Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

Wow, another one already? I thought they were going to space the games out more starting with this last one?

I want to love these games but I only get to like them and never finish them - the repetitive nature and spotty controls. Still, haven’t played all (or even finished the ones I have played). Have Unity and Syndicate still in their wrappers.

It’s become like the Zelda games for me in a way: I fell in love with Link To The Past and ever since then, aside from the N64 titles, I’ve picked up nearly every title released hoping to find the same magic and being let down. Not Nintendo’s fault, some of the games were actually very good (looking at you Wind Waker), but it’s the same album released over and over again but each time recorded in a better studio with better equipment and a slight reworking of the songs. Yet, I still buy them. The two DS titles (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks) I only played for about an hour each, only being mildly entertained and yet I just picked up Link Between Worlds.

Same with the AC games. I had a great time with AC2 but can’t seem to put much time into any of the sequels…I lose interest after a while. So I can’t believe yet another entry is being announced so closely after the last one

The other AC team was working on this while the Origins team was doing their thing. This is built from Origins’ tech, so think of it like Revelations or Brotherhood.

Origins is very different from previous AC games. Mechanically, it plays a lot more like an action RPG with levels, skill trees, loot with stats, etc. The combat itself is completely changed from previous games in the series.

I played half of AC3 and all of Black Flag so far this year. Unity is on my next-to-play list after I finish God of War, but it’s not looking good for catching up by October. I do like the looks of this though, and from the little I’ve seen of my roommate playing Origins, I’m not going to complain about more of that.

I’d be more impressed with Kassandra if they actually had looked into history and legends and found some inspiration there. I could probably think of a half dozen more interesting origins for a female protagonist in Greece in 431 BC. Give her some foreign blood, maybe Persian, Gothic, or Dardanian. Instead we’ve got a female mirror image of the gruff “Spartan” hero that I guess must be derived from the Spartans in 300. I don’t mind them departing from history as long as they at least don’t make it less interesting.

Oh well. I’ve only been waiting 20 years for a game where I can explore Greece during the Peloponnesian War. Maybe in 2038 I’ll get one that’s had as much thought put into it as money.

/sings 🎵Tri-umphant Champion of Itha-ca🎵

Is there any precedent for mythological creatures in the AC series? Half the fun of Titan Quest was spotting all the creatures and settings from my childhood obsession with the myths and legends of the ancient world. Even if its just set in Ancient Greece I’m already smitten with the setting. Why havent they done Rome yet?

Hopefully Origins will turn up in a sale at some point and i’ll be able to play that before this comes out.

Origins is on sale at GMG

Revenge burns in my heart, thrashing and slashing down all my foes, to claim the throne!

Hell yes to mythological creatures. I’d love to fight a medusa, Clash of the Titans style.

I was watching a bit of gameplay, and the speed of these boats seems farcical. Really makes naval combat look like a joke.

I noticed that UBI upped their game and are offering an digital ULTIMATE edition of the game for $120.

I can’t figure out what it offers extra though. D:

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?pid=5afda8aa6b54a4271407a875&lang=en_US&dwvar_5afda8aa6b54a4271407a875_Platform=pcdl

It’s the only version with the ‘Deluxe Pack’ and the Season Pass, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, they removed the deluxe content from the gold edition, and now made an ultimate edition with it. Bastids.

The scope is all good, but that ship combat :/

163,000 damage! Huzzah!

Also FYI no new AC game in 2019!

Good news for my attempts to catch up on the series! I’ll be lucky if I’ve started Origins by the end of this year.

They really do crank these AC games out fast. I still need to play Rogue now that it’s on the PS4.

I usually play the dude, but Kassandra is so aggressively attractive. Damn girl - you get it.

I watched the Kassandra trailer but I haven’t played an AC game since Black Flag. In the trailer, it seemed like all the fights were either on a battlefield, in armor, against someone else in armor who knew you were there, or against an animal. Are they somehow moving away from stealth now?