Arma Reforger - Bohemia Interactive's pre-Arma 4 MP game

Would you recommend one for the single player fan?

Antistasi in Reforger is what I’m hanging out for.

None. Actually, it’s been a while, and I don’t know what’s the most actively-developed fork any more. A lot of little A3 groups have grabbed the original source and monkeyed around with it to include their favorite mods so the whole “scene”, such as it is, is a mess. And I’d also have to say that Antistasi will break your heart as a strictly SP experience (it’s so damn close to be playable that way) but it’s more intended for coop and group comp stomps.

Apex Old Man is probably the best we’ll ever get for SP A3.

This.

I read it more as features needed for their Conquer the Island thingie with PvPvE, that they had since Arma 2.

Playing some Tiller Danube Front '85 and I just learnt that Reforger is actually one of those military acronyms REturn of FORces to GERmany - the transfer of US military units to Germany in the event of an invasion.

I grew up during this era, and the annual Reforger exercise was a scary reminder of the Cold War reality we lived in.

It was a massive exercise to practice moving thousands of troops from the US, Canada, UK, etc to meet up with pre-deployed equipment placed in Germany and Belgium. It was also a show of force to the Warsaw Pact regarding our level of preparation. Reforger exercises were conducted from 1969-1993…

I was in high school JROTC in the mid 80s, ROTC then inactive reserve in the late 80s/early 90s, and went active duty in 1993. As I said, scary stuff.

After watching this, I thought, “Oh, neat, some single player stuff?”

Nope.

Ground Support delivers an entirely unique landscape to explore, a cooperative-multiplayer game mode, new weapons, and much more. Of course, this 0.9.7 update is also packed with a sizable list of critical fixes, stability optimizations, and other exciting improvements for both players and community modders.

Sigh, I’m sick of single player being an afterthought.

I wouldn’t expect much SP content from Reforger any time soon. I haven’t purchased or played it but from what I know it’s a very rough tech demo / prototype with a slow-ish update cadence focusing on engine features instead of playable content. It seems even the Arma community is a little disappointed with how barebones and buggy it is.

Does it have any workshop content?

I am still waiting for this to be more than a “demo”

Love the idea of Cold War era Arma

I liked the improved feeling of movement and the map design but the bare bones ai and the constant disconnects killed my interest in playing it. Not sure how they can salvage it after the launch issues. Maybe if disconnects are fixed a Game Pass release might give it new life.

Edit: Apparently the new Combat Operations scenario can be played single player according to their website.

Marek Španěl’s czenglish is the most hilariously stereotypical czenglish I have ever heard

And fun fact, Ivan Buchta is one of the two devs who was imprisoned in greece for months on charges of spying for taking some pictures

I have enjoyed looking at the game, and seeing the tech that the team is working on, but I still don’t understand why anyone would want to pay for an Arma 4 tech demo.

Bohemia were pretty explicit in Reforger being kind of a short term experiment.

I guess I don’t see a reason to jump in until Arma 4 arrives.

Yeah, Reforged is Bohemia basically saying: let’s monetize the fact we have a hardcore fan community, which part will gladly pay twice for Arma 4, now for a tech demo, and later with the full game.

Reforger being played by 400 people while Arma 3 by 16000 and DayZ by 43000.

The should probably fully focus on Arma 4 and DayZ support.

Sigh, again, Reforger is BI’s tech testbed. They’ve been very clear and open about this. BI has literally told people not to buy this if they’re looking for ArmA4. They’ll build ArmA4 when the engine in Reforger is solid.

I mean… Arma 4 is Arma Reforger, basically. They are totally going to sell you again most of the content in Arma 4.

Don’t buy our game!

If they sold Reforger for 10 bucks, I would buy it to mess around with it, I like the Cold War setting, but 30 bucks for a tech demo, with no guarantee of support in the future etc… No wonder nobody is playing it. Hell, even if they said if you buy reforger and get a 20$ discount on Arma 4 I would probably buy it.