ARMA2 CO Mod: DayZ (Zombies, persistent world)

I want this to be a sort of living world where the game puts you in interesting situations, where supplies are scarce and the undead populous wanders around, doing its own thing. Judging from what I saw from the video, though, I’m getting the impression this is more of a open world shooting gallery with no real momentum other than what you might inject yourself via role play.

I noticed the survival aspects of it, but is it really enough incentive to push you forward? I mean, to what end? I’m guessing it works kind of like Minecraft does in that regard. Or am I totally off mark here?

Haha. :)

I think it is actually meant to be what you describe, at least to some degree. You just have to keep in mind, that this is an alpha version, which, while meaning different things normally is more or less the proof of concept phase I guess its called.

I also hope that eventually things like building a community, fortress, houses, crafting in general makes it in, but thats just because it has such huge potential instead of silly fantasy MMOs - As in, crafting in a post-zombie-apocalyptic world makes a helluva lot more sense and has real use other than everyone being able to make their own swords.

Basically we are hoping for a proper Fort Zombie with multiplayer and in a seamless world, right?

Very big pity Fort Zombie didn’t receive at least a few more months of attention…

There is a rumour that cars will be going back in today, and that tents will also be working ;)

This is mod is awesome, really gives a STALKER feel to ARMA, music is great to add some tension.

also

Morality system, now named “humanity” is currently in local dedicated testing. It will be released for a single public dedicated test within 12 hours, assuming no showstoppers. When your humanity drops to a certain level, you become a “bandit” and your character model is changed accordingly. Humanity is persistent across all your characters.

Anyone knows if Tents are working?

gah fine, I’m breaking down and buying Arma II for this today.

Just so you know, you need Arma 2 AND Operation Arrowhead for it to work.

Its still fun :D

I’ve played about 10 hours of this so far with a friend. So far I’m loving it. Definitely gives off a STALKER vibe. One thing bugs me though, is there a way to spawn in the same place as a buddy?

From my experience (me and thorn dying >.>) if you both respawn around the same time you appear in the same place, or maybe it was just luck.

I wish we could run simple servers for friends, just like in the good old days of Diablo. What fun it was to keep a server up for mates to coop on.

This is really fun, and also really hard. The zombies warping around really needs to be fixed though, and maybe their movement speed lowered a little bit while they’re running. But this is all sorts of awesome, and creepy.

I’ll be joining up later today - How are people recognized in-game? Does one select a name and you can see it, or is it totally ui-less and you have to chat with people over mikes only?

It looks like it might depend, certain servers are no crosshairs and stuff, and you can’t see their names, but I think other servers that allow crosshairs will let you see peoples names. So far, in my experience, you just have to ask people for their name to get it, and it doesn’t matter much anyway, since both of you will probably die pretty soon afterwards.
Ladders suck, I just died because the ladders are buggy and I just slipped right off of it in the middle of my climb, what a bitch.

You have to holster your weapon to climb ladders (double tap ctrl), but you can’t do that with a revolver so unless you have a primary weapon, dont climb ladders.

Heh, that’s a pretty big oversight, as I understand the usual is to start the game just with a revolver.

So far it seems like tents are working, although we are half expecting our stuff to disappear any time :P

Well shit, had found NVG, map, compass, gps, and AK with like 7 clips that i gave to Thorn, and went inland to try to find my luck (and maybe kill some people) but then i died when entering the wrong building and the zombies swarming me :|

I think they increased the detection radius of the zombies or something.

“Two’s company but three’s a crowd” - About 785 people playing DayZ all at once. Amazing really! Thank you everyone! Keep on hunting!

From their twitter, not bad!

GG had the games on offer, so if you want the game for the mod… now it’s a good time

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-A2COEU/arma-2-combined-operations-bundle