Ashes of the Singularity: New RTS from Stardock and Oxide Games

Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Free Juggernaut DLC and v2.5 update now available! The free juggernaut DLC contains massive new warships and the v2.5 update makes improvements to modding, gameplay, and more!

See the overview video here:

More info and full changelog here.

Ooo, nice, I’m going to fire this up this weekend.

There’s a community comp stomp happening tomorrow which they’ll be playing with the v2.5 update.

https://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/484953/Event-Comp-Stomp-16th-September

I’ve been taking stabs at this over the last few weeks, and quite like it. I prefer single player so I’m doing the first campaign - made it to the last planet… but does anybody have tips for single player? Kind of getting trounced, now. I’m still learning units and stuff and what techniques work.

The combat units kind of seem useless for defense - building the fixed gun things with the engineers seems to work way better than keeping any forces in reserve. Is that the right approach?

I’m also thinking I need to use the game speed slow-down option, now - I’m not keeping up with the computer, anymore. I got too much to build!

We’re going to have an Escalation stream around 8pm ET with the designer on the Steam stream.

Stardock VP Derek Paxton will talk about modding around 5:30pm on the stream.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/stardock

And it’s on sale! :)

September dev journal is out and show off some concept art for the upcoming Air Transports. :)

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/485213/ASHES-DEV-JOURNAL-September-2017

The good and the bad!

Naval? Ooooh.

This is a trend that I’ve been seeing across the updates that I’m really not a fan of. I constantly see notes along the lines of “PHC can do X but Substrate can’t, so Substrate can do X” or “Substrate isn’t good at Y but PHC is great at Y, so Substrate are better at Y”.

I hate it. There’s only two factions as it is, conceptually I feel like factions should have more “unfair” advantages in certain areas, balanced by “unfair” weaknesses in other. The two factions have always felt way, way, too similar at first blush as it is. They lack the distinction of even something like GDI vs Nod from 20+ years ago. I feel like the Ashes take on that would be to complain that GDI doesn’t have stealth units and Nod doesn’t have anything to stand up to a Mammoth, so they each get their own to bring them to parity.

It’s all dreadfully boring, which is a far worse problem than having balance issues, IMO. I’m sure it’s applauded by the tiny competitive community, but it’s a yawn for someone like me.

Steam has Ashes: Escalation on sale for the next two days for both the base game (66% off) and Gold bundle. :)

If you ever wondered, I’d like to see a RTS that follows the concept of Clash Royale, where you deploy troops, but don’t have complete control over them, it leads to a very different game that’s both fun and not as stressfull in one go.

But i’d like to see it on a much larger scale with more advanced options…

Majesty did this once, but they just didn’t do it well enough.

The v2.6 update for Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is now available. This update includes updated tutorials, quality of life changes, UI improvements, and more!

Details and changelog here: https://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/485270

Overview video:

Have this in my backlog. May give it a go this weekend! Woop woop!

That was the idea behind Kohan. That’s the game that ruined all other RTS’s for me with how good it was.

Just installed. Updated drivers. Ran benchmark with Vulcan. “Visually stunning.”

I finished the first campaign last month; good times, looking forward to playing some more.

I almost skipped this game because I broke the (original) tutorial somehow. Something that bugs me a lot - I’m looking at you Crusader Kings 2 - so glad to see them getting some care.

This is why we need likes. Kohan 3 please, stat.

Timegate is dead, and I don’t think anyone owns the IP.

Yeah, it’s not likely to happen, but something similar may, someday. I prefer to be a general to a master mouseclicker.

We have the December dev journal up and talks a bit about the upcoming DLC.

See what’s new in the v2.65 of Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation! Scenarios, maps, and other quality of life aspects of the game have been adjusted.

More info and changelog here: https://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/486450/

Been having some fun with the game today, now that I finally have a working mousewheel (Something almost required to play the game…) and the game runs fine with Vulkan… until it doesn’t.

I’m playing King of the hill, and the game ran fine for a while, then suddenly it slows to a crawl, like 1 fps or something. if I pause the game, It runs fine again. I.e. I can move around the map, zoom in out, give orders and whatnot.

Paused its at 50-75% CPU/5GB, Unpaused its at 30% cpu/5GB RAM.

If I save the game and restart, it runs fine for 2-3 seconds, then slows to a crawl again.

Gonna try DX11 mode now.
Same problem.

Any ideas what it could be?
(Could be cause the enemy has a … LOT of units… )
Will find out, as I Kill them, if that was the cause :P
IF… I kill them

Found out the issue, there was a huge cluster of enemy airplanes circling around over their base, as soon as I took them out, the “lag” in the game was sorted.