Ascension - January league

The January league is over! I’m champola.

== [B]Finals[/B] ==
Game 1: Ananab Tilps 80, Congestion 72
Game 2: Congestion 98, Ananab Tilps 79
Game 3: Ananab Tilps 65, Congestion 63

Each player should challenge the others below him in the list. The challenger may choose the decks to be used. Winners should report the result along with either the score or the point differential. The top two by wins/losses (with ties broken by point differential) will have a three-game playoff for champion!

[B]Qt3 name          GC name            W   L   Pts  [/B]

Sten Friberg      Congestion         3   2   +38  <<<
Boojum            MadOverlord        3   2   -10
Chris Gwinn       MNGwinn            1   4   -21
prolix            unprolix           3   2   -17
Mark Gray         Mr Swee            2   3   -14
Dave Perkins      Ananab Tilps       3   2   +24 <<<

Sten Friberg is the reigning champion, but he is joined by three other former champs: Boojum, who won the first-ever Ascension tournament (run by Diddums); Mark Gray, who won the November league; and me – I won something or other! All I know is that I beat Bahimiron and loved it.

Chris Gwinn burst on the scene last month, making the playoffs, and looked like he might be out of it this month until he put together one of the most impressive runs we’ve ever seen, even taking the #1 spot with a week to go.

Prolix is the dark horse here, although that implies he has a chance to win, and we all know he doesn’t, but least he’s humorous.

Here is how the month ended:

[B]Qt3 name          GC name            o = win, x = loss (compared to .500)  [/B]

Dave Perkins      Ananab Tilps       oooooooooooooo
Sten Friberg      Congestion         ooooooooooooo
Boojum            MadOverlord        oooooooooooo
Chris Gwinn       MNGwinn            ooooooooooo
prolix            unprolix           oooooooooo
Mark Gray         Mr Swee            ooooooooo
sinnick           SelfMadeSinnick    ooooooo
fumanstu          fumanstu27         ooo
krayzkrok         krayzkrok          ooo
RainRaven         RainRaven11        oo
wilykat           padingtun          o
Strazberry        Strazberry         
godhugh           godhugh            
Chuck Jordan      SpectreCollie      x
fuzzyslug         fuzzyslug          x
Vincent19         Mageical           x
jennywoo1229      jennywoo1229       xx
Justin Fletcher   Justin Fletcher    xx
davida            Iamagiantnerd      xx
Aesculapius       Aesculapius        xx
Vesper            Vesper6            xxx
Shellfishguy      shellfishguy       xxx
Mini-Cyn          Xenocide08         xxx
PeterGinsberg     Malphigian         xxx
Josemas           Josemas99          xxxx
ElGuapo           ElGuapoDC          xxxx
Giaddon           Giaddon            xxxx
Hans Lauring      Japrufrock         xxxxx
DeForrestation    DeForrestation     xxxxxx
Kyle700           kyle7000           xxxxxxx
Nixxter           NixxteR            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dannimal          mrdannimal         xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Syzygy            Circuitous Syzygy  
Linoleum          LinoleumCP
eznark            eznark
Equis             Valiumaddict
Mike O'Malley     qt3carnifex

You can challenge anyone in the list above you, as well as anyone within three spots below you. The top three players may challenge anyone in the list. Please do not challenge anyone you are already playing.

Please report your wins in boldface using Game Center nicknames.

FAQ

Q: Is it too late to join?
A: Nope! Send me a PM that includes your Game Center name if you’d like to join.

Q: Are we using the expansion?
A: Yes, but you can challenge someone using either the original deck, the expansion only, or the mixed deck. If you use the mixed deck, no need to announce the fact, but if you want to use the original or expansion only, it would be polite to say so.

Q: How are people ranked?
A: I’m only keeping track of how many games above or below .500 each player is. This means that someone who is 10-8 will be ranked the same as someone who is 7-5, even though the 7-5 player has a slightly better percentage.

Q: What is the horizontal line for?
A: The people below it have zero results so far. They can challenge anyone in the entire list.

Q: Can we play in 3 or 4 person games?
A: Sure thing! If you do, then here’s how the scoring works. For a 3-player game, the winner scores 2 while the two losers score -1. For a 4-player game, the winner scores 3, second place scores zero, third place scores -1, and last place scores -2.

Q: When does the league end?
A: Let’s suspend league play on January 30 at quarter-to-three in the night, and commence with a six-player playoff for league champion. Ties for the sixth spot will be broken by looking at the result of the most recent game(s) among the tied players. The playoff will be of the usual style: each of the six plays a game against the others, and the top two (by wins, with ties broken by point differential) play a best-of-three for the championship. You must have played at least 10 games to qualify for the playoffs.

The last day on which challenges that must be completed may be issued is January 25. After that date, challenges may be completed.

I’ll toss the first challenge out to Japrufrock, because that’s how these things roll!

I am challenging Prolix, who I think is the only person I am allowed to challenge who I am not also facing in the New Years league playoffs? I am not smart enough to track which game is playoffs vs. regular league.

Ha ha!
My iPad is recharging and I’m too lazy/hungover to go downstairs and play you… That’s how I roll in 2012.

I just sent a PM. I look forward to some learning experiences!

I challenge Guapo, krayzkrok, and Nixxter.

Challenges sent to: Ananab Tilps, MadOverlord, and Josemas99

I posted scoring rules for 3 and 4 player games in the FAQ:

Q: Can we play in 3 or 4 person games?
A: Sure thing! If you do, then here’s how the scoring works. For a 3-player game, the winner scores 2 while the two losers score -1. For a 4-player game, the winner scores 3, second place and third place score -1, and last place scores -2.

OK, then I challenge Ananab Tilps, Justin Fletcher, and MNGwinn to a 4 player match. Now it can’t be confused with our playoff game in the other league.

Bring it Fuzzy!

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear
Fuzzy wuzzy had no hair
Fuzzy wuzzy wuzznt fuzzy was he?

(um, me mum taught me that when I was a young cub)

Nixxter do you want our current game to count for the league? I wasn’t sure when it started if it was meant for practice or the new league.

Well I certainly can’t get worse than the last league, so challenges out to Fuzzyslug, unprolix and SelfMadeSinnick since you were the first three on the friends list for challenges!

Added this info to the FAQ:

Q: What is the horizontal line for?
A: The people below it have zero results so far. They can challenge anyone in the entire list.

So, right now, anyone can challenge anyone.

We celebrate the opening of the league in our usual way, with Ananab Tilps defeating Japrufrock. I’ve never had a more absurd final hand, Hans. Just insane! I admire you for watching it, as I would have long since left the game and started hitting my nuts with anything handy.

I think we had 15 constructs between us at the end of the game! Near the middle of the game, I had 4 out, and you passed on the monster that would have required me to keep one and discard the others. That surprised me, but I did kiss the screen where your name was.

That was because I was gearing up for the one that had you discard all or 4 cards from your hand, which I got next round.

I thought I was doing better, but even without that absurd last turn, I would probably have lost… if I’d only gotten that 1 point I needed to slay Samael.

Ooh gotcha.

But you have been officially served with a rematch!

[B]Qt3 name          GC name            o = win, x = loss (compared to .500)  [/B]

Dave Perkins      Ananab Tilps       o
Hans Lauring      Japrufrock         x

Sten Friberg      Congestion         
Boojum            MadOverlord        
Josemas           Josemas99          
Justin Fletcher   Justin Fletcher    
Chris Gwinn       MNGwinn            
prolix            unprolix           
Aesculapius       Aesculapius        
Chuck Jordan      SpectreCollie      
ElGuapo           ElGuapoDC          
Syzygy            Circuitous Syzygy