Asheron's Call 2 closing

http://wired.com/news/print/0,1294,69848,00.html

Though mainly about the sense of impending doom on AC2, and the accompanying existential, Fist-Of-The-Northstar-esque empty world it’s become, there’s also an interesting angle on game economies.

“The economy has also tanked … High-powered character accounts used to sell for as much as $500 … Without a sense of a future, capitalism ends. There’s no demand in a condemned world.”

“I gamely tried to level up my character by killing a few monsters. But I couldn’t get past the sense of existential emptiness. At one point, a non-player character assigned me a quest of killing all the burrowing beasts in a nearby canyon, to save her town. … Lady, the whole damn world is about to end!”

“many … have emigrated to World of Warcraft … a hallowed land of opportunity, where everyone can have fresh start.”

“A lot of folks have gone back to take screenshots of points of memory – places where ‘firsts’ took place, like the first time to solo a difficult mob, that kind of thing,” Ripley said. Maybe one day 30 years from now, they’ll pull them out of a virtual shoebox to show their grandkids. You can’t go home again.

The pressure on Turbine to push DDO out the door must be enormous…

Welcome to 4 months ago:

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21149&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ac2++asheron&start=0

That last sentimental comment about the shoe-box is a bit much. Your grand kids will be playing in virtual worlds with imagry so far beyond AC2 they will not be able to relate to it. It will be like showing them a stick drawing of some place and having the same sentiment.

Literally it’s kinda hokey. Conceptually though I don’t know. The (only) good memory I have from AC2 is after a day of doing very little for very little reason, I and a few friends headed back to a town. We then struck up an impromptu jam with our instruments and were slowly joined by about 5 other people. It was just really cool to sit there and collaboratively create something with other strangers. The music system was really neat.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t $15/month neat or anything. But it’s a good example of why I would love to see MMOs emerge from these narrow, combat-centric “samefests” at some point in time. Just not at the total expense of the core game (whatever it may be).

“Grandad, what were games like when you were a kid?”

“It was horrible, Johnny, horrible. You had to walk 5 miles in the snow to get to the nearest gaming cafe. And game cards were only 2 dollars back then!”

“2 dollars, wow!”

“Yep, you young’ns and your fancy holographerackery, back then we could actually see the polygons in our games! We had to use these things called ‘keyboards’ and a pointing device called a ‘mouse’. Computers were so large they were as tall as your desk!”

horrified

“Tell me about the polygons again, granddad!”

sighs

“Ok. Well you see Johnny, all objects were constructed from these pointed, angular faces… and for detail, they had to use these things called ‘textures’ – which were painted by hand!”

cries

“There there, Johnny, the polygons can’t hurt you anymore…”