Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

So, I tried the Pig at a slightly lower level and got my ass handed to me. So, I gained a level and went back.

Just as I was finishing the first phase, sure enough, a mercenary showed up – one that had been tracking me. I was all like “oh, crap” until I noticed he started engaging the Pig rather than me. I kept my distance, took care of the adds, plinked some damage into Ol’ Hoss, and eventually took down the Pig. Immediately the mercenary turned his anger towards me but he had been severely damaged by the beast and proved an easy target.

Serendipity. Awesomeness.

Still loving the game at level 20. Haven’t felt like I’ve had to “grind” at all; but one person’s playing the game is another’s grind.

p.s. I love tracking down cultists.

I just made it into Athens the first time. So pretty. Clambered up Pallas Athene’s butt and sat on her crest overlooking the city… It was exactly like those plates that used to hang in the classroom where greek and latin were taught. The colors, the shapes. It felt like a strong deja-vu.

The random babble of people on the street is proper greek too. My greek is too long ago to make sense of it, but I do recognise it as sounding right.

The statue of Athena is also very properly awe inspiring when you get to her. Because of where she’s positioned on a high hill, it’s tough to see her from the lower levels of Athens, but then you come up the stairs and turn the corner and it’s like “HOLY S***”

Just got off the tutorial island. I have my ship. Malaka you guys are so far ahead of me.

But I am catching up.

I’m at lvl 26 and still loving the game, but started experiencing a lot of CTDs with it over teh weekend. Updated my video drivers, put it in fullscreen windowed mode, turned down some of its settings, nothing helped. Put Uplay in offline mode and not a single crash for days.

I am just gonna say it: My Cassandra needs/wants a shield! Ubisoft? sigh.

Just doesn’t seem Greek enough to me without a shield. (Consider I am not an ac gal originally this is my first one).

And JOSH --before you tell me scientifically that Greeks at 350 bc only used shield to “brush their teeth” I am thinking more like “what the heck? Why can’t I grab a hoplon and hoplite?”

Sheesh. What is my off hand a magic half spear?

I have a collection of shields I can lend you, if you were playing Origins. :p

Chickens almost got me. Good heavens,

You need to stream yourself playing , for pointers and lulz. ;)

I’d be mortified. I came so close to dying by those chickens even after being warned. And that was after wolves, sharks, and I fell off a cliff on my horse.

Nature was kicking ass back then!

I started to shy around all the goats.

Chickens were fairly new to Greece, imported by the Persians during their attempts at invasions. So they hate all Greeks with a passionate burning fury and will fight them tooth and claw. Beware the Chicken!

The Greek word for shield isn’t hoplon. Not sure what you mean by “grabbing a […] hoplite”! :-P

But no, shields were part and parcel of melee fighters in ancient Greece. Except in the case of some lone heroes depicted in art, like Theseus or Heracles (no doubt the designers of the game reasoned that it would make sense for the hero of the game to be as lightly equipped as possible). Though note that there’s an Archaic Greek poem, (wrongly) attributed to Hesiod, called “The shield of Heracles”.

Perhaps germane: the hero Asteropaeus, who fights Achilles in the Iliad, and who was ambidextrous and fought with two swords. He didn’t use a shield.

Actually, chickens are depicted in Greek art (Attic black figure pottery) in the sixth century BC. They were not “imported” by the Persians during their “invasions” (which probably weren’t invasions proper anyway). However, they of course almost certainly did make their way from further east to Greece via the Persian Empire (trade, guest-friendships, and the like). Chickens were initially considered of great value, and roosters were exchanged as gifts in pederastic relationships. (The typical farm bird in ancient Greece was the goose).

Sorry for the pedantic posts.

I find your posts fascinating and not pedantic at all, so please don’t stop.

Will this game still play well on an original PS4? I want to play it so badly, but I am unsure how some of the newer games play on the older system.

Same here, @JoshoB . Please keep doing that because it’s awesome. ;)

Playing this on an original PS4 and I am happy with it. I have no frame of reference for other systems but I find the controls are responsive and I think the game looks great on the original PS4.

Great, thanks @Tohree! I have been waiting for as Assassin’s Creed game to grab me like Black Flag did. Black Flag and the original Dragon Age, are the high water mark of console gaming for me.

AC is perhaps the only franchise, other than Mario, that my wife will play with me. And I spend most of my time in Mario games getting both of us killed.