Assassin's Creed 3

I think Assassin’s Creed 3 has some of the worst first 5 hours in any game ever made actually. It stays bad in much of Sequence 3, during the chase in lexington.

I didn’t mind the initial assassination tutorial and then the sea trip; at that point it almost seemed like a story was about to happen. The subsequent early sequences in America are pretty bad, though, until you finally get a chance to mess around on your own.

This right here is where I am at. The story missions were dreadful for me. I actually connected with and cared about the useless homestead missions over the main missions. Main missions became the evil I had to do in order to unlock more map/homestead stuff. It is a shame that all that crafting and building, and upgrading doesn’t mean a lick of squat to finishing the game, because it seems like an awful lot of effort went into it. As for the assassin’s bit, with all the added little bits of wood, boxes, and what not laying about on the streets of America, Connor often picked the least useful thing to latch on to when trotting around town.
“Connor, not the fence, the woman’s head, or the lamppost… just jump on the damn ladder in front of you! GAH!”

On the bright side, someone should take the ship to ship combat team, and hook them up with Sid Meier and make a new pirates! 2.0. That was the most enjoyable part of the whole game for me. Ship to ship, and homestead missions, with actual useful trade… and cut out all the frustrating Assassin bits and you have a good game.

Are there even random ship missions? I understood too late that the “reward” for completing the scripted ship missions probably means that the “risk” of actually getting to use my upgraded ship in a convoy defense approaches zero.

Is there any easy way to check what year it is in game between big cutscenes? I keep wanting to go and check out things in the Database that are popping up “Building X was destroyed in 1790”.

So I picked this up and have more or less finished the prologue bit (just unlocked the first homestead mission). I’m curious if there’s anything I should know, a la Nezz’s post, if there’s anything I should do to maximise the time and enjoyment of the naval bits, since everyone seems to agree those are great?

Is there general agreement about the terrible framerate issues for the ps3 version of the game? Does it vary between the disc vs digital versions? I’m tempted by the PSN bundle with the Vita’s Liberation, but I can just wait for the PC version to drop if the console one makes for a less than enjoyable technical experience

“We found another power source. Some big shot’s trophy wife is wearing it as a bracelet."

WTF? The thing is bigger than a brick.

When people say things in this game, it’s best to just ignore them.

I was expecting it to look different, but no, Desmond picks it up and it’s freakin’ massive.

Maybe it was a mistake and they meant to say, “some big shotputter is wearing it as a bracelet”.

Found this cheap and agree with this thread - stellar setting, very hit and miss when it comes to interacting with that setting.

Am I missing something about the Frontier map? Even when uncovered it’s all indsitinct shades of blue.

There’s not much detail, just towns and things.

On Sequence 10 now. There’s a stellar game in here… but this isn’t it :(

Jesus Christ. I’m chasing Charles Lee for the 20th time. This is just shit. The game devolves into an incoherent mess.

Sadly, yes.

I think the franchise has jumped the shark, unfortunately, and I fail to see, with the fast iterations it seems to have gotten, how it can ever get back on track.

I’d love to be wrong, since some of my most interesting moments gaming on the consoles have been with Assassins Creed, but the last two games I’ve given completely up on before getting very far into them.

I used to be a hardcore AC(still have al CE editions until AC:R) fan but I haven’t bothered with this one. I didn’t like the last few games and from what I’ve seen until now I won’t like this one either.

The first AC is, in my opinion, still the best. It was repetitive, yes, but it had a brilliant storyline, a beautiful settings and it was actually new for its time. It has been downhill since then. I can’t think of anything new in the last games that has made me go “wow!”. This wouldn’t be so bad if it made up for it in other areas but the storyline has become a clusterfuck and the gameplay a repetitive grind in the form of minigames. And then there are those Desmond parts.

Multiplayer was a nice addition that I played for a short while but I can’t imagine someone buying AC for the multiplayer.

III is strange because there’s all this content that just seems unnecessary. NY and Boston might as well not have existed for all the role they played in my story. Likewise hunting, convoys, shops, tunnels crafting and liberation. When the core content is mediocre missions and combat which is Press X! No, B, then X! the missing sidegame takes a real toll.

The brilliant setting was squandered, both due to plot incoherence, set piece missions where soldiers do stuff in the background and the struggle to work in the Templar story, let alone the alien one.

Hopefully the next one will have a quarter of the content, designed by the people who know what they’re doing… and be called Pirate’s Creed.

It’s a pity as there’s more than enough spare parts in AC3 to build a great game with. The tree climbing and ship stuff is quite good, for example. But those systems just don’t seem to have much to do with the main game.

I got this for free with an Nvidia card, and I just couldn’t push myself past the first couple of hours. Probably didn’t help that I couldn’t push myself much farther past the first tower defence mission in Revelations. AC is just tired now – Ubi has wrung as many mechanics as it could from this game and AC is all about the frosting and not the cake now.