Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

No offense intended towards you specifically, but this is the one downside I see to this. Endless months of people making band references…

Note the TM on the Blag Flag™ : ) Though no R, so a search wouldn’t have helped.

The numbering in the title makes sense when you consider that previously, the AC games have jumped to the next increment when they introduce a new player character. If this game had involved Connor again I bet it would have just been called AC: Black Flag. Still, kind of curious they opted not to continue his story, maybe AC3 wasn’t very successful?

Even more tears, in that case!

Pogue: AC: Liberation had a new player character.

Also, what’s up with the comic book style aesthetic of the poster? I haven’t seen that with past AC games.

This game really needs Blackbeard’s Jolly Roger flag (or at least something better than the lame one on the cover):

You will miss all the bad references when the game comes out and turns out to be fucking terrible if it’s coming out so soon.

The outfit just doesn’t look right, needs moar pirate hat.

Er… as I said earlier… it’s way, way, waaaaaaayyy more successful than its predecessor.

An outstanding performance by the core gamer segment, driven by very high-quality games. Assassin’s Creed 3 was a record-breaking success with more than 12 million sell-in and digitally distributed units, representing an almost 70% increase over Assassin’s Creed Revelations.

I do beg your pardon. Then I would think you would agree that it’s odd that we’re getting a change of character, yes? No reason Connor couldn’t be engaged in acts of piracy - after all, Jean Lafitte pretty much did just that during the Revolutionary War.

I really doubt the change in the protagonist has anything at all to do with the public’s reaction to AC3, good or bad. AC4 is coming soonish (this year, it sounds like,) meaning AC4 was well into development before AC3 was even released.

Still not clear on why they’re jumping to the next number. You’d think they’d save it for the something that takes advantage of the shiny next console genation – but AC4 is only announced for current gen machines, so far.

Gahh, double post.

I personally don’t find the numbering system nearly as interesting as the choice of protagonist. Brotherhood must have been started before AC2 was out then too, right? There was only a year between those games also, if I remember correctly. Why does Ezio get three games while Connor has just one? Strikes me as odd.

Altair just had one game.

Just whatever Ubi thinks will make a good game, I guess.

I guess I could be pedantic and say Altair played a big part in Revelations, but I get your point. Still, there were several years between the first and second AC games, which I assume means they put some thought into what the sequel should do and where it should go and, as you say, they figured they had a winner. Which I guess they don’t figure they have in Connor.

And correctly. Especially coming off of Ezio, Connor felt like a complete personality vacuum.

Two swords, four guns, two whores, one stolen girlfriend. Release date 10/29.

I hope they somehow make the present-day story bearable.

Its very simple to make the present day story enjoyable, have it be a 15 second sequence of Desmond’s dad getting into the animus chair, and all present day supporting cast be voices you hear for facts/updates/goals while in the Pirate world. Follow that up at the end of the game with a 15 second sequence of him getting out of the chair and stating what they have to do in the next game. :p

I don’t think it would be possible to screw up 30 seconds of present day story time.

As an assassin’s creed game, it looks dumb. As a pirate game, it might be fantastic.

Blackbeard was triggering my uncanny valley.

You’ll pardon me, I hope, for skirting near to spoilers but – what present-day story?

saw these posted by rataven over on neogaf

WHALES!