Arrival - Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker, Destiny prologue

It’s not really the prologue to Destiny, but boy does the alien craft remind me of it.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve

November 11th, 2016.

(I haven’t seen the trailer).

Is this a remake of the Charlie Sheen movie, The Arrival? That one was surprisingly good.

Why won’t anyone describe what she is about to encounter before she encounters it?

For the same reason so many shows don’t just let the main characters talk like normal humans and figure out they’ve been tripping over one another for two seasons.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

It just doesn’t make sense. You don’t put someone in the field without Intel. Lazy story telling.

I think it looks pretty good. I like how the trailer is playing it coy instead of showing me everything, as seems to be the trend. The ship design seems interesting, vaguely looks like the Alien eggs.

If anyone is interested in reading the actual source material, it is a great story by the fantastic Ted Chiang entitled Story of Your Life (the working title for this movie). [[ I may have missed it but is there a way to underline in these posts ]]

Google tells me that it is available online here:

https://mathisgasser.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/ted-chiang_story-of-your-life_2000.pdf

Not a darn clue, but this site’s owner (among others) pointed out to me that titles get italics, these days. That’s what apparently happens when you let barbarians in the MLA format committees. (you still underline if it’s hand-written, however)

Some of us are still angry that a single space after the period is now acceptable per MLA.

Diego

Nope, no underline in the variant of markdown that Discourse uses. You can read about it here.

Fascinating. I don’t remember proper citation form from my undergrad years but in this particular case, I believe the short story title should be in " ", as it is a self contained work, generally found within a larger whole (like one article, within a law review journal - ). But really, @#$% if I know for sure.

Amen, Diego. Amen.

My wife double spaces after every period and it always made me uncomfortable. “Why the hell do you keep double tapping the space bar every 2 seconds?” I’m so very glad she doesn’t have a mechanical keyboard.

Or legally in Stories of Your Life and Others, which is how I got it.

Well now that’s more like it - full trailer.

edit: I should probably add, for the benefit of the spoilerphobic - there’s one scene there that I would imagine would make one hell of an impact if you don’t see it until you go to the movie.

Thanks for the edit; I was hoping to go into this one completely unburdened by prior knowledge (as I did with Interstellar, even if that didn’t quite work out as well as I’d hoped). Guess I should pop out of this thread now!

Man, I hope that trailer is filled with misdirection because I’m seeing a lot of stuff that’s not in the story at all.

All of Ted Chiang’s stories are amazing. There just aren’t very many of them, he’s not exactly prolific. Out of all of them, “Story of Your Life” seems like one of the least filmable. Also, although the director is the guy who did “Sicario” (and other things Tom likes, like “Enemy”), unfortunately the screenwriter is the guy who wrote the remakes to “Nightmare on Elm Street” and “The Thing”. But hey, he’s also done some movies that aren’t remakes, like “Final Destination 5”. So I’m not enthusiastic.

I love love love “Story of Your Life,” but I don’t think it will make for a good film adaptation.