Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

There was a separate thread on it…but regarding the Kenway’s Fleet game…how exactly do you help your friends? I have 10 Uplay friends now (yay!) but I don’t see any reference to them at all either within the Fleet game played in the Captain’s Cabin, or using the companion app on my ipad.

edit: Also, about every third or fourth time I start to play the game…my settings have been reset. So I have to go in and increase sensitivities, invert axis, etc. Anyone know what is up with that?

So apparently I have a submarine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVsuaF7AZI&feature=youtu.be

Yeah…they missed the boat (ha!) with the diving bell. I was really looking forward to unlocking it as soon as I saw it in the upgrade list. But after using it, ugh. Do not want.

Honestly, I’d be happier if they stopped trying to shoehorn the gameplay and mythology into settings it has no place in. So if they did the Joan of Arc game, make it be about that, instead of assassins, templars, and stabbing people in the neck in that time period. That’s part of why, even though it is modern day/near future, Watch Dogs looks interesting. Rumor has it it started life as a modern day AC game, and grew into more than that, and you can see it (in the stupid hoodie, natch), but it looks like they were brave enough to leave behind the crap that didn’t fit. I’d like to see them do that with more history stuff- keep the modern day meta-story of being in a virtual simulation exploring DNA memory or whatever pseudoscientific hogwash, and just have a rollicking historical adventure.

I’ve been playing the game via watching others play on youtube, so is it hard to swim? Most of the time the diving bell area’s I’ve seen, make it seem like the swimming is very awkward to control.

I loved the underwater sections. The fear of drowning, the threats from all sides… A nice, anxious experience. Check out Asphyx.

Unfortunately, your opinion cannot be trusted when it comes to the AC series. You liked AC3 for crying out loud!

;-)

Well if you want to hear crazy, how about this: I think I liked AC3 more than AC4.

I don’t have the game (PS4 is impossible to get in Denmark) yet, but that strikes me as quite off putting. Whiny brat Connor (Because of his Spanish ancestry??!) was more interesting than this?

But that’s not what I said. I’m saying I liked AC3 more than AC4, looking at both as total packages.

You like stabbing beavers more than commanding a pirate ship???

I’m with you, Pogue. I really like Assassin’s Creed 4, but I think I ultimately prefer Assassin’s Creed 3.

-Tom

I understand you think I made a connection you didn’t mention, but what I meant was that I can’t get past whiny Connor to enjoy the game that AC3 is.

Probably a good thing I held off on this then, if AC3 is the better game overall, as I didn’t enjoy it very much.

You want crazy?! How about this: Connor is, by far, the best Assassin’s Creed protagonist.

Haha, now you are just messing with my head :-D

Don’t worry Razgon, from what I heard on the internets (several of them!), it’s a popular opinion to consider AC3 as one of the worst of the series, together with AC1.

I haven’t played Assassin’s Creed 3 or 4 yet, but I just wanted to chime in and agree that one of the reasons I love the series is that it’s a simulation within the Matrix. That part really tingles the right neurons in my brain and makes it feel Right. On the other hand, the Assassins versus Templar story or the Precursor story I don’t really care about. As long as I got to be in the Animus in a historic setting, I’d be fine with any setting they come up with.

One thing that I also miss from the first Assassin’s Creed is how tight that game was. It was 9 assassinations. And with each of those assassinations you played for about one hour each. And that hour was so tightly designed for maximum fun: explore a new area every time (each assassination attempt took place in an otherwise unexplored area of the map), find the eagle lookout spots to expose the map, do two or three of the missions in the area (choose between eavesdropping or parkour flag collection, etc) and then on to the assassination. There. All done within one hour of play.

With the sequels they started adding sooooo much more to do in each new area. That’s not necessarily bad, you get a lot more hours of enjoyment out of a game where they spent so long creating this beautiful world, but I really miss how concise and to the point the original was, and how you were constantly exploring new areas you’d never seen before after each hour of play in the old area.

Sea Shantie fans rejoice!

Awesome. I love the sea shanties. Makes sailing around even more of an immersive experience.

Wendelius

That’s an interesting contrast to the intention of the original creator, who seems to think the purity of AC1 consists in its lack of concision.

That’s such a low bar to clear that I can’t imagine anyone would disagree. :)

And I completely agree, even if just for the set-up and potential of Connor as a character. Kenway’s certainly no comparison. He’s actually a whiny d-bag, in my opinion.

-Tom