Ashes Cricket 2009

So Tom gave this a little bit of a tease on Fidgit, which I suppose is as good a reason as any to make a little post about it; though I doubt it’ll set the world on fire, given that I think it’s fair to say that cricket probably isn’t the game of choice for most people on here! Still, I’m excited about it and so I’m going to plonk down a wall of text.

I picked this up on release for the PS3, as my friends and I have been Jonesing for a decent cricket game since Brian Lara '05 - everything released then has been pretty much disastrous. It seems the buying public agrees, since the game has surged to the top of the UK charts. The link says the marketing campaign has been aggressive, which is one word for it - feels like every site I’ve been to has had a big fucking pop-up for the game on it. It’s like the new Civ/Evony.

Reviews only get you so far with this sort of game; reviewers and a lot of the public don’t know enough about cricket and games together to really give you a decent judgement, from what I’ve read. I’ve been playing a bit and impressions are good. It’s generally solid in the core principles, which is what makes the niggles stand out all the more (but on to that later).

The batting has been improved with the addition of stance selection, the confidence has been rejigged, fielding is less finicky, and so on. The bowling mechanics themselves are good, with a moving reticule, timer, and the ability to disguise deliveries; the implementation is kind of wrong though. The game defines a good, stumps-hitting length as far too full. The pitches are too bouncy. The AI cannot play spin bowling. At all. I got figures of 10 for 9 off 3.2 overs with Muralitharan against Australia in a 50-overs game. The AI cannot pace itself at all in anything other than 20 over matches (where it’s generally excellent, until you get a decent Off-Spinner to bowl). Test Matches are usually over by tea on the first day, even on Hard.

It has a nice training section to get you used to the mechanics, and some fun achievements to unlock grounds. Not much other content apart from the basic game itself in all formats though - I miss the historic moments mode from BLC 05 that let you relive history from both sides, complete with oldey-timey grain filters on the 1880s matches!

There are a few other wrinkles that will likely be fixed in short order by modders and people with far more time on their hands than me using the in-game editor. The licensing is ropey; only Australia and England are official teams, and the likenesses are desperately poor. The graphics are decent from afar but the close-ups border on embarassing. More importantly, the stats are off for some key players, particularly bowlers. For example, in the England side, both Anderson and Broad bowl at a maximum pace of 80 mph - usually about 75mph. Needless to say, this makes them useless pie throwers. Collingwood, the best fielder in English cricket, has one of the lowest fielding stats in the side. Graeme Swann can bowl Doosras(!) and Michael Vaughan is bafflingly included in the Ashes squad, despite having retired nearly 2 months before the game was released. The other, unlicensed squads have similarly weird stuff going on, with a lot of key players left out.

For all that though, it feels just about right. It feels like cricket, and it has the same air of unpredictability. The physics are good. It scratches an itch my friends and I have been having for ages, and all the shit AI in the world becomes a non-issue in local multiplayer.

Whew! Tl;dr - 7/10 on the 3-9 scale. BLC 05 was 6.5, bearing in mind my rose-tinted glasses. Every other cricket game of the last four years has been a 4/10 at best.

Oh, and needless to say, the Wii version is shit.

The demo was pretty good, but none of these games have stood up to scrutiny of the AI. Sooner or later you work out how to absolutely dominate on the highest difficulty and that’s it.

Agreed about the speed of the bowlers - they have no idea how to simulate swing bowler either. I hope the multiplayer is good…

Entered the UK videogame charts at No. 1 this week knocking Wii Sports Resort down to No. 2.

I’ll definitely have to get my hands on this game relatively soon. I’ve been wanting to play a decent Cricket game forever now.

A question: Does the game allow you to play matches in the 20-20 format?

It certainly does. In fact, it’s probably the most satisfying way to play, given that it’s the form the AI is best at playing, and if you play a test match against a real person, it will literally take nearly as long as a real one. The fact that the batting is slightly easy also doesn’t matter as much, as you expect silly run rates in 20-20. It’s what my friends and I usually play.

Bear in mind only England and Australia are licensed - I have found a fairly decent roster update here. It sorts out the names, corrects the equipment for major players and sorts out the squads. Without it, the West Indies don’t have Dwayne Bravo (as in, probably the best all-rounder they’ve had in nearly a decade and fixture in the side) and Darren Sammy, and Pakistan get Dinesh Karthik, Abdul Razzaq and Mohammed Yousuf - why they all got left out was beyond me. It doesn’t fix the stats yet as far as I can tell, which is a bit of a shame - a lot of great bowlers are terrible in the game because of the speed issue for Fast-Mediums, or weirdly poor stats. Ajantha Mendis has a lower spin stat than Sachin Tendulkar, and can’t bowl Doosras because his skill is too low even though they’re his stock delivery in real life! It’s a bit like getting an NFL game that is a pretty good representation of the sport mechanically, but where Peyton Manning is called Peeton Mingmong and his arm tops out at 50 yards. Still, it’s fixable.

I played the demo and thought it was good but impossibly hard. I guess it’s one of them where you have to work out the best techniques by playing a lot.

The player likenesses were pretty spot-on I thought!

Why is the Wii version shit? I would totally be down for a decent Wii cricket game.

It’s all about the timing really - once you get your eye in, you’ll be clonking the ball around like nobody’s business. If you have a decent knowledge of cricket to sort out your shot selection the timing windows are pretty generous, even for balls in the yellow perfect zone. Particularly as the computer absolutely loves bowling ugly 75 mph full tosses at you aimed at middle stump with 4 slips and a gully in, giving you free reign to cream them pretty much all over the pitch with disdainful ease.

The player likenesses are pretty terrible in my view, particularly Flintoff, but eye of the beholder and all that.

If I sound hard on it, it’s because the AI isn’t up to playing the (pretty decent) representation of the sport they’ve made. In multiplayer, it really is excellent.

The wii version is like a different game. It has a ludicrous ball-polishing sub-game, the batting is swipe the wii-mote for canned animation rubbishess, the graphics are terrible, and so on and so on.

That forum link you gave for the roster updates also has some nifty editing going on for bowling speed increases, which is nice.

I guess I’ve been playing too much Winning Eleven! From the demo, the Ashes players all at least look like reasonable caricatures, but then you said that only two teams are licensed so maybe that explains the detail.

Ball-polishing minigame in Wii version sounds amazing.

http://www.planetcricket.net/forums/ashes-cricket-2009-downloads-forum/correct-names-patch-57280.html

Link to the PC version of the update.

It does need tweaking and transmission have said they are working on a patch. Hopefully that along with some modding will fix the issues there are.

lol wut?

/American

When a bowler throws the ball towards the batsman, unlike baseball, the ball is generally bounced once on the ground before it gets to the batsman. The object of the bowler is to try to hit the wicket behind the batsmen (the three stumps connected by a little thing at the top). However, you can just throw the ball straight at the stumps, and that’s called full toss.

As for slips and gullies, they are just the position you put the men on the field, trying to position them so that you’re more likely to prevent runs or to catch the ball (just like in baseball, if you can catch it off the bat before it bounces, the batsman is out).

So what Hunty was saying is that the AI bowler loves throwing balls straight at you without bouncing, which are easy to hit towards the boundaries for high scoring because the fielders are in the wrong positions to prevent it from happening.

I have half a mind to try to import this at some point. I barely remeber the rules anymore, but we used to play a decent amount of pick-up Cricket back in high school. I remeber it being a super fun game.

All of this.

Now I know exactly what Mr. Rock is doing here, but for clarity you can’t throw the ball at the stumps when bowling (pitching, if you like). It’s a different action, and throwing is not allowed. No offence intended, I just thought I should clarify it.

it’s sad, but the two best cricket games on the market (at least to this Yank), are both cricket sims, International Cricket Captain 2009, and Cricket Coach 2009.

They are both team management sims (kinda like Football Manager), but really fun!

Ok, so now you need to clarify your clarification. How, exactly do throwing and bowling differ? I get that the ball is supposed to bounce at the stumps when bowling. What’s a “throw” then?

lol, we are entering dodgy ground here, there is a lot of argument over what is the correct action for a ball bowled versus a ball chucked. It has do do with the angle of the arm and the wrist but i’m not 100% sure of what they are exactly.

I’m really not trying to be an ass here. I want to understand Cricket, it’s just so bloody strange.

In simple terms, bowling would be similar to the old school grenade toss you’ve seen - straight arm, through an arc and then a follow through (we don’t need to go into the debate on what constitutes a straight arm in this discussion!), vs a baseball pitch which would be a throw. I think I got that right anyway!

Ok, here’s what I can tell you Icehole (speaking as an American)

There’s two batsmen out on the field at the same time (one at either end). The bowler will come from one end, and bowl an over (6 balls=one over).

The bowler pitches the ball at the stumps (three poles stuck in the ground)… in general, you cannot bend your elbow while bowling the ball). Generally, the ball bounces once before getting to the batsmen. Generally, there’s two types of bowlers, seam bowlers, who try to beat the batsmen with speed, and spin bowlers, who can make the ball do crazy things when the ball hits the ground.

The batter (the batsmen) try to protect his stumps, and hit the ball. Unlike baseball, the whole ground is fair, and you don’t have to run if you don’t want to. Each time the two batsmen cross (ie, they switch ends), one run is scored. if a ball is hit over the boundary of the playing field after bouncing (Like a ground rule double in baseball), it is an automatic four runs. If it flies over the boundary in the air (without bouncing), it’s an automatic six runs

a Batter can get out a variety of ways, the most common are:

BOWLED: The bowler strikes the stumps with the ball, dislodging the bits of wood (called bails).

CAUGHT: The batsman hits the ball in the air, and it is caught by a fielder

LBW: (Leg Before Wicket): A bowled ball strikes the batter on the legs (NOT the bat), and the umpire judges it would have gone on to hit the stumps

RUN OUT: Kinda like a force play in baseball, if the ball hits the stumps while the batsman is outside the safe zone.