Arrow

Yeah, stusser, I just couldn’t get into Smallville. I am not really sure why. Probably just too much previous mental Superman baggage. My rule of thumb for all shows is to watch the first 4 episodes and then decide (basically disc 1 of a DVD set). I actually gave Smallville more than 4, but it just didn’t work for me. I know from several friend that I was in the minority there.

I wonder when we get to see Deathstroke?

Smallville got embarrassingly bad in later seasons. At one point Lex Luthor somehow brainwashed Lana Lang into marrying him, then implanted her with some sort of Lex clone baby, then Lana mysteriously got a tramp stamp that turned her into a witch, and then they brought back the token black friend for an entire episode designed to promote a brand of gum. Stride or five or something like that, like “strive gum”. It gave the token black friend super powers. They have no shame. I shit you not.

Since there’s no Warehouse 13 for ages now, this will have to fill the gap. Seems like it could be an ok show, and I do like Green Arrow in general. I really hope they’re not going to try to make the little sister into the new Speedy, though.

You like warehouse 13 too? Clearly our tastes differ.

Well, to be fair, Stusser, think I have a much higher tolerance for Awful than most people. I have, for the past decade, spent the last weekend in January here, and I own a box set of this.

So please, don’t presume to lecture me on the intricacies of suffering. I’ve paid my dues and more.

I’m just going to keep pretending that what I initially thought was happening is true: he’s killing all these people he shoots with arrows. They’re dead. He’s like The Punisher.

Well, it’s no Xena. But then again, what could be? :(

Did they say anything about whether the guys he shot in the final assault survived? Because they looked pretty dead to me!

Some dudes are clearly dead…IE the guy with his arrow in his chest and eyes stairing blankly…the dudes shot up by his own men.

I’m not concerned with him going to cartooony violence. Why?

B/c earlier in the episode he killed a guy who begged for his life. If you’re going to go for a softer, non-arrows killing you don’t have your hero breaking the neck of a guy who just took prisoner. This is more Dark Knight than Punisher but it sure isn’t Superman.

Awful? No - this is no where near the legendary awfulness of The Cape. It’s the whole lethal super-hero bent popularized by Wolverine. And given that he is mostly using straightforward broadheads, he is going to have a high degree of dead bodies in his wake. It was okay - nothing horrible, nothing amazing. Maybe it will take off, maybe it wont. A high degree of models strutting about - we’ll see if they can act.

The Cape was an example of “Legendary awfulness”? Not even close. Talk to Drake113 about his Nightman collection. Smallville eventually dwarfed anything The Cape tried…and let’s not even get started on Birds of Prey.

God, the Cape. It’s like someone latched on to that one scene in Batman Begins where Liam Neeson is talking about the value of theatricality and decided to make a whole show about it.

A superhero trained by a friggin’ circus?! I guess it could have been worse: he could have been trained by the cast of Phantom of the Opera.

See, I liked the Cape. It knew it was ridiculous and went with it.

Arrow takes itself seriously.

I didn’t say there could be things even worse than The Cape, just that Arrow was nowhere in The Cape’s league when it came to gawdawfulness. As bad as Smallville could be at times in the latter seasons, it balanced it with some decent epiodes, and Erica Durance and Tom Welling were actually pretty good together. The Cape’s only redeeming feature was a midget with a mallet.

C’mon now, there was a badass bearded lady, there was a lizard-guy, the bad guy had chess pieces in his EYEBALLS, Eliot Gould was the main bad guy’s eye-rolling psychiatrist, every character was over the top. The Cape was awesome. It totally did not give a shit how ridiculous it was. It reveled in it.

Trouble was The Cape took itself seriously, too. Now if it knew it was ridiculous, such as Captain Nice or The Tick…

Yeah, it was shit alright…and that it died an exceedingly fast death confirms that.

You thought the cape took itself seriously? C’mon, now.

I think that’s a major component in why it failed. People didn’t realize the entire thing was an elaborate farce.

The automatic gain-saying of everything I say isn’t an argument. ;-)

And compared to the series I mentioned, yeah, The Cape took itself seriously. If you like watching a train-wreck, I suppose it had it’s moments.

WRONG