Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

There’s still the rope dart to unlock, and it makes no sense why that exists. I don’t imagine it will add all that much to the game though.

Unfortunately, it comes far too late in the game. I don’t know what they were thinking. “Hey, we know the game is almost over, but here’s this thing you can use on the last two levels”.

-Tom

Glad to have some company in this opinion. In the first game it was cool, and your robes were similar enough to the local population that it was semi-believable that they’d help you blend in. Every game after that they’ve decided that the hood/robes thing was so successful the first time around, that it was needed to define the character or some horseshit, resulting in you looking increasingly out of place. The red white and blue version in AC3 was absolutely atrocious, and you had to wear something similar in this for the first bit, but I was super happy when I saw I could change it out for something completely different and did so ASAP (Shark hunter outfit!). Unfortunately, this has resulted in a couple problems with the game script with people telling me I haven’t “earned that uniform I’m wearing yet”. Err. I ditched your crappy uniform, so don’t lecture me. That and the animation for pulling the hood up (without an actual hood, nothing happens) still triggers when going on a stealth mission. Minor details, though- I’ll take what I can get.

The sailing is a big selling point, just haven’t found any other activities on the water I’d enjoy ten-plus hours of. Haven’t tried diving yet. The on-land stuff is solid, it just feels like Assassin’s Creed in the Caribbean. I like the new moves like shoulder-slamming and how much quicker foes can be dispatched, but all the missions and side quests have to compete with everything I’ve already done in past games. Like, jumping onto a horse from the roof top, shiving the rider, catching up with another rider, shiving him, then doing a leap from the saddle back onto the rooftops.

And Kenway won’t get instant aggro when he visits Florida. Ba-dum-tish.

Doesn’t sound too useful(I imagine they make sure you fight the legendary ships in rough seas), but it’s something I gotta try just once. I love subverting game mechanics like that, and it’s an awesome consequence of a fully 3d world, unlike random encounter-esque battles from Pirates!.

Yeah, I totally earned those clothes after killing a few sharks!

If you are going up against big ships (like frigates), position your ship near your target and then swim to the ship to take the crew out in close quarters combat. When you’ve done that, swim back to the Jackdaw and then hit each ship with one broadside. You immediately win the boarding sequence that follows, without having to go into heavy fighting.

I’ve been on top of the ship-upgrade curve to the extent that (legendary ships aside) the ship-to-ship combat is much, much easier than the boarding combat.

I skipped every AC game until this one!

I’m having a good time but I can’t understand why they created the entire Animus modern day blah blah conceit. You don’t need a crappy sci fi plot device to create a series of games about historical assassins.

Regardless I’m enjoying the sandbox gameplay quite a lot. Combat is a bit unsatisfying after playing the Batman titles, seems quite clunky.

I’ve got a great PC and at 2560x1600 it looks good, but not as good as BF4 or earlier Crysis games.

I can’t understand why they created the entire Animus modern day blah blah conceit.

You and every other gamer.

The solution is smoke bombs. Smoke bombs are AC4’s win button.

The solution is smoke bombs. Smoke bombs are AC4’s win button.

True. Having said that, the boarding combat isn’t especially hard, but occasionally if I’m being reckless and impatient I’ll find myself down to almost no health and have to run up the masts or something. Whereas for the ship to ship stuff I can take on two men o’war and several smaller ships on at once without much danger.

R1 while you are in an island brings up the checklist.

I think the biggest issue with this game is - where do they go from here? This kind of ship to ship stuff has a pretty small window time wise. I guess they could do another game or two with this character (ala Ezio) but not sure what they’ll for the next time shift.

All I know is I’m missing the game while out of town for thanksgiving. Sigh.

I guess they could do another game or two with this character (ala Ezio) but not sure what they’ll for the next time shift.

Have a look in the Animus database - they actually talk through the options in an Abstergo internal memo.

Assassins in space (ie mass effect 4). Replace the sailboat with a spaceship and add some form of energy to the melee weapons. Done.

They should make a Sinbad game.

Ok question for the QA team…

Why did nobody speak up and say that the pursuit/easedropping minigames suck? If someone had the guts to do what was right here, maybe half of the ground segments wouldn’t be full of this shit!

To make matters worse, i broke a quest by killing my target before identifying him. Even though i got the cutscene of the mission ending, the game was stuck on that quest objective. Thankfully i was able to leave the city and reset the mission without tanking my save, but now i need to do the entire mission, including the shitty following sequence, again.

Man these legendary ships are bastards.

I have all of the upgrades except the elite ones (no plans yet).

I am fighting the one that is invulnerable unless you shoot it in the back. The thing constantly spams Super Mortars, even on top of itself if you’re near. It goes probably 30% faster than you if it wants to.

The vulnerable area is very small too. i’ve shot it in the back and had it do no damage because i wasn’t in the exact area.

What it often likes to do is speed off at super speed and then when i give chase, it starts constantly mortaring the area behind it so i have a high chance of taking damage when chasing.

I almost got it though. I was one shot from killing it last time when i died.

I HATE how enemies aren’t affected by smoke. I miss TONS of shots because i can’t see shit when there is smoke covering my ship from all of the cannon fire, but of course the enemy has no such problem.

Man these legendary ships are bastards.

I have all of the upgrades except the elite ones (no plans yet).

I am fighting the one that is invulnerable unless you shoot it in the back. The thing constantly spams Super Mortars, even on top of itself if you’re near. It goes probably 30% faster than you if it wants to.

The vulnerable area is very small too. i’ve shot it in the back and had it do no damage because i wasn’t in the exact area.

What it often likes to do is speed off at super speed and then when i give chase, it starts constantly mortaring the area behind it so i have a high chance of taking damage when chasing.

I almost got it though. I was one shot from killing it last time when i died.

I HATE how enemies aren’t affected by smoke. I miss TONS of shots because i can’t see shit when there is smoke covering my ship from all of the cannon fire, but of course the enemy has no such problem.

I also don’t agree that boarding actions are too easy. Yes, it is true that you can trivialize battles with smoke bombs, but they are limited. I still have the 10 max pouch and i think the max it goes up to is maybe 20. You can blow 3-4 on a single man of war pretty easily. One of them only allows you to kill 3-4 enemies in my experience. Other than that, you have fun stuff like attacks from out of the camera (so you don’t know to block them), stupid crew, a suicidal player character who makes climbing to the enemy flag always interesting and generally fighting outnumbered.

I always cringe whenever i have to kill scouts or the flag. One time when i was killing a scout, my character basically ran off the platform during a finishing animation. Luckily i managed to slide on to the side in an almost glitch (one i was very happy of because i would have been very sad to my new man of war) but otherwise i would have instant died from the fall.

Ran into one issue recently on PS4. The “Kenway’s Fleet” server breaks if you have more than 100 PSN friends. Works from the iPad but then no PS4 friends are available to play with. Ubi’s only solution was to delete friends.

I have a bunch of gold in the fleet mode and several ships waiting to transfer out of game. Going to put the game on hold for a bit.

Boo. Have a mission to out hunt someone that ends in having to fight a jaguar and kill it. The jaguar spawns in the side of a mountain and is not attackable.

Thought i would have to restart the whole quest, but looks like reloading the last checkpoint gave me a working quest state. I advise trying this if you run in to serious quest problems.

I think i am almost done. I have a lot of money. All of the upgrades short of elite. Have conquered all but a couple forts.

My main quest progress is not that far though.

Now i have to decide whether i want to finish the assassin quests and work on getting the elite gear. I haven’t done much treasure hunting, but i have a bunch of maps (since i have the forts i can see everything).

The pistol swords sound kind of cool, but i heard they are just reskinned normal swords, not something special. I’ve been pretty disappointed with the weapons in this game. There are basically 3 swords and 3 pistols. The starter one, a middle upgrade and the best. There is no choice and not much of any progression.

Luckily the ship upgrading has been pretty fun.

I will say that it was a mistake for them to allow you to buy hunting goods from vendors. mid to late game you have so much money (helped on by your fleet) that you can just buy the crafting materials instead of hunting for them.