Art of Rally runs on an idyll engine

This is a very common error, but if you’re looking for me you have to remember that tricky “c” : Mr Bismarck.

As my Dad would say, “like the ship, there’s C (sea) in it.”

My bad :-)

I’ll send you a manual invite. Not sure why you didn’t import though.

Heh. Opposite problem here. People always try to add the C, even when you spell it.

Yep, the leaderboards aren’t cross platform. I still can’t see your times @Mr_Bismarck.

Ah, that’s a bummer. Wondering whether to refund and go Steam or just enjoy the Epic version with some forum competition/times. I recall having some great races against you on Dirt Rally!

I’m wondering that too geggis. We have @Reemul and @Rock8man. Maybe the four of us is enough to have fun time chases. There may be more people on Steam though. Hmm, I’m not sure what we should do yet.

yeah I am an epic purchaser only.

I’ve only just picked up Art of Rally before the sale ended so going to have a thrash on it now and see what’s what.

I just made it to 703rd for Group 2/Noormarkku and that’s listed as top 5% for Steam.

Something that speaks to how the cars are just little boxes and do handle differently is that my friends list on this combo has everyone setting their best times in a different car.

If you aint first your last! Shake n bake!

I tried the itch demo and the constantly-changing camera was jarring to me. Anyone else?

I played some on Epic before the sale ended and as much as I like the presentation and feel of the cars, I remember why I stopped playing Dirt Rally: losing control of my car after an otherwise decent run is a very specific kind of infuriating! Successive attempts I got worse too! Art of Rally might look chill and cute but it’s still a proper rally game (which, to be clear, is exactly what I expected and thought I wanted). I tend to drive in first-person or on the bonnet/fender so the bird’s eye/third-person view took some getting used. I welcomed the extra visibility and lack of co-driver barking in my ear though; that definitely took some cognitive load off. Shame I was pretty hopeless at it otherwise because it seems like a really cool rally game! :-) Another time, I think…

Not for me. Abrupt camera view changes can happen when the car changes direction to quick because of oversteering or doing inadvertent donuts.

I’m currently racing in the 80s campaign. The cars are much faster but they’re also harder to tame compared to the cars in early 70s. The cars do have different feel over the time. I often find myself skidding off the track as if 80s traction control was poorly constructed.

Anyway, I’d really like to know how do they simulate AI driving in snowy and foggy condition? This is the occasion where I can’t help thinking this is where the AI “cheats” because how could have the AI driven this fast in super low visibility and slippery condition? I can be trailing behind the AI for more than 10 seconds in some of the difficult weather conditions.

FYI, Funselektor’s previous game, Absolute Drift, is free on EGS this week.

Art of Rally now has cross-platform leaderboards! You know what to do, people.

Also ghost cars and dark mode.

As of today, Art of Rally is available in game pass Xbox and for the Switch.

I regret to say, having downloaded it, that the Switch version has far less scenery than other versions. But I like it so far.

I bought the Switch version as I am on vacation next week. Haven’t tried it yet.

I also bought the PC version a few months ago and played perhaps an hour. I don’t know why I do that

Chasing that dragon, son.

The new Kenya courses are available now as well! Look out, antelopes and wildebeests and whatnot, comin’ through! Hopefully African critters are better at self-preservation than the rally fans in this game.

-Tom