Armageddon Empires

I’ve honestly moved on to other things. Lot’s of reasons I prefer not to go into and some are personal. 2004 to 2013 took a lot out of me. I am messing around with some board /card game designs. It’s a completely different beast from being an indie computer game developer. It’s easier in some ways and harder in others. Luckily I can treat it as a fun hobby.

I just want everyone to know that @Vic_Davis went above and beyond to help me get this eleven year old game running again, and I went back to it like greeting an old friend.

And then immediately died faster than Tom did, after I forgot to move some dinosaurs into an army. Doh!

Looking forward to seeing what you make in the board- and card-game space, Vic. Nothing else like your games.

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I’ve just reinstalled AE and have a slight problem…my dice are slow. I’ve enabled/disabled ‘fast dice’, tried windowed/fullscreen in all sorts of variations yet still can’t get the dice to roll quickly.

I know he’s moved on to greener pastures, but If @Vic_Davis has any ideas, I’d love to hear them. Thanks! An amazing game worthy of replaying for years.

Oh man, I really should reinstall this game on my current rig and give it another spin.

Never be sorry for posting about Armageddon Empires, even issues :O

This is one of those weird things that happened even right after release in 2007. Sometimes restarting the computer worked. I also think running the game in a compatability mode might work. That seemed to always do the trick for a lot of the issues.

Glad you are still enjoying the game! Hope this helps.

Thanks, Vic! Restarting worked like a charm. Shame on me for not trying that in the first place. Love the game.

Don’t know anything about this one as I didn’t play it when it originally came out, but noticed it’s on steam, is that the same game?

Yes. Get it and hug it!

is this comparable to Shadow Empire, but less daunting? I looked at SE videos, and it was too much… this seems to have a similar vibe.

It’s got that similar evocative crazy vibe nobody can tell whence it comes from. And also an obtuse UI that hides away most of the incredible things you can do in the game (at first glance, it will look like you can do practically nothing, so check a tutorial out!)

If someone made a boardgame based on Shadow Empire, it might resemble Armageddon Empires.

Post apocalyptic desert landscape where humans, mutants, aliens and killer robots fight it out in a card driven mini-4x - with copious references to pop/pulp fiction (such as snake plisskin and mad Max).

IIRC a game should take an hour or two; it’s basically about finding and destroying the other headquarter(s) whilst protecting yours.

It’s a great great game, with a lot of clever ideas in a clunky package: The UI takes some getting used to and the first few games will be confusing…but it is quite a straight forward game at heart.

Wow, great to have this one accessible on Steam. I have an old school digital copy kicking around somewhere. Perhaps other Cryptic Comet titles are on the way?

Holy cow, AE is on Steam now?! Thanks for sharing that, I loved this one.

For you kids too young to remember the original, I came across this bit of Tomsplaining:

For clarification – this IS “the original,” right? Were any significant changes to the game made that would impact play? It’s my understanding that this is same game, different store (potentially including pesky DRM), but please correct me if I’m wrong. $8.99 hangs in the balance!

Yes it is the original.

Bought, installed, and I’m having a problem running it. At Vic’s suggestion I’m running it in Windowed mode, but no matter what compatibility setting I try, the top and bottom are cut off, making the game unplayable. This at 1920x1080

I’ve already posted this in the Steam forum, but perhaps Vic will see it here first. Or maybe someone else has an idea.

sounds like a monitor issue? It seems it zooms the 4:3 to 16:9, tronking upper and dow parts. Probably can be checked in display properties or video drivers, or in the monitor’s settings themselves