Assassin's Creed 2

How many flags will we be collectin’ this time around?

Are you involved with the project, Charles?

Very excited for this. Hopefully this time around they’ve had more time to fill out the content and mechanics.

Dear Ubisoft,
In AC2, please include a survival mode where I am just running from guards until I cannot run any longer. And in this mode make the guards at least twice as good. Thanks!

I look forward to seeing Assassin’s Creed 2 mentioned in reply to every post Charles writes for several months.

I’m concerned about this news. Charles is responsible for a lot of pain and trauma in many lives due to being solely responsible for Assassin’s Creed and from a purely public health point of view I’m not sure the world is ready for this.

Personally speaking I have a major bone to pick with Charles; see, I was in the middle of watching a friend of mine play AC when I got a phone call from a girl I was working with. There was some serious flirtation, one thing lead to another and we ended up sleeping together within the week. Shortly after that she realised I wasn’t the one and got back with her supposedly ex-boyfriend. They’re now engaged and about to live happily ever after.

This is all Charles’ fault. If he hadn’t invented AC then I would never have been watching the game to receive that phone call. Admittedly, I would never have got to sleep with her but I feel that’s a small bonus for the insufferable agony she put my heart through. So in all seriousness I hope this game never gets made, hearts don’t get broken, people don’t have to cry themselves to sleep at night, the world is a better place and Charles gets cancer. Of the ass.

C.

PS - The second gunman on the grassy knoll was probably Charles.

Yeah, for realz!

I actually really liked AC 1. Hell, I even liked the conceit of some modern-day (near-future?) guy kept against his will and made to “live in the memories” of his ancestor assassin and stuff. Of course it makes no real sense, but it worked because they treated it seriously and dove in head-first. It also made a good setup for the girl helping you out, finding out a bit more about your captors…just enough to generate a thread they can tie the series together with. And inevitably disappoint us all with whatever game concludes it all. ;)

But the flags. Dear GOD the flags! I love the idea of collectibles to unlock other pieces of game and story and stuff. And I really like the idea of having to climb to a tricky spot or drop from a hidden ledge into a dark alley to find a flag. But you just had no idea where they were! At least Crackdown had a sort of sonar “ping” for those agility orbs, so you knew when you were close.

I ended up cheating and downloading a map of the flag locations, which I printed out and checked off the ones as I found them, and I still couldn’t find all the flags. Yeesh!

So Charles, if you’re listening, and if you’re involved… treasure hunt: okay. Meaningful treasure hunt that adds “how do I get there from here” gameplay: great! But the thing about a treasure hunt is…usually they give you clues, y’know? Throw us a bone in AC2. :)

This would be neat. Too often in the first game it was a LOT more time-efficient to just slaughter a gaggle of guards that didn’t like you climbing a wall than to do the whole run-n-hide thing. I liked the chase element, but in most cases it felt entirely unnecessary.

Also, having finished the game relatively recently, I would argue that AC is still one of the top ‘showpiece’ games for the current generation. Easilly still up there with the likes of RE5 and Killzone in terms of visual awe.

I sorta remember Charles stating at some point that the flags were a total afterthought as development winded down. I always wondered what PC and PS3 users got out of collecting them without achievements attached though. Almost every popular complaint AC received seemed to have some apologetic explanation from Charles actually.

But yes, AC is one of the finest experiences I have played. The foundation is incredibly strong in the first game, and hopefully this time around the content can equally match.

Fight Team Lead / Fight Designer / Fight Programmer.

So yeah, a little.

Yeah. We put those in after our first submission to Sony/MS.

If the ending of the last game is any indication, too late.

But still, looking forward to seeing more of this. I’m in the “better tech demo than game” camp for the first one, but it had so much potential that I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Damnit, the fighting was fine in the first one. Get them to make you Making Something More Interesting To Do Than Collect Flags Lead!

Looking forward to more stealth blade-only pwnage. Though I suppose I’ll give the other weapons a bit of a try.

The flags never bothered me, I employed the simple solution of just not collecting them.

Really looking forward to AC2 actually, I enjoyed the hell out of the first game.

What’s more interesting than killing people in the most brutal ways possible?

Stealthing past them? Hopefully there will be more opportunities! It’d be nice if we could take a route less traveled, perhaps only using the stealth blade on the main primary targets the entire game?

This is a trick question, isn’t it?

Having a reason to do it.

Charles knows how to handle his business.