Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

Right, they have it in controls, choice to Toggle the Walk action. But it doesn’t say what key or let you re-map it.

I’ll give CTRL another try but I’m pretty sure I’ve checked it out. CTRL, ALT, Z… all the usual suspects.

It’s CTRL. Just tested it for you :)

Rebind it under Controls > Customize Controls

I was a strict mouse/kb but I did grab a controller for this game. There are a LOT of special powers and stuff. I forget almost everything when I panic. I panic a LOT.

So when you know you panic in combat you gear up. I am always trying to edge up in gear and skills to crest that difficulty. The controller is pretty good except for arrow aiming.

Part of my particular problem is this is my first AC.

The merc thing is cool, but its still a pale shadow of the nemesis in Shadows of War. Shadow of War I had some pretty amazing random generated combats where I thought I was hunting one orc, then another orc is hunting me, and then that orc is hunted by another merc. Would be cool if Odyssey took this more in depth. I do like that its in the game though, plus the cultists.

The merc system disappointed me when I realized I couldn’t wipe all of them out, the system just kept re-populating its tiers with new mercs.

Is there any consequence for failing mission board missions besides not getting the loot? I just grab every mission on the board, and I stumble into completing 3/4 while going about my business.

I’m still only in megaris, but I also can’t make heads or tails on if there is an actual faction system between Sparta and Athens, or if my choices in dialog mean anything meaningful at all

I did the first couple of batches and then never touched any timed or board missions for the rest of the game. They are really just filler and contributed to grind, so I dumped them. I still managed to hit 50 with many side quests to spare, so I think it is safe to do so.

I finished the game at about 85 hours and I really enjoyed this title. It had that Bethesda wander exploration vibe that most games don’t get which I enjoyed. The idea of “What’s that over there?” worked great for myself here. The ability system and combat system felt really on point, and most ability points you could feel being useful right away. At the very end of the game, when I had a full legendary boat, legendary 50 gear, legendary engravings, etc. I did overpower the content. I was able to basically 3 shot the final Merc. The funny thing is that before I 50’d up everything (which took some doing as much of my gear was in the 45 range) I struggled with some of these fights. When I was tricked out they were a breeze which seems about right? I didn’t really feel like I was breezing through stuff until the very end, so for the most part the progression system worked for me.

I felt like one of the three main story endings was pretty cool, and the other two that you need to do were pretty “meh”. I will be interested to hear what other people think once more get there. (Trying not to be spoilery). A pity because up until then I was enjoying the story. But it didn’t matter because this title was really about the game play, the setting, and Kassandra, and all of those were big hits to me.

Did you dump the board missions that award orichalcum (sic?) as well?

Yep! Didn’t need them. All I ever saw for Orchiculum was purples and legs’s and honestly you get so much loot by just playing the game…I could have missed something here, but I didn’t spend much time on Orichulum at all.

Some of the legendary items you get from the Orchiculum merchant are pretty cool. One of the random items I received was a dagger set called “The Greek Hello”. The set was then registered under the “owned” column in the store so I think I should be able to use it on future runs. I also got a Pegasus skin for my horse that registered as owned in the store as well.

You lucked out. Both of those are store items. Just like in Origins, there’s a small chance of winning stuff that you can buy with real money. But it’s a really tiny chance, according to Ubi.

And yes, once you unlock a store item it’s yours for all future plays.

Thanks for confirming. Figured I got lucky with those.

Up to level 9 I had been spreading my points around between hunter, warrior and assassin trying things out. But then I got to the climactic Megaris battle and was getting my ass handed to me (on easy). So for the first time I refunded all my points which allowed me to pick over and I focused on all of the warrior things including 2nd Wind which is absolutely a game-changer.

Anyway, breezed through after that. I’m sure a lot of you are aware of this; refunding skill points (for a few drachmae) and key skills like 2nd Wind.

Thanks for the advice, above, about the Orchiculum and chances to get the cool stuff that way. While I find I’m getting plenty of Rares and Epics even, now that I have gotten a taste of Legendaries I’m determined to become a collector and a packrat in this game too.

Couple of asks:

I got the starter pack with the armor and weapon sets; one is a Rare, the other a Legendary. They were both level 5 and I used them for a bit but didn’t upgrade. If this character isn’t going to use them should I sell them? I expect if/when I start a new game they will be there for me again.

What do most people do with the weapons and armor they buy and find and then outgrow? If you’re not going to keep upgrading it to keep it useful I mean. I have been breaking down the normal stuff that doesn’t sell for much for the mats. And selling Rares and Epics for the drachmae.

Finally, do only “Legendary” armor sets have set bonuses? Are there sets of Rare and Epics in the game that have bonuses for having all the pieces?

I break down 90% of the time. The higher quality items give you the rarer resources like obsidian and precious gems. Sometimes when I’m really short on drachmae I’ll sell them, but it’s mostly been materials I’m short on.

My rule of thumb for gear I outgrew was this: Break down greys and blues, sell purples, store Epics. I don’t think you can actually sell or breakdown the Epics, and you can store them on your boat.

There are only Epic sets. There are several and you will get them through natural progression of the game. There is no random RNGesus to pray to in order to get the sets thankfully. Also, if you upgrade set pieces, or any Epic really the bonus pips also upgrade! So a weapon with say a 1 pip 1% assasin damage skill when upgraded will also upgrade the afix to a 5 pip 10% Assasin skill…

For weapons, pay attention to the Mercs that pop up on the different tiers, as many of them are the source of your Epic weapons.

For abilities I went with a fairly heavy Warrior build, but was still able to do quite a bit of stealth damage. Here is the layout I ended with:

Abilities I found most useful:
Second Wind: Must Have… Get out of jail free card.
Rush Assasination: OK, This thing is nuts. With it, you can take out a small camp with one adreneline point. You can also use a nifty trick with it where you hit the captain, then hit another bystander, then hit the captain again if you didn’t kill him the first time =) You can chain 4 kills with one use!
Slow Time: Fix frustrations. Have a spear guy who keeps knocking you down, or a rusher who keeps slamming into you? slow time and then get your revenge =) Lasts ten seconds. Not much lives through ten seconds.
Ring of Chaos: Such a useful tool in almost every situation. Really useful for boarding parties! Jump on boat, hit Ring of Chaos, and fling everyone into the water! Win!
Devastating Shot: First it snap aims the target, so you can use it during battle. Next it can one shot a lot of the big thugs you meet that can take melee damage all day long.

Those are all excellent tips. I find I am having more fun now exploring, leveling, doing whatever and then jumping into a big quest move. Plus I am over leveling a tad though it scales a lot. I think that I am getting better at combat so it is getting more fun in that department.

respeccing at crucial levels allows you to maximize a bit. I think I resppecd at level 16 and was able to poor more points in my warrior tree in some nice slots.

(second wind is a must ESP when you are cleaning up the fire shooting bandits and some mercenary arrives! Malaka!)

How do you outlevel things? Everything in my game stays the same leve as me.

That boar… ugh.

Enidigm there is a scaling but it caps in areas (for certain quests it appears) and you can get 2 levels up on random/standard area quests by running around and doing other easier stuff (“take this medicine to farmer antonosis”).

I was still in Phokis messing around at 17.

I am not positive how scaring works but this made some things easier for me.

I outleveled the boar. I went and found him when I was 13. So was he. I died 3 or 4 times. Went and did other quests, got to 14. Made sure I had (especially) level 14 weapons. Respecced to warrior for that fight. Won it, satisfyingly.