Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

Did you guys know you can change the sea shanties while you’re sailing, like the radio stations in a GTA car? The default on the PC is the 3 key.

-Tom

Connor: I’m on a quest for vengeance against those that murdered my people. How about you?

Kenway: Uh… I couldn’t handle settling down with a hot Welsh chick.

Connor: Cool story Bro.

Tom M

Best AC fanfic ever!

-Tom

Finished the game today (before losing everything (I’m told) in order to fix an issue with transferring all my Ubisoft games from an old e-mail address to my current one).

Overall, I thought this was the second best game after AC:B. The at-sea stuff was mostly well done (didn’t like the diving bell stuff as much - I can’t take a freaking knife with me to fend off sharks? And those FUCKING eels). The storyline was decent and even the ‘current’ stuff was OK - and I didn’t actually see the twist at the end coming (although I’m fairly dense). As for all the forced stealth - it was too much. Too much tailing and evesdropping and insta-fail stealth. Once in a while is fine - but it felt like 75% of the missions involved something w/ forced stealth. Optional stealth - like, say, with the warehouse missions - is awesome. Forced insta-fail stealth isn’t. BUT - it didn’t bother me as much as the badly written chase stuff in AC3 was, when Connor felt like running up every single board, fence post, clotheline, and tall blade of grass w/in 10 feet instead of actually chasing the target. Very much looking forward to playing it again (should my e-mail crap ever get fixed).

You know, I dreaded doing the diving bell missions too, but each and every time those missions probably got the biggest emotional response from me each time. The tension of the timer, plus the sharks, plus hidden eels was very effective.

Hmm, discovered a Kenway’s Fleet issue tonight. When you happen to have a newly captured ship to deal with but not enough docks while also having returned ships that are still pending review, there’s a strict order of operations that doesn’t allow you to deal with the returning ships before dealing with the new ship. So if you’ve acquired a new man-of-war or frigate or brig and want to replace a schooner with it, but all the schooners are freshly returned from missions and haven’t reported in yet, you end up having to either ditch the new ship or put it into the place of another ship that wasn’t just out on a mission. It would be much better to be able to defer that decision, let your other ships all report in, and then make the swap.

One of these days I’m going to have a try to AC:B, it seems a popular opinion to consider it one of the best aC.

Yes, anyone who has played a few hours after getting access to the fleet stuff probably has dealt with this as well.

Just one of the many flaws with the fleet mini game.

The Kenway’s Fleet stuff has its share of clunkiness, but ask yourself this question: Would you rather go back to the trading/crafting in Assassin’s Creed 3? I didn’t think so. Now get your butts in there and speed up my ships.

-Tom

The Kenway’s Fleet stuff has its share of clunkiness, but ask yourself this question: Would you rather go back to the trading/crafting in Assassin’s Creed 3?

Kind of, yeah. Unless I’m missing something, the resources used in the fleet subgame are exclusively used for that, which makes it all feel a bit meaningless once money ceases to be an issue. At least the crafting system in AC3 had some impact on other systems, for instance increasing your fleet size or giving you new gear. The crafting interface was terrible, and it wasn’t a whole lot of use, but I don’t really understand what the fleet system is doing in AC4 at all.

It’s just a simple money fountain. Purely optional, mildly flavored busywork, with a touch of interaction with other parts of the game. The AC games have never been very good about integrating their various systems, so I’ll gladly take the busywork of Kenway’s fleet over the godawful interface atrocities – atrocities, I say! – of trading in AC3. And I did a whole mess of trading. I really wanted to like it, but if I’m going to do an optional activity, it really shouldn’t be as much of a pain in the ass as that trading.

-Tom

Anyone else experience the courier bug where he paces back and forth, complaining about Kenway, but won’t run and can’t be tackled?

No, but I did have the yellow marker for the courier appear apparently underground. After searching for it and realizing he was nowhere to be found , I just went about my business of being awesome and ignored it.

It seems Ubi is considering a full-blown pirate series separate from the AC franchise. Image of a survey sent from Ubi to some customers:

“In such a game,” a follow-up question says of a non-Assassin’s Creed-branded pirate game, “what would be the most important elements among these below?” Choices include a customizable pirate character, ship, and hideout, a deeper economy, and additional activities at sea or on land. More interestingly, it inquires about player interest in cooperative and multiplayer naval combat, asking survey subjects if they would like to “sail and fight with my friends” and “sail and fight with other players.”

Hell yes to all of it. Forget Assassins, give me Star Citizen in the Caribbean seas.

I totally agree. Get rid of the AC baggage and give me a good ol’ fashioned piratey adventure.

What’s the QT3 consensus on this? Is it any good?

I’ve enjoyed all the AC titles, though after AC2 they’ve been getting slightly worse with each title. AC3 was decent but ultimately forgettable.

Setting aside the fact that you could just read a few pages of the thread… The consensus is that it is good.

Ditch some of AC baggage and go full retarded pirate time with the gorgeous scenery and I will be there.

But spoilers!