Armageddon Empires

You should right-click her and it should show you the building options.
Here is a snap of what it should show.

If it doesn’t display anything right-clicking, maybe you aren’t in supply range? You can’t build outside of supply range. You can check it with a toggle at the bottom.

Also, your overlay might show that you are in supply but an enemy unit might be blocking it but you can’t see the enemy unit that is doing it.

OK, got it. Thanks. I missed the option that pops up when you right clock on the hero card.

I ended up losing that first game. Enemy snuck in and got my HQ. I thought I had some troops in there but I guess I didn’t.

So, I started a new game today, same default setup - me as Men and enemy as Machine. Map size default along with everything else. I read a bit more of the manual too, but I must only be 50% of the way through the instructions. In any case, I held my own this time and won. I made better use of recon units to keep an eye on things.

It was touch and go for a bit as I bumped into a tough army, but I was aply to retreat and move back to an outpost. Recruited some more units and headed back out. I started making headway and defeated their armies including the grand finale at their HQ where I had to defeat 4 different armies (not full strength).

This is a pretty cool game - scrounge for some resources, keep an eye out for the enemy, extend the supply lines, get more powerful units, build some attachments. Lots to do. I didn’t recall seeing any difficulty settings. I imagine multiple enemies will make things tougher. I had an enjoyable 3-5 hours or so playing today.

The unofficial sequel is Last Days of Old Earth. Originally Vic Davis was involved, but then parted ways with the devs. I have no idea if it is any good.

It’s ok. It’s more modern in terms of presentation and interface, but it lacks a lot of the depth of AE.

I haven’t heard great things about Last Days of Old Earth (the little bit I’ve heard). Like tgb123 says I’ve heard it’s OK.

The UI is a bit clunky in AE, but its usable. I wouldn’t want to give up the depth for a better UI.

You pretty much summed it up. I think the main appeal of Last Days of Old Earth was the multiplayer mode, but I play Last Armageddon Armageddon Empires for the ride.
Still bought Last Days though. Also played Solium Infernum single player only. Not that smart, I guess.

If you want some (maybe unfair) difficulty in AE, the expansion might be your friend.

Last Days of Old Earth can’t hold a candle to Armageddon Empires. I get what they were going for by carrying over the gameplay wholesale, but they missed the point. Last Days of Old Earth is about as pointless as Gus van Sant’s shot-for-shot remake of Psycho.

-Tom

Good analogy. There are only two games from back then that I always keep installed not matter what - AE and Hannibal: Rome & Carthage In The Second Punic War

So Tom’s recent playthrough has me really hankering for some Empires of the Armageddon variety…but I can’t seem to get them to install on Windows 10. Anyone happen to have the same problem and hopefully a fix?

Paging @Vic_Davis

One solution could be a virtual machine running an older windows release.

I have it installed and run it under Win 10, but don’t remember having to do anything special to do so. Compatibility mode, perhaps?

What’s actually the problem with the install? Are you getting a specific error message? It’s an old install shield version but I haven’t had any problems installing it on my windows 10 desktop…not that that means much. Don’t sell many nowadays but I haven’t had any reports of troubles with windows 10. Usually compatablity mode solves any problems. Are you installing as administrator and all the jazz? Maybe try installing with compatability mode selected for something earlier?

If you just bought it I can refund your purchase. Just send me an email.

Sorry for the hassle.

@Vic_Davis - Please start making computer games again.

Harvey

Can’t you submit AE to Steam now for just $100 bucks? Seems like there’s a good chance you’d get your money back…

+1

Though I’d take an Armageddon Empires boardgame too… ;)

Did that Solium Infernum boardgame ever pan out? No reference on BGG…

No issues on Windows 10 here.

When I was streaming, Vic said he’d be too embarrassed to release it onto Steam. He’s convinced it would get raked over the coals, I presume, for being old or obtuse. And while that certainly might happen, I think he’s more likely to have a bunch of fans happily giving it thumbs ups.

-Tom

He must not have spent much time in the bowels of recent Steam releases…

If he has, this may precisely be why he is not looking forward to having to cope with abuse from trolls, nerds with resolution issues or worse, guys asking you to put the original synthetic voices back in, for a meager monetary compensation. I totally understand that.