Armed Assault and the Zombie mod . . . AAR

I played through the first part, too, and liked it a lot. Very creepy, and I managed to save the very first civilian! Yes!

Just now, playing it again to show my girlfriend, I saved him again, but then a zombie from off in the darkness lurched up after I left him, and when I turned back around the civvie was going down. Dammit.

There’s ALSO an awesome zombie mission included with the mod. It’s a folder called “CZMDemo2.Sara” that, when copied into your Missions folder, becomes a special mission involving antidote recovery and HORDES of zombies. It’s got a pretty amazing opening scene, but unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to play it past the first 10 minutes, which are basically all you want from a zombie mission in a game.

Now if anyone can tell me how to DEcompile the .pbo file into an editable mission file, I’ll be very appreciative. I want to steal tricks and ideas from ElGuapo and the CZM mod, but you can’t open completed mission files in the editor.

EDIT: Found it! Download this, run the cpbo program, then right click on any .pbo file, choose ‘extract’, then copy the resulting file (which ends in Sara) into your My Documents/Arma/Missions/ folder (NOT the game directory) and then you can edit them yourself.

GOD I love PC gaming!!

after a couple hours of downloading and installing i got quarantine booted up and it’s pretty fun, although as mentioned earlier starting with just a pistol is annoying. better off with the 4x4 with the machine gun.

but how do you reload the 4x4’s machine gun? what ammo do i need for it? i got a merc manning it but he says it’s out of ammo.

has anyone made some more missions yet?

OK, I got ARMA gold for about $15 from one of the Amazon sellers and installed it this weekend. I also installed the zombie mod. A couple of observations

1. The zombies are nigh invulnerable. It seemed like it took 20+ shots of 5.56 to drop one, esp since head-shots do not help. The sniper rifle was better, but still took 2-3 shots. Since shooting simply attracts more zombies, I started simply avoiding them and avoiding getting cornered.

2. I suck at the basic ARMA game. There must be a secret to seeing the enemy, because right now I keep getting wasted without ever seeing the bad guy.

With the Quarantine mod (and Yomies zombie mod), yes they are really tough. With the CZM mod they will go down with one headshot, but their body is tough.

The ugly secret is that there is no secret. The AIs are idiot savant aimbots who can drill you 1.2km with one shot from a rusty ak47

Any tweaks or mods to tone this down?

i was playing the convoy sniping mission in unmodded single player where you’re on a watertower (btw, nice of them to make it so that’s the place you have to go for the script trigger instead of any where non-obvious) and the ais were taking three of four hits to the arms, legs, and bodies and still wouldn’t go down. it was really pissing me off since i was playing on regular, not vet. is there any way to check if a mod is affecting the game? or like mentioend above, toning it down?

btw, get a truck with a mounted machine gun, either the supply truck, the one in that little army base, or buy one. those things take out the zeds in three hits tops.

I was on the same sniping mission and gave up on the campaign because of it. The AI were more accurate with their AKs than I was with the sniper rifle.

I think I would up putting AI on easy, or even modding their aim values down, don’t remember which. Don’t care if it’s cheating or whatever, I feel you really do need some kind of advantage in a game as merciless as this one.

How exactly do you mod their values down? Even on easy that sniping mission has just been utterly shameful when it comes to me getting beat down by marksmen conscripts with AKs from a kilometer away.

I found this via googlefu and implemented it last night. Now I stand somewhat of a chance. Precision is accuracy…skill is the speed of the AI. The OP increased the default skill to make them better in close-quarters combat. I did not.

"To make them not that accurate, so they cannot take you out with a single shot from miles away with an AK-74, you might want to edit the AI skill levels in your ARMAPROFILE file. Go to your profile (C:\Documents and Settings\User name…\Your ArmA User name) and open the ARMAPROFILE text file and edit the next lines in ‘class regular’ and ‘class veteran’ under ‘class Difficulties’:

skillFriendly=1.0;
skillEnemy=1.0;
precisionFriendly=0.45;
precisionEnemy=0.45;

Mod away, but no need to really. Go into options somewhere (I forget exactly … somewhere in gameplay or the like). There is an Enemy/AI skill slider. I set mine down to about 66% of what it was and it made the battles much less frustrating.

Not regarding the zombie mod, but I tried out the mission editor last night and found it as easy as ElGuapo made it out to be. In only a few minutes I’d created a Twilight 2000-like mission with a US M113 with a few riflemen (with limited ammo) meet up with a BMP and a bunch of crappily-trained AK47 troops. Only thing missing were the red stars on the turret. I liked how you could edit the mission, then jump into it and play it, then jump right back out into the editor.

If there’s one thing ArmA did right, it was make an awesomely easy editor to use. I’ve made a light skirmish in South Sahrini between Opfor and Bluefor. You’re part of the recon group that comes in to deal with the separatist forces when a zombie outbreak occurs.

It’s great to see choppers flying overhead and peppering ground forces with rocket fire as rooftop emplaced man-portable AA takes them out while sporadic gunfire echoes in the distance. After a few tense minutes of close-quarters engagment with this going on around you, the hellish groaning of the undead fill your ears and negative status reports from your men start rolling in on your comms. “1 is down!” “2 is injured!” “4 needs evac!” Can you get back to the HMMV in time?

One of my favorite gaming moments of all time was playing the Zombie mod for the original flashpoint game.

So much fun! Someone had created a mission for the game where you had to get from checkpoint A to B to C. It was a really cool mission. You were timed (as the evac helicopter would not wait forever) and the zombies got increasingly larger in number as the mission went on. At first we were running down the road in a diamond formation with someone checking front/back/left/right and we were sure the mod was broken because there were no zombies.

Then, every once in a while someone would call out that they saw a zombie, and we would stop and fire at him. We kept running down the road, and the zombie sightings became more and more numerous.

There were far too many, and we had far too little ammo. We noticed that there was a military base not too far away from the road. We took a detour and headed over there in hopes of finding an ammo cache.

We were in luck! The base was surrounded by fencing with the entrance guarded by a mounted 50 cal (or some sort of machine gun) Someone popped on the gun while the rest of us searched the base.

I went up into one of the larger structures to get a better look. Scouting with my Binoculars I could see some zombies off on the horizon shambling our way. I shouted to my team-mates that they were coming. They had found a cache of ammo for our near depleted rifles and an old transport vehicle.

Bbbbrraatttt!!! The 50 cal rang out, and we knew the zombies were close. One of my squadmates hopped in the driver’s seat and positioned the truck ready to bust out the door. “Hop in!” he yelled. We all made our way down to the car, but while doing so I accidentally slipped off the stairs and fell 20 feet to the cold concrete below.

My legs were shattered. I began the slow army crawl towards the truck. I yelled out that I had broken my legs, and the truck began to back up towards me. I was able to hop in, but the few precious seconds we wasted to get me in the truck had given the hordes the time to catch up to us.

The man on the 50 cal was overwhelmed, and as he ran back towards us he was overtaken by a couple of fast moving zombies. Apparently they had made it in the back way somehow…

We should have checked the perimeter… this oversight cost a man his life, and my poor footing didn’t help either. Without a moment to ponder the death of our beloved comrade we gunned the engine and screamed out the gate. Lee looked over to me and said… oh shit…

This truck is almost out of gas.

I pulled out the map and frantically looked for a gas station. We were in luck, because there was one on the road ahead. We made our way to the gas station seeing zombies every couple of minutes running behind our truck. Lee quickly pulled into the gas station, and we began re-fueling. I hopped out the back and kept an eye out for zombies. Things were quiet… too quiet.

Suddenly Bob cried out that there were some up ahead. The pump was feeding us gasoline at an agonizingly slow rate. I hobbled my way to the front of the truck and began picking off zombies… there were far too many. After a while, I decided to turn around to check our rear.

You know what they say… “Ignorance is bliss” I wish I hadn’t seen what I did, hundreds of zombies behind us, closing fast. It was the horde that had accosted us at the army depot. I shouted to my team-mates that we had some company, and we all decided that we would have enough gas to make it the rest of the way. Everyone hopped in the truck and we were on our way.

Laughing about our escape, someone asked Will a question.

Wait… where was Will? He had missed the train out of zombieville. (I think he was AFK for the refueling and we forgot to wait for him) Silence held group hostage as thoughts of our courageous comrade danced in our heads. He would never get back to his wife and baby girl.

Damn these zombies. Damn them all.

After a short trip through the countryside and the circumnavigation of a surely zombie infested town, we were headed to the extraction point with mere minutes remaining.

“Something is wrong” commented Lee… “We are out of gas” We are going to have to leg it.

This is something I could not do, but seeing as we had gotten away from the large horde of zombies, we all began moving to the extraction point at a slowed pace. Things were going well, and the helicopter pad was in sight… as were a crowd of zombies heading down the road. Firing wildly into the group, several dropped. This caused the remaining live zombies to charge us. The helicopter would be landing soon, so we decided to go for broke and rush the compound. Unable to run, I continued to hobble as my comrades sprinted to the gates.

I took out some of the zombies heading towards my team-mates, but the rest of the horde overwhelmed me. I could still be heard shouting and firing my rifle even as the zombies were eating me alive.

Game over.

(My team-mates did get to the chopper and got airlifted out fine)

Such an awesome LAN party that was.

Anyone want to play some Arma zombie mod this weekend? I would totally be up for it.

Holy. I hate zombies and this mod sounds awesome.

Thought I’d bump this rather than mess up the ArmA2 thread. Did any of the mod makers ever make a more complete Zombie mod? The CZM looked fairly rough and ready… though I’m no expert on how complete/complex ArmA mods tend to be.

Oh, it’s worth saying that I was going to post about this to the Arma-RPG forums, but they get twitchy when people talk about zombie mods; “Go play Resident Evil lol”.

I searched “zombie” in armholic and lots of results came off. Some interesting ones:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3330
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5523
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1628
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2833

^ Yeah, I’d seen those. It goes to show there really isn’t any comprehensive mod with chunky gameplay, missions, etc. Maybe something should be done about that by some folks with some skillz and … stuff.