Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's time to Greek out

Excellent. I was in Italy for 2 1/2 years but I still have a few friends I keep in touch with there, one in Naples. Greece was beautiful, I only wish I had gotten to see it more, or that I can convince my SO to go there with me sometime. Post some pics of Crete around here after you go so we can drool at them!

Great article! Though I should probably play the game first, but was intrigued. Skimmed through the site, will definitely bookmark and check it out.

Thx Josh I will read your article soon.

I’m such a newb here but Talos is bugging the crap out of me and he’s still a level above me (him 5, me 4.) I can’t get any quests done, as he ends up showing up and patrolling around any of the objective locations.

Is this supposed to happen? Also, is the rest of this game going to automatically level up with me, meaning I can’t gain levels and be able to more quickly finish quests?

I don’t know who Talos is. But yes, the rest of the game ‘levels up with you’. Exactly how close to your level depends on difficulty setting.

I was able to get him. He’s the very first bounty hunter. Essentially I just need to branch out a bit on the quests away from the starter area. That way I finished one quest, and a couple of ? areas and made level 5. Talos went down easily after that.

I do see now that the auto-leveling is a setting as well, thanks for that quick answer, Richard.

The way I dealt with him: lured him to the coast, then kicked him into the water. Be sure to do this where there’s a straight edge, like on a quay or something. Then, watch him drown. Shoot some arrows into him if you want to make it more “sporting”. :-P

Alternatively, climb up somewhere hire and shoot him. If he climbs up, stand on the edge and kick him off. (I’ve killed a few bounty hunters this way that were way higher level than I was at the time.)

I ended up getting a good assassination on him once I hit the same level, then followed a tip that if you move away, his first return attack is always parry-able, then you do a small light hit combo, back off and repeat. If in trouble, kick or rush him. He was a piece of cake once at his level.

I WILL use that higher ground tip, though. Something tells me there are going to be a lot of these.

AC Odyssey should be patching to version 1.11, which introduces Master levels.

72 different “master level” categories, into which you can pour 20 points each. Only available after you hit level 50, I think, and mainly intended to be an ability points sink for high level characters.

They also introduce the next question in the current seasonal quest line, and set things up for the first DLC quest when that drops on December 4.

And also a goodly amount of bug fixes, etc.

Spoiler-filled musings on the end game:

It’s a shame that the other character doesn’t become playable in the end game. They’re standing right there on my deck, why not let me play as them now? I would use Kassandra to sail the ship but try Alexios on land, to see and hear something a bit different after 100 hours. Or they could have independent skill trees, and you would take the one that fitted your plans best. Something like Syndicate from what I remember. Seems a shame to have people miss out on half the voice acting and it would be a brilliant and meaningful reward for getting the main plot to the stage where this could happen.

Here’s another article on the game. This time, I write about Spartan baby-killing, ancient triremes, and those silly Third Reich-style banners/flags that are everywhere and based on absolutely nothing.

There’s another article scheduled for tomorrow, where I go through all the historically-flavoured hints that you see on the loading screens.

Was there a big underserved demographic somewhere, crying out for this…?

No but there was a big orchestra and choir looking for work and a former employer that was sympathetic to their plight.

Were there really only 300 Spartans at Thermopylae? Did the Persians bring chickens to Greece? Does Zeus have an issue with fidelity? My article on the game’s historically-tinged loading screen hints is now available. I hope I managed to collect them all.

I love these articles. I’m really curious to see what happens when Ubisoft releases the Discovery Tour update.

Couldn’t find if question had already been asked in the thread…is there any long term benefit to taking one side consistently in conquests? Is it worth to always help Sparta or Athens or can you just go back and for as you wish.

Go back and forth. You’ll probably develop a favorite side, but from what I can tell, quests have required me to be fairly fungible in my loyalties at times.

I get the feeling that we’ll find out that this faction system was basically a first iteration of something they’ll build out more robustly for future AC games.

It has no impact. There are quests that push you onto one side or the other, but the ones you take on yourself don’t have any real effect, whichever side you take. Seemed a shame to me. I hope you’re right Triggy.

Agreed with @Alistair. The faction stuff is just a fancy way of offering you a normal or hard group fight with a fancy reward. It’s a missed opportunity to have an impact on the story.