Ash vs. Evil Dead

It’s in the clip to which I posted a link.

I was surprised when I set my DVR and it told me the show was only 45 minutes, but 30??? Sheesh.

Stealth premier last night? That’s what my DVR is telling me. Did anyone happen to catch it?

I was going to sleep as it was coming on. It was a 12:20am showing or something. I decided to wait until tonight.

I watched it through the scene I had posted, just to confirm it’s legitimacy. Now I have to wait for the wife to have time since she wants to see it with me.

Watched it this morning and it was excellent. My recording had the show at 45 minutes not 30 though.

And that’s true of all showings this evening, according to the U-verse guide. Which does error every now and again. But this appears not to be.

Is this just a premiere thing? I assume so.

Yep, the premier is 45 minutes and future episodes are 30.

That was god damned wonderful.

Damn, at Rogers Canada only available for another $16/month and conflicts with HBO. Figures. Guess I’ll watch it on netflix or something someday.

If you have Xfinity in the states you can go ahead and watch the first episode now On Demand.

— Alan

We just watched it. I liked it for the most part, other than some of the heavy-handed slapstick (Oh, look. Ash dropped the light bulbs his boss told him not to drop. Har har.)

Maybe it’s selective memory, but I don’t remember the character being such a buffoon in the movies.

He kind of is in Army of Darkness, which is weird since the series kind of seems to ignore Army of Darkness (except for the shotgun part).

— Alan

Supposedly, for some reason Raimi doesn’t have the rights to use Army of Darkness in the new series.

All the rights for all the movies are spread across the universe. Campbell said it was a miracle the thing ever got as far as it did with all the lawyers involved.

I saw the show Saturday night and enjoyed it. There were little call outs to several of the movies within the show. Ash looks pretty old but they don’t try to hide it so I am okay with it.

I think the buffoon version of Ash is taken primarily from Army of Darkness. That’s when Raimi went full comedy. Since it’s one of my favorite films, I’m okay with that. I could watch Campbell blow away a deadite with a backwards facing, over the shoulder shotgun blast followed by a Bruce Lee cooldown move all day long.

I watched Ash vs. Evil Dead last night and really enjoyed it. Yeah, the slapstick was a bit much at times (the aforementioned light bulb scene…ugh), but the rest was poor Ash goodness. I especially loved the reveal for why the deadites are back.

He seemed buffoonish only as a “civilian” and once he decided to fight, he was ready to kick all kinds of deadite ass once more.

Yeah, same as in Army of Darkness. But even when in “hero mode”, he still relies on the cheesy (and wonderful) one liners and braggadocio…although in the case of the latter, he backs it up with his actions.

Oddly enough, that didn’t work for me at all. I can buy into the fact that Ash would use the Necronomicon to try to get laid, and be baked enough to read from it. I just didn’t buy that it would take him 30 years to do so.

What would have worked better would be Ash & Pablo hanging out in the trailer, and Pablo coming across the book and starting to read from it while Ash was rolling a joint. He stops him, but of course too late.

That might have been the first time in 30 years he was that high.