one or two card expansions, tops. Even that much can dilute the threat from some game mechanics like the King in Yellow’s Acts.

I figure I would use, as my baseline, the Dunwich Horror, The King in Yellow, and probably the Curse of the Paroah (maybe). I will use all the items cards (spells, items, ect). I was thinking of using all the allies (maybe), and using all the injury/madness cards. Also, using all the locations, Mythos and gate cards…but not sure about the Mythos and the Gate Cards. Especially the Gate Cards, as it seems I would be using the “Other” result quite a bit. I could be wrong, though.

Is that a decent (gameplay without crazy dilution) basic set up? I figure sometimes, I could use one of the other board expansions either along with Dunwich or instead of. But I remember really liking the Dunwich Horror expansion a lot when I played before.

There is just so much in the game anymore, that it is hard to determine what to use.

I also use all the ally cards too, but instead of discarding one when the terror level rises, I discard three.

Especially the Gate Cards, as it seems I would be using the “Other” result quite a bit. I could be wrong, though.

You are correct. It’s probably better to separate the Dunwich and Kingsport gate cards from the rest (as well as the gates themselves), but it’s not that big of a deal. Some people actually slide Dunwich and Kingsport underneath the main board and stick out the gate portions and always have them in play even if you’re not playing with the boards themselves. I guess it’s more about if you can spare the room at that point though.

As for the mythos cards, you can probably leave them in and just have players redraw if they draw a mythos cards from an expansion not in play.

Also, I might advise using the gates that came with Lurker instead of the base gates as they’re much more interesting and mix things up a bit. They do make the game a tad more difficult, however.

Is that a decent (gameplay without crazy dilution) basic set up?

I think you’ll be happy.

Lots of discussion in the other thread:

Injury/madness (Dunwich) and epic battle (Kingsport) are mandatory for all games now. I consider them just part of the game no matter what expansions are being used.

If you start mixing a lot of expansions they start to get diluted very easily and lose their teeth. Check out this variant for an interesting solution to that problem. Don’t forget to scroll about half way down for the chart of pre-draw numbers depending on which expansions you are using.

Yeah, definitely discard more than one ally card for the terror level (the appropriate number probably varies depending on how many expansions you have), and possibly also for effects like the Southside Strangler.

I just ordered a copy of the base game and I was checking out the expansion stuff a bit. I was wondering if there is any order you need to follow for the expansion (do they build linearly on themselves) or can I just get whatever sounds cool to me and add stuff willy nilly?

Get whatever sounds cool.

You’ll be fine getting whatever, but the Dunwich expansion is generally considered the best expansion to get first. After that, I’d say get whatever. Just be aware that the Miskatonic U. expansion is really just an expansion for all expansions, so you really only want to get it after you have everything.

Perfect!

One caveat: Ignore the old Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion – instead, look for the one with “Revised Edition” in the corner. It really is much improved.

Well I guess this begs the question: Which expansions are the best/most interesting?

Dunwich - 10/10
King in Yellow - 10/10
Innsmouth - 9/10 (ups the difficulty dramatically)
Lurker - 8/10
Kingsport - 7/10
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (original) 6/10 (revised edition should make this much better)
Black Goat of the Woods - 5/10 (really needs a revision)

I don’t have Miskatonic yet, but it basically improves or enhances all the expansions in some way.

How the hell is it that these expansions cost so damn much?

Yeah, if this catches on I’m gonna be broke. :( Still, if we have fun it’s worth it!

Someone else is definitely up if we decide to get another game though…

Thanks, good to know. These were the three that looked the coolest to me anyway.

Dibs on one of the $20 expansions.

Kingsport is worth buying before Innsmouth for epic battle alone. Anyway, don’t be in a rush to buy them all, there’s tons of content in each of the big boxes. In fact, base game + Dunwich could last you months.

The epic battle cards are great additions, but IMHO not that high of a priority since battling an ancient one doesn’t happen every game (kind of rare in fact) and the mechanic that’s already in place should suffice until you’re ready to buy Kingsport.

I would agree that newbies shouldn’t touch Innsmouth without playing through the base a few times and even then Innsmouth would probably rape them. :P