Assassins Creed 4 Pirates

The official soundtrack lacks the raw shanties (or most of them, anyway). Some kind person uploaded them all to YouTube, though, and you can download that and convert to MP3.

Two things about this game, one an observation, one a question.

1. If you jump off your ship, swim up to another ship, and get on board, then kill everyone, you can then go back with your ship and take them over no contest. Ninja-pirate, anyone? How awesome is that?

2. Is there any way to cancel side missions/assassination contracts? I got one where the only way in appears to be guarded by two unapproachable badass ships. Now it stays up on my screen forever.

I think there’s a menu option somewhere to quit the current mission. I also think that option comes up when you die during a mission, or perhaps when you die repeatedly. At least I did cancel out of missions somehow!

Playing my steam sale DLC - I really think this might be the best looking game ever.

Is the multiplayer any fun? I tried it last night, but Ubiservers were apparently down, as I was in “limited mode”…

And yes, it looks incredible! And its also so much fun!

It’s one of the best multiplayer games out there.

Just over 30 hours played so far and I have to agree with everyone. The open world parts are absolutely amazing while the story missions go from abysmal to infuriating. Every time I see that I have to trail another person or eavesdrop on another conversation I just cringe. But out on my ship with the men singing and I spy the sails of a lone galleon crest the horizon, damn, so good.

“What do you do wit’ a drunken sa-ai-ai-lor, What do you do wit’ a drunken sa-ai-ai-lor, What do you do wit’ a drunken sa-ai-ai-lor ear-lay in tha mor-nin’”

Yeah I go to the different islands for the express purpose of getting more shanties. I do the bare minimum missions to unlock more ship upgrades. I love how they make the ocean have terrain. No, not the stupidly close islands and atols, I mean the ocean itself. The waves and the wind, sandbars rocks, all combine to make what could have been a featureless canvas much more interesting. Timing your shots over the crest of a wave? Good. Using those storm waves to take apart a fleet bigger than you should, by using the waves to limit crossfire? Great.

Wait, there was a story in this game? :)

The great thing about this, is that its bound by the old generation of consoles - I can’t wait to see what the next AC game will bring. As many have noted, the islands are quite close to each other, and the world feels a bit tight so I’m hoping for even vaster oceans on the next AC game!

And yes, when my men start singing my favorite shanties, and I’m just cruising the oceans it just feels right. So good!

I’m afraid France doesn’t have that many inland oceans but I’m sure we’ll get really big vineyards. :)

Quick question! Does the game let you keep playing after finishing up the main quest? I’m at the point where I’d like to push through and finish up the story (62% through according to my save), but I don’t want to wrap it up if it keeps me from going back out to keep exploring & pirating it up.

Yes, you can continue and revisit all the unlocked quest locations too.

Excellent, I have maybe 3 missions left before the end and have yet to take out any of the legendary ships. Take on, sure, but it has so far gone poorly.

Most excellent, thank you Chris.

I was a little low on cash the other night and was overjoyed to see a lone galleon loaded down with Rum and Sugar. As I unloaded a volley of mortar fire into it, my daughter who was watching behind me says: “Dad, what does a legendary ship mean?” Shortly thereafter I de-synchronized. I might have been able to beat it, but I only had 5 mortar rounds left so only got it down half way.

Which one? It seems each has a specialty. The SW one is king mortar, and the NE one is a twin team. That said I’ve noticed my mortars are far less effective on the big guys, getting in for a broadside has yielded better results, at least for me.

I just figured out hwo to use heavy shot. I guess that will help on the Legendary ships. I got smoked the first time I took one on.

It was the ship in the SW. I was able to dodge a number of his mortar shots, but was too cautious about getting in close, just so many cannons sticking out!

I have to admit that I’ve never figured this out! I’ve even upgraded my heavy shot along the way, but have never fired any lol.

Pretty easy, though I don’t ever remember them telling you how to do it. Line up your shot via just looking left or right and attack without aiming (i.e. on console, pull the right trigger without aiming with the left trigger first). The shots should look like they are on fire.

Also note it aims in the same way a normal broadside does too, meaning you can change the elevation of a shot. One easy way to land heavy shot is to line up using the trigger, then let go just before shooting. Voila, aimed heavy shot.