Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

What’s the QT3 consensus on this? Is it any good?

Best since Brotherhood, but still dragged down a bit by some of the aspects that they haven’t improved materially since then because of the annual iterations. If you thought AC3 was decent, you should love it.

For those who didn’t know (like me) there’s an Assassin’s Creed 4 companion app on iPhone and Android which lets you play the Kenway fleet stuff away from your console/PC along with a few other stuff.

It’s particularly helpful for keeping treasure maps visible while you hunt around for the treasure! I also like using it to read the data entries and listen to the audio logs that I ignore when I’m actually playing the game. You can even listen to your shanties!

-Tom

Having the map real-time synchronized on my iPad as I play actually makes the pixel hunting tolerable.

Oooh. The idea of having the map available, but not clogging up my view is great. I must check this out.

Yeah, I’m playing this on WiiU right now with the HUD completely turned off on the tv, and with all the map and controls and everything on the game pad. Playing Monster Hunter 3 and Deus Ex the same way too. I guess looking down at the gamepad is distracting to some people, but I think it’s pretty great!

How is the Android version of that companion app, BTW? I’d rather look at it on my Nexus 7 than on my iPod Touch 5th Gen. If I end up not liking it, are there any issues with decoupling the app from the Windows version of the game?

Was thoroughly enjoying this game. The operative word is “was”. Once again Ubisoft has to put some Assassin’s Creed platform jumping bullshit in it to ruin my fun. My pirating has come to a grinding halt as I am stuck on a mission where I have to chase a captain through a swampy area and some how kill him. Now I can’t get out of this mission as it is stuck in an endless loop of failing and reloading the mission over and over again as I can never catch him or see him long enough to fire at him. ><

Yes, that was without a doubt the worst mission in the game. Simply horrible and combining every terrible/broken gameplay mechanic in the game in to one mission that might as well be a crime against humanity.

A good example of a potentially great game very nearly completely destroyed by uncommon instances of horrible missions design and stupid mechanics.

Man that mission did suck. The whole thing. I got eaten by crocodiles a ton but finally made it to the last sequence and then I failed it like 10 times in a row before I hit up a youtube video of success, which showed what was, to me, a fairly unintuitive route to success that I was able to follow immediately to win it.

The worst part of that mission for me was the invisible walls in places you don’t expect. There will be a log or some crap in the water, you will think you can easily jump over it since it looks like nothing and then BAM invisible wall! Then you will have to SLOWLY swim around it while being attacked by crocodiles.

Ugh, WHY do game designers do that shit? It’s like the final chase mission in AC3. You start chasing the main baddie and immediately have an explosion happen in your face, which slows you down enough to fail all by itself. On Kotaku a guy wrote a whole treatise on it: http://kotaku.com/5967220/assassins-creed-iiis-final-chase-sequence-was-the-worst-thing-i-played-all-year

Even worse, I fired up the game one day after not having played for a couple of weeks only to discover that I’d lost four completed missions, and was thrown back to a “tail that guy” mission just prior to “Do Not Go Gently”, where I think Thatch dies. Ugh! So much I had to slog through, all over again!

Ok after much frustration I passed it after some 40 minutes due to an in game glitch. The point where he runs towards the first crowd of guys he got stuck and bugged out doing a weird running dance. I ran into the middle of the crowd and knifed him. I suspect this is not how it was supposed to happen.

I suspect that you’re right on that. ;-) BTW, anyone know how to use Mortars? Are they auto-used if a ship’s far away? By the looks of it, the choice of shipboard weapons to use seems dependent on which way the camera is pointing, right? So chain shot is only available when firing forward, ordinary shot when firing a broadside, etc.

No, there is a button you hold to activate mortar targeting mode and you see a red circle of where the mortar will hit which you can move around.

Ah, thanks. On the keyboard you apparently use Q to do “mortar zoom” and then the regular fire key (LMB) and on the 360 controller it’s left bumper and then right trigger.

You win the thread.

BTW, how F-ing far into the plot do I have to get to get access to the diving bell stuff? I’ve gotten as far as finishing the Tulum island stuff (the first time you go meet “Master” Kidd there–hello, is everyone in this early 18th Century world blind and doesn’t realize that’s a chick?) and going back to Nassau to hear Blackbeard and those guys talking about some big gold shipment. Do I have to wait much longer?

Spoiler question about Tulum

BTW, I went to the “Mayan Outfit” icon on the Tulum map and by the looks of the marker it was a dozen meters underground–how do I get to it? Also, if I go back to Tulum will the Assassins there attack me on sight? The leader there said as much.

Papageno:

1. You will be shown the way by progressing through the story. I’m not sure if you can access it otherwise, but it has been a little while now. It takes A LOT of work to get though.

2. No.

Was the “no” in answer to my spoiler question or about Kidd?